How do i hook up my dc to my monitor?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
hosdaboss
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do i hook up my dc to my monitor?

Post by hosdaboss »

How do i hook up my dc to my monitor
Marvin
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Marvin »

You need a product usually called a VGA Box. There are a lot of different brands, I have seen them priced from ten dollars to fifty dollars. The most costly is the one from SEGA, but the others work just as well. Make sure that the one you choose has the audio output connections that you need.
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Or you could build your own VGA adaptor by following these instructions:

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1782

I hope this helps :)
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
Neo Matrix IV
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Neo Matrix IV »

Is there a way to mod this circuit and make an AV 2 VGA circuit instead of DC 2 VGA????
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

I am afraid not :(

VGA uses completely different sync frequencies than normal 'AV' video and alas there is no easy way to convert the signal.

You can buy converters to connect any video source to a VGA monitor, but these are either VERY expensive, or have VERY bad picture quality :(
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
hosdaboss
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by hosdaboss »

That whole build a vga box thing is way out of my league..Can i just go to EB and tell them to order it? Or do i have to order it myself.....my tv isnt that bad :D
emeraldsonic
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by emeraldsonic »

Is their a way to do this without any switches just straight DC -> Monitor I would like this since I have very little knowledge when it comes to this type of thing and if I want to use composite again I will just plug the appropriate cable in. Plus I would like this as cheap as possible since I am unemployed and my reserve money is drying up
BobsShadow
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by BobsShadow »

You can buy converters to connect any video source to a VGA monitor, but these are either VERY expensive, or have VERY bad picture quality
There is now an adapter availible from pelican acessories for 50$ that has multiple AV inputs. I am unaware of its quality however. I would suggest buyin a real VGA adapter for Dreamcast since AV to VGA generally has poor quality compared to a direct VGA signal. I would reccomend the Performance VGA adapter, which has a PC signal pass through port so you can have your PC and Dreamcast connected to the same monitor. It also has TV AV out as well. It comes with all the necessary cables to do so and is only 40$. Definately worth the money in my opinion.
Damn My Signature Sucks!
Visit Sega Fan's VMU HQ
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

ShadowofBob wrote: I would reccomend the Performance VGA adapter, which has a PC signal pass through port so you can have your PC and Dreamcast connected to the same monitor, blah, blah, blah...
i agree, thats the one i have, and not only is its quality very good, it *looks* like a piece of dc hardware (color and shape blend it) and the passthru makes it much easier to use...only prob is no volume knob which means if you were planning to use your pc speakers, make sure they have their own volume control (or youll have to do like me and get a headphone inline volume adjuste)...they dont really need to be amplified as even though the sound is all coming straight from the dc av-out, it is actually quite loud and i generally keep the volume around half, but if youre playing in a high traffic area, you might want amplified speakers (or headphones)