How do I make wireless DC controls?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do I make wireless DC controls?

Post by Sir Savant »

Does anyone have a treamcast? If so, how did they get the control for the VCDS? Is it a plug that sends info like the Wavebirds and such? Can someone send me the schematics or a rough drawing of something like this? Anything, ideas or anything, would be nice.Thanks in advance for any help.
ghostparty
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by ghostparty »

There are third-party wireless controllers, but they don't have every control that the original DC controller has.
Chile
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chile »

like, tey don't have a x button or something?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

No analog stick, no VMU slot.
Chile
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chile »

wow, that sucks. think they could make one like the original? I know there are original nes and snes wireless controllers that came out recently
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

That is what I was thinking, make wireless ones for the original controls, then if it was cheap and easy enough to make I would make a tutorial but if not sell some on ebay for you guys. But anyone know where I can get specifics on data transfer through IR ports? Cause if not, I will just buy a wavebird and a ps2 control and see If I can combine my DC into the wireless ports and make them wireless.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

i think the main problem though is getting the vmu to work. between the vmu and the actual port on the front of the dreamcast, its all data. but on a wireless controller, between the controller and the receiver, its all transmitted via a morse-code type of deal (research on how RC car transmitters work). this is why, for example, the one wireless controller for the xbox has the memory card slots in the receiver and not the controller. it would simply be impossible to transmit all that data wirelessly without using expensive technology (for a controller anyhow).
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Okay, I dont really care for the memory card. I have another controller and can use its ports for memory. I dont need to know specifics for a rumble control either, cause that would be a lot too. But if anyone knows how exactly other wireless controls send data, I would be ecstatic! Please, if anyone even knows where I may get such information, please post. Thank you.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

your best bet if your not worried about the memory card is to get one of the already available wirless controllers like what ghostparty suggested.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I am sorry, I just want one with the analog joystick thing, what nintendo refers to as "3D Stick". I would be more than happy to shell out some money to make one, preferably if I learn how to and can then benefit the community.

Honestly, dreamcast would be a lot better with wireless controllers. But that is just me.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Well unless you have a lot of electrical knowlage, more than just soldering...a lot more. The easiest option would be hacking up another pad, but I don't think that would work unless you had a PS2 to DC adapter or something...I think, but I probably got confused :? :lol:
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

the analog stick is another case of being problematic in wireless. instead of a simple morse code system, again, it would have to transfer data since the analog stick works with integers. for example, all left would be -256, and all right would be +256. and center is 0. whereas didigtal is simply just making a closed circuit on each direction.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

So then how do they make it on the newer consoles wireless?
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

in that case, the companies that made the wireless controllers had the technology and knowhow to make them.

but for average users like us who cant do much more than solder dont have the expertise to manage something like this since there was never a wireless controller for the dc that had an analog stick.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

well it would obvously have to run on batterys...but this would be very hard...
Feel it, Don't think
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

in that case, the companies that made the wireless controllers had the technology and knowhow to make them.

but for average users like us who cant do much more than solder dont have the expertise to manage something like this since there was never a wireless controller for the dc that had an analog stick.
Yes there is. I own and use a pair. They were put out by a company called DOC's. The company no longer makes them, but I'm sure they still have their website, and their tech support will give you some sites that still sell them. I think the model number is DOC's 1504. They come in a pair, with a single VMU mount that acts as Port 1A.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Where is that website!?! I have not found it yet. Just a bunch of sites that list them(maybe) and usually only say "not in stock". Could you point me in the right direction at least?

Schematics for something like this are always welcome. Even for ones without analog.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Dunno dude, I just stumbled on it, over a year ago. Hell, check ebay.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.