psone, dead fuse. Need a little insight

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

psone, dead fuse. Need a little insight

Post by Quall »

I was attempting a case mod and I bumped the PSOne laser lens on accident. I went to see if the ps1 still read games without struggling, but it didn't even turn on. I found out that one of the fuses have blown, but cannot find it anywhere to buy.

The fuse is labled "PS600" on the main board, and has the numbers "2.3" written on it. I know most of the other PS60# fuses are 1amp (and have "20" written on them), but this one is different

Anyways, does anyone know where I can buy PSone Fuses? Or, what the PS600 fuse is rated as, so I can solder on a non-psone fuse as a replacement? Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Quall on Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

hmmm, im not sure to be honest, id do a tempory fuse replacement with a 1 amp fuse. im merely guessing, but id imagine that the fuse that blew would either be equal to or a bit greater in its amp rating. ive used automotive fuses as replacements for the fuses in various electronics and it works ok.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

if its the main fuse, just look at how many amps the external psu, of psu board is rated to give out
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Quall »

hmm, 2.0 amps. I didn't even think of that. I will just buy 3 fuses. 1.0, 2.0, 2.3. If one blows (without me shorting it), I will go to the next higher fuse. thanks for the help.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

then try the 2 amp fuse first, the 1 amp will short for sure
Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Quall »

yah, i thought of that as I was driving to radio shack. I ended up getting only a 2amp fuse. Installed it, powered on a couple times (not hooked to a tv) and all was fine. Then popped on the metal shielding and cd-rom, and blew another [different] fuse (son of a....). Argh, i will just electrical tape up the board and put the cd-rom on, forget the metal shielding.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

maybe the metal shield is shorting the board out somewhere, that would be the only way for the thing to blow only with the metal on
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Isn't there a plastic sheild that goes under the PSU. Theres one on the Saturn, I think the DC also has one
Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Quall »

DrFreeze, that was the reason why they were blowing, and why I will just use electrical tape to seperate the cd-rom from the mobo, then hot glue so key spots to lift it up a little. I just fixed the other fuse today, and it is working perfectly now.

mattthemodder, maybe the psx's do, but the newer PSones don't. It is just the mobo, with metal shielding above and below the board, then the cd-rom ontop of that. There really isn't a psu, the power cord does what the power supply would.