Battery power for psx?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Battery power for psx?

Post by Quall »

Hello. I was thinking about doing a portable ps1 mod, and was wondering if anyone knows what type of battery pack I should use. I have read that camcorder batteries work well, but have seen some that costed a hefty price. The battery will also be powering an LCD screen (5") that I have not yet chosen (so i am unsure on the votage needed). I was hoping to get at the very least 2 hours of play with it which is why i bothered to ask. I was also thinking that I might hook the lcd to a seperate power supply, if it would add a descent amount of game time.

I guess this questions is for people that may have already done this mod. And I'm asking for a little insight. If you have, care to share some?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The best way to extend the life of the LCD screens for the PSone is to replace the backlight with two white LEDs. They give you a considerable deal more battery life, and the result is much the same. You can also do something to a particular point on the mainboard of the screen to force the brightness up. There's more in-depth information available here: http://www.doomportables.org/video.html#backlight

Good luck with the mod :D.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Quall »

Thanks, if I ever get started/finished, I will post the pics.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Definatly replace the backlight with LEDs... Make sure to make a detachable power conenction for a wall plaug so oyu can use it when near a wall... Just becuase...
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Quall »

yah,. i planned on doing both. I wouldn't want to have to wait for my battery to power up every time I wanted to play the playstation. I will probably add a coaxial plug to output too a tv too, it wouldn't hurt.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

If there's AYTHING you need to know about PS1, I'm the one to ask... I knowa lot! Like the possibility of creating a portable ps1 isn't very practical, unless you have the tools... someone liek me couldn't do it... I don't have CAD machines that make whatever you created through CAD or anything... Computers and machines that mold plastic how you program and stuff... That would be sweet... I would have some serious customized stereo and video game equipment if i had that... Sweet! :)
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Quall »

:)
Well, you needn't a CAD machine and machinary for the case. Just some dimensions and a home made plastic vaccum form table. If you have a shop vac, a cookie sheet to poke holes in, and a frame to put the plstic in while you melt it in an oven, then creativity is the hardest part (in making the case). Luckily, I have all 3, although, I would make a poo case first.

The rest is just screw drivers, a dremel , and a soldering iron. My ps1+LCD should be delivered about thursday.