Broken XBOX, Whats my best bet?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by DCFan2004 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:41 am

Possibly, what kind of drive is it? What would you want for it or how much do you want for it?
Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Quall » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:14 pm

Read the first sentance to see what drive it is. :roll:

As for repairing, do what said above about pot tweaking. If all fails, buy a new laser. Llama is about $30, ebay is probably a lil cheaper than that.

I would not recommend selling it in any case, I cannot believe people even recommended it. The only problem is the laser. Selling it for $50 and buying a new one for $150 is in no way worth it. With such a small problem, you would surely be getting ripped off. Now if the mobo was damaged or something more extreme than a dead laser happened, it might be worth selling.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:31 pm

Quall wrote:As for repairing, do what said above about pot tweaking. If all fails, buy a new laser. Llama is about $30, ebay is probably a lil cheaper than that.

I would not recommend selling it in any case, I cannot believe people even recommended it. The only problem is the laser. Selling it for $50 and buying a new one for $150 is in no way worth it. With such a small problem, you would surely be getting ripped off. Now if the mobo was damaged or something more extreme than a dead laser happened, it might be worth selling.
While I agree that things should be done in that order, I will note that they have Phillips drives for $100 now. Only the Samsung units cost $150. So if he DOES botch the POT job and is not confident enough to replace the laser, it is a valid option. Besides, if his mobo was damaged, he could always get a new one of that, too. :D
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:50 pm

I got a old xbox drive I am willing to trade or something let me know if you want it
Thats why i said what drive, i wasnt asking what drive was broken or anything cause i was the original poster with the broken xbox. As for the xbox, my bro already bought a new one, so i now have a free xbox to do as i please. I'll take a look on ebay for a new drive, hopefully a samsung if i can get one cheap or a phillips if all else fails. Other than repairing it, ill probably do some mods to it if im openign the case anyways.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:33 am

I got a tompson dvd drive and a samsung but thats going into a my modded systemif you need the tompson(it works fine) let me know i have a xbox case and a ps2 motherboard and working cdrom I did a flip top mod and after a while the thing stopped working I know the drive is good on that to.