Electronics help concerning PS2

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Yoda572
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Electronics help concerning PS2

Post by Yoda572 »

I'm not a big whiz in electronics, so I don't know all the effects of what. Anyways, would soldering some 12 volt things to the Mobo power supply affect the PS2 performance at all?

The power supply is seperate from the rest of the PS2, and goes in through a different kind of molex, 4 pins and all.

I have a standard 80 mm fan running for it.
The lights I want to use are 4x 4 inch cathode tubes with two inverters. Two blue and Two UV. Thanks for any help.
Agent21KGB
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Agent21KGB »

Seen others do it and it works ok. Wouldn't do it myself. but that is just me.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Should be fine... I would hook them all up, and play the PS2 for about 2 hours to get an idea of long term effects. Maybe the PS2 starts to strain from the power loss. You never know. Where did you get your blue cathode tube. I need 2... :cry:
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Agent21KGB
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Agent21KGB »

Power loss on the ps2. no way man. I have had 4 usb hubs hooked to it running ps2 linux with the HDD installed. the thing is a beast!
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

and if powerloss is an isue, you could consider using a different psu, same voltage, more power sort of thing
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Yoda572
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Yoda572 »

Hmm, the cold cathodes are from SVCCompucycle. I haven't ordered them yet, but will eventually. I don't think there'd be any hinderance since they're only lights, and the fan doesn't even draw an amp.

I e-mailed a guy who did car neons with inverters running, but he hasn't responded yet so I don't know. Also, do inverters make a lot of heat?