PC

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
extrememodder
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PC

Post by extrememodder »

hey you guys. a good friend of mine is having some problems with her computer and I want to know if you guys could help.

whenever she is on line, if she tries to type in a url her computer either freezes or says that she has performed an illegal operation and closes the explorer<spelling?

the same thing happens when she tries to open a folder or program on her computer.
i believe she is running windows 98.

any ideas?
Check out this riddle, if any body figures it out PM me, not for the answer though:

A little pool with two layers of wall around it.
One white and soft and the other dark and hard,
amidst a light brown grassy lawn with an outline of a green grass
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

- First off, it's Windows 98, and that's the problem, but enough of that.

Go for the requisite things:
- Virus Scan (often enough)
- Windows Update

If it's not a virus, and Windows Update can't fix the problem with the patches, then Explorer may have been corrupted some how.
extrememodder
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by extrememodder »

she is signing up right now, she will post about it soon.
Check out this riddle, if any body figures it out PM me, not for the answer though:

A little pool with two layers of wall around it.
One white and soft and the other dark and hard,
amidst a light brown grassy lawn with an outline of a green grass
HXCGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

My Computer

Post by HXCGamer »

Yes, I am the owner of this computer that my friend here is talking about. We live next to each other. The problem with my computer has nothing to do with Windows 98, considering that Windows 98 is one of the best programs out there to run on your computer. My computer has no virus what so ever, I have looked into that many, many times. I did, though, download a program to check things out on my computer and it said that the browser had been hijacked, or someone had attempted that. Im not sure if that could be the problem. But I'm in the process of finding out. The problem is this: Everytime I bring up a web page, and I go to click on the URL, it does an Explorer shut down. Same with if I click any of the things in the tool bar at the top (file, tools, etc etc). Also, sometimes if I bring up certain programs out of the blue it tends to shut down on me because, obviously, it don't like me very much. Windows Update won't fix anything, I've tried that also. I'm about to throw the computer out of my window. I tried to re-format my computer to see if it would fix the problem, but it wont format either, it just freezes and I have to restart the computer. So is there anyone who can help me try and find out what the hell is going on with my POS?
_-'*'-_AcIdHaLo_-'*'-_
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

To format it you need to be in DOS I think so it shouldn't freeze or restart :?
HXCGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by HXCGamer »

I'm not smart enough to do that though, LoL. I don't want to go into DOS and screw something up, I might make it even worse!
_-'*'-_AcIdHaLo_-'*'-_
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

Your computer freezes while formatting?
------------------------------------------------------------
In DOS,

-Boot up with Windows 98 Startup Disk (Floppy)
-Start it with CD Support
-When it's finished loading
-> FORMAT C: \S

- When finished formatting, install Windows 98 again
-------------------------------------------------------------

Please do find out if you have any viruses, trojans, or spyware (they are fairly buggy often). Grab Ad-Aware off the internet while you're at it.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Yeah, whenever I start getting huge problems, I format. My advice would be to backup the stuff you need and do what typoEDR said^^. Windows always feels so clean after a fresh format.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

what happened is you messed up your ie get netscape or something and download a new ie
HXCGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by HXCGamer »

The thing is, I don't have a windows start up disk. Which is quite a big problem. I have ad aware, the new version. now what do i do if i don't have a windows sart up disk
_-'*'-_AcIdHaLo_-'*'-_
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

Well, for now, go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

They have boot disk images for almost every Windows OS. Download your version, then insert a floppy (preferably blank) and run the executable (it'll create the boot disk for you).
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

Or, if you want it to do it by yourself (sorry for the double post), I just remembered how to make your own (I'm running a dual boot Windows98/WindowsXP system, usually on XP, so I forget).

Go to the Windows Control Panel (Start > Settings > Control Panel )
- Find Add/Remove Programs and open it
- One of the tabs is marked Startup Disk, click there.
- Click 'Create Disk'

You'll need your Windows 98 CD as well as a blank floppy of course. If it's more convenient for you, use the site I just linked, one quick shot and that's it!
HXCGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by HXCGamer »

I never got a Windows 98 CD with my computer. I havn't had one, which really sucks ass because I've needed it for many things. Now what do I do, lol.
_-'*'-_AcIdHaLo_-'*'-_
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

- Grab a pillow
- Fall asleep for a few hours
- When you wake up, drink a coffee
- Grab your address/telephone book.
- Call every friend you have and find out if they have the Windows 98 CD.

As a user of Windows 98 since it came out, it's almost rule of thumb that owning the OS absolutely requires you to have the CD because sooner or later (usually sooner), that OS is going to crap out.
HXCGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by HXCGamer »

I was told that the disk on the windows 98 cd had to have the same OEM number as your computer. Is this true?
_-'*'-_AcIdHaLo_-'*'-_
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

I'm going to try to decipher that...

Do you mean if the Windows 98 CD needs to have the same OEM number (I'm guess CD key) as your computer?

Well, to put it straight as I can, if you bought a computer pre-installed with Windows 98 without either a CD or a CD Key given to you, you should shoot everyone involved in the purchase of this computer.

As long as you have a Windows 98 CD along with a CD key, you should be fine after formatting.

Not to be rude or anything, but it seems like your computer skills are somewhere harboring near 'beginner'. If you don't have any friends that can fix this, and are afraid to reformat, you should maybe go to a computer technician of some sort. At least that way, you should be able to get a functioning PC and if anything does screw up, you can pin it on him! :twisted:
HXCGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by HXCGamer »

No. I'm not a beginner. LoL. I just don't know jack about the problem that I'm having. I can fix everything else, just not this, and it's really pissing me off. I've tried almost EVERYTHING. My last resort is a technician. I've fixed this computer many, many times. The reason I got it was because I fixed it for my parents, LoL. I just don't know whats up with the problem I'm having. I'm not afraid to reformat either. I've done it so many times, I don't think I can count them. LoL
_-'*'-_AcIdHaLo_-'*'-_
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

Then you should have no worries, other then acquiring the Windows 98 CD and a boot disk.

Happy hunting! :D
HXCGamer
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by HXCGamer »

Oh yes thank you, I appreciate it. LoL. I just need the windows 98 disk *cries* lol
_-'*'-_AcIdHaLo_-'*'-_
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

You *might* be able to find a used WIN98 disc at a computer store that has used items for cheap.

Good luck with that :wink: