I want to kill my PC.

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Tank-X
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I want to kill my PC.

Post by Tank-X »

Here's the deal:

Our computer was having some major problems about a week ago (stopped loading Windows). Gateway (it was a Gateway PC) determined the hard drive failed. We replaced the hard drive, got Win98 going again.

When I tried to install the drivers for our LAN card (to get our cable modem working on it again) it started to ask for the Windows98 Second Edition CD; which we don't have for some reason. We have the Gateway System Restoration CD, and an Operating System Backup CD, and neither work for the computer's request. Now the computer won't even load Windows anymore; it says some files that the SYSTEM.INI looks to have been deleted or something.

WTF am I supposed to do!?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

i could maybe suggest reinstall win98, to restore system.ini.

OR

look on ur restoration cd for a folder called WIN98. my gf has an acer system bought from a store with a recovery disc and it has a win98 folder on it aswell as the actual recory itself. now the folder dont have a setup file, but it does have everything that would be on the win98 cd anyway. so try either of these two things
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Tank-X
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Tank-X »

I installed XP on it using the XP CD that came with my laptop...it worked, except it's asking to activate Windows, and when I try to do so, it doesn't recognize the internet connection...

It installed with no problems though, so that's a good start, I suppose.
rustskull
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by rustskull »

Make sure you don't have a virus. WinXP seems to be particularly incapacitated by the latest rash of crap flung at us from jerks with nothing better to do.