pal laser in jap machine?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Post Reply
User avatar
runkthepunk
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:16 pm
Location: macclesfield england
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

pal laser in jap machine?

Post by runkthepunk » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:49 pm

hello there i just picked up a jap dreamer but it ain't playin games (says theres no game in the machine i think its the laser) so just wonderin if i could put a pal laser in the jap machine or would it blow up cheers :)

ps its and original jap machine with liquid cooling does this make a diference :?
bizzle
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by bizzle » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:51 pm

If they both run on the same voltages, it should be fine. I heard there are some laser assemblies that need 5v, instead of 3.3v, which most are.
Last edited by bizzle on Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak
Posts: 3246
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2001 3:45 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by sixteen-bit » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:02 pm

It's worked before for me..
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:44 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by qatmix » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:16 pm

the laser assemblies are all the same. it will work fine.

now does anyone know how to make a DC run without a fan? Its killing me..
User avatar
runkthepunk
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:16 pm
Location: macclesfield england
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by runkthepunk » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:37 pm

cheers boys i'm gonna change em over and see if that sorts it out! :D
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan
Posts: 2173
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:49 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by farrell2k » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:59 pm

Yepper, we got a bunch of smarties here :) They are all the same. I have never seen or heard of a 5V drive, but every one I have seen plainly has 3.3V etched into its metal plating. If what he says is true, you might just want to try and find it on the drive, just to be sure.
bizzle
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by bizzle » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:21 pm

farrell2k wrote:Yepper, we got a bunch of smarties here :) They are all the same. I have never seen or heard of a 5V drive, but every one I have seen plainly has 3.3V etched into its metal plating. If what he says is true, you might just want to try and find it on the drive, just to be sure.
I actually don't know how true it is. I just read it somewhere.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak
Posts: 3246
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2001 3:45 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by sixteen-bit » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:21 pm

Xylene wrote:
farrell2k wrote:Yepper, we got a bunch of smarties here :) They are all the same. I have never seen or heard of a 5V drive, but every one I have seen plainly has 3.3V etched into its metal plating. If what he says is true, you might just want to try and find it on the drive, just to be sure.
I actually don't know how true it is. I just read it somewhere.
Perhaps your source was misled. Not all drives state "3.3V" on them, as the one in my dad's DC doesn't, but they are still compatible.
bizzle
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by bizzle » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:26 pm

sixteen-bit wrote:
Xylene wrote:
farrell2k wrote:Yepper, we got a bunch of smarties here :) They are all the same. I have never seen or heard of a 5V drive, but every one I have seen plainly has 3.3V etched into its metal plating. If what he says is true, you might just want to try and find it on the drive, just to be sure.
I actually don't know how true it is. I just read it somewhere.
Perhaps your source was misled. Not all drives state "3.3V" on them, as the one in my dad's DC doesn't, but they are still compatible.
Yeah, I figured that. I didn't know how true it was, and all my drivers have 3.3v on them. I just read somewhere before about a 5v drive, never actually saw one.
Post Reply