Switching the power-board from 2 different regions?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
[UR4]Dutch
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Switching the power-board from 2 different regions?

Post by [UR4]Dutch »

Hi Ya'll,

Would it be possible to take my European power-board out of my PAL DC and put it back into a NTSC machine?

Reason is that I need to use a stepdown adapter but mine is really cheap (it works but it doesn't fit into every wallplug). I can buy a new stepdown adapter but I could also modify my DC a bit since I have a shitload of spar consoles (all of them work, I got them for a nice price).

Is it possible to do this or does the motherboard use a different voltage or something....

Thanks in advance.
ventress
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ventress »

I believe this would be fine as I hope to do this when i get a US or Jap DC. You may wish to link Resisitor R422 on the mobo to switch video output to pal60 while you're at it.
[UR4]Dutch
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by [UR4]Dutch »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it this weekend and report back.

What do you mean with the resistor. I'm not so technical.....
The Japanese DC is modded so I can play Imports and PAL with no problems (60 Hz).

Thanks,

Dutch
[UR4]Dutch
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by [UR4]Dutch »

I hope that this works for ventress because I've just blown one of my spare DC's. I fried the power-board within seconds and half of my room was filled with smoke (I'm not making this up.....I'm working with a big fan right now to get all the smoke out....). It seems that only the power-board fried, so if I go out and buy a new one everything should be fine.....
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

[UR4]Dutch wrote: I fried the power-board within seconds and half of my room was filled with smoke (I'm not making this up.....I'm working with a big fan right now to get all the smoke out....). It seems that only the power-board fried, so if I go out and buy a new one everything should be fine.....
You swapped the PSU and that happened? Nasty
I put a 220-240v power supply in Japanese dreamcast and it runs fine.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

I swapped my friends US NTSC DC's power board with a PAL DC's Power board, and it worked fine.

Heh, we got the PAL DC from EB, and after swapping the power boards, took it back. I'd laugh to see their faces when they turn the DC on to test it ;)
[UR4]Dutch
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by [UR4]Dutch »

Maybe it works fine the other way around. I have no clue. Maybe it has something to do with all the different models. Only thing I know is that I broke one perfectly good console..... I'll keep it for spareparts anywayzzz.