Just built a PSX directpad pro adapter..

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Just built a PSX directpad pro adapter..

Post by sixteen-bit »

It works great ^_^
Total cost for the adapter was ?2, all of which was spent on the PSX controller extension cable. I found an old DB25 parallel plug and just soldered it together a few minutes ago.

I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a decent controller on their PC but don't want to spend the ?25 for a PC USB pad. Used digital PSX pads can be obtained for less than ?5 so the total overall cost should be no more than say, ?10. Going dualshock would cost maybe ?5 more, so it's still good value ;)
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

I have one, as well as SNES and NES directpad pros :)

I love them, nothing like playing a SNES emu on yer PC with a SNES, pad.. or NES with an NES pad.. or PSX with a PSX pad =p
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

yup sig taught me how to make my snes one, and i just finished the psx one. question, did you or didnt you add the support for dual shock. i didnt, since it doesnt really matter to me

ah well back to dodonpachi with a psx pad. hee hee...
Current Music:
Himekami - Exceeding Love
Little Viking - Future
Nas - God's Son Adam Freeland - Fear
Ibana - Shell / Half Pain
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

I added it in. Little 9v battery connector hanging from the plug. Doesn't work too well, only one motor moves, the bigger one, not sure if it's a mistake I made making the adapter, the PSX pad being broke(a friend gave me his broke pad, I fixed it, but not sure how well) or the drivers :P
Hardware Mod Man
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Hardware Mod Man »

what do u mean directpad?
(A.K.A. TecnoPimprince)check out the site:http://www.geocities.com/dreamcastmods
"ONCE AGAIN TELL ME ITS POSSIBLE AND I WILL TRY."
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

Look up Directpad Pro on google.

What it is, is a set of shematics to hook up various console/old school computer controllers to your PC via serial or parallel port, and a driver for Windows 9x. There are drivers made for 2k/xp as well, but require more searching to find.. if you want me to, I can dig up the URL for the 2k/xp drivers .. i have it somewhere O_o

The actual makers of DPP pulled the page/download from thier site.. ( I still have no idea why.. ) But you can find it on many arcade/emulation sites.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

kaioshade, I didn't add support for rumble since I was too cheap to buy another 9V adapter* for it.. I also didn't even bother with the diodes on the power lines but they're not strictly required right?
Oh yeah, the ?2 "standard pad" I have connected to the PC doesn't have rumble anyway so the lack of support in my adapter doesn't really matter much to me ;)

Siggler, I think I may make a SNES one next if I can find a SNES extension cable. Failing that I'll make one for the 6-button Megadrive controller (that's one really nice pad in my opinion)

*most of my electronics stuff is packed away somewhere
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

I have two PSX pads connected to my PC using DirectPadPro interface, and I made the DualShock support using a 7809 connected directly to the 12 V line of the power supply. It works great (the two motors, big and little one). For WindowsXP I don't use DirectPadPro, I use PsxPad drivers, that works a lot better than DirectPadPro (better rumble support, and you can use all axes (digital and two analog) independently). PsxPad also supports PS2 pads without changing anything in the adapter. In my opinion, PSX DualShock pads are the best pads ever made (excepting for fighting games, like Street Fighters, KOFs, etc...). It's great to play with it in a PC.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

doragasu wrote:I made the DualShock support using a 7809 connected directly to the 12 V line of the power supply.
Regulators..! Why didn't I think of that?! :o
doragasu wrote: In my opinion, PSX DualShock pads are the best pads ever made (excepting for fighting games, like Street Fighters, KOFs, etc...). It's great to play with it in a PC.

I'm not overly fond of where the sticks are positioned on the dualshock pads but for general gaming and emulation the PSX pads are pretty damn good though. Of course, 6 buttons pads are always going to be much nicer for fighers which is why I want to do a megadrive pad mod as soon as I can.
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Forgive me from going slightly off topic here, but does anyone know where I can get an official Sega 6 button pad for the Megadrive in the UK as I have been looking everywhere without any luck :(
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I@N wrote:Forgive me from going slightly off topic here, but does anyone know where I can get an official Sega 6 button pad for the Megadrive in the UK as I have been looking everywhere without any luck :(
You've been after one of these for a loong time, huh?
Sorry but the only advice I could offer would to keep trying the local used gameshops or "cashgenerator"/whatever pawnshop chains are near where you live. You should eventually get lucky like I did and find a 6-button pad for a few pounds.

Oh, and I haven't seen any other 6-button pads since I bought mine, either!
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

I've just been outbid on one on Ebay (Damn them).

Looks as though I will have to make my Saturn / Megadrive controller hybrid after all then.
revengeofLaEternal
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by revengeofLaEternal »

Saturn / Megadrive controller hybrid?

Please elaborate.
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

revengeofLaEternal wrote:Saturn / Megadrive controller hybrid?

Please elaborate.
Taking a Mark 2 Saturn controller (which has 6 buttons), taking the PCB from a really un-ergonomic 6 button megadrive pad I have and (with some brute force) combining the 2.

I will then be left with a very comfortable Saturn-style controller, which only works on the megadrive.

I have all the parts, just lack the time to actaully do it :( :roll:
goldberg28115
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by goldberg28115 »

If anybody needs directions on how to make these adapters, check out my website. I have the software and schematics for NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Playstation, and Playstation Dual Shock. I will soon be adding the schematic for atari controllers too if anybody is interested. I bought an old atari controller from the GoodWill and it worked fine after I cleaned up the contacts in the controller a little.
http://www.angelfire.com/games4/jamieweb/
tom61a
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tom61a »

The actual makers of DPP pulled the page/download from thier site.. ( I still have no idea why.. )
It was taking up too much bandwidth on his site.
goldberg28115
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by goldberg28115 »

Tell me about it. I just posted my website on this forum and when I check it a few hours later, I can't access my site because my bandwidth is used up. That is the first time that has happened to me before.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I have a SNES pad adapter, but since I changed to XP, I can't get the thing to work. The drivers I tried (NTPadXP) just refused to read anything. The adapter itself works fine with DPP and DOS software, but nothing under XP... I only had the thing working for two weeks too.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Just built a PSX directpad pro adapter..

Post by az_bont »

http://www.play.com sell a PSX-2-USB adaptor for ?6 - But it's only for Brits.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
ndr008
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ndr008 »

BlackAura wrote:The drivers I tried (NTPadXP) just refused to read anything.
Yeah there are is NTad which is not as good as DirectPad, but I tried an old version of NTPadXP which worked better. But XP sucks on many such things, so don't expect much from it. :cry: I my self am disappointed at finding so many games and stuff that don't work on XP, but it is understood, coz XP is realy Windows NT 5.1