DC 2 NES controller mod

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC 2 NES controller mod

Post by arrowhead »

Hello. I was wondering if any of you have modded a Sega brand controller to NES controller. The reason I ask is because today I went out and bought a madcatz controller and the board was completely different from the one used in dumbass's how-to. And since I am a complete nuttsack when it comes to figuring electronics out I didnt want to give it a shot and ruin the controller. I figure that the sega brand board probably doesnt change and i could follow that how-to and modify an original. Or do I just have to look for a green colored madcatz controller? The one I bought is red, so maybe it is revision of some sort? Anyway, thanks a lot.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

i did mine with an official controller, i took it a part though, cause i'm doing other things with the controller right now. its very simple to do, follow the guide you already have, except on the dc part scrape a little off the green leeds(whatever there called) that connect up to the button. solder the wire there. basically your remapping the buttons. just ask if you need it clearer
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

Hey, Corta, I have a DC and an NES controller sitting on my floor right now, both dissassembled. Think you could go into a little depth, post a picture on what you were saying to do on the official Sega controller? I believe I know, but I want to be sure before I get to work. Thanks
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

i believe i took some blurry pictures of the controller, lemme find if i still have them. for the nes part, just follow the tutorial marvin wrote, it is the exact same thing.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

okay, see all those wires and where they connect to the board? right where they are soldered i scraped up the covering of the wire on the board. you have to do this for every button you want to use. also not you won't use some of the wires, that would be used for the snes controller mod(which i'm halfway through, but probally will redo)
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

Thanks a lot, Corta :D I assume, then, that the DC controller is unusable after this due to the fact that the buttons would not press down completely?
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

it still works for me, but x doesn't work half of the time. depending how close you solder, and how much you solder near the button depends how well it will work after the mod is done
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

That's kind of what I was thinking would happen, because the solder would interfere with the original DC controller buttons making contact with the board. I think I'm going to go buy another DC controller before I give this a shot, just in case.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

NeonGenesis wrote:That's kind of what I was thinking would happen, because the solder would interfere with the original DC controller buttons making contact with the board. I think I'm going to go buy another DC controller before I give this a shot, just in case.
Try picking up a Madcatz Dreampad if you can find it. They're perfect for modification. There are solder points well away from the buttons, and the digital LR/CZ buttons make SNES shoulder buttons and the like very simple.

Also, there's the Quantum Fighterpad, but most people like the Madcatz better.

Here's Marvin's tutorial for the Madcatz, c/o TDA, and whoever did the Quantum, I can't remember, unfortunately...

MadCatz
Not all versions of the pad are like this, but the others are not too much harder to do. Look for the ones with the D-Pad straight up and down, not at a slight angle.

Quantum Fighterpad
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

To mod the older version of the Madcatz Dreampad, just folow the traces back to the brass holes, and solder there instead of the join between PCBs on the newer versions. It's probably better to solder on the other side of the board, where the brass goes through, so as not to interfere with the buttons or pads. Just make sure you don't hold the soldering iron on the point for too long, here more than anywhere, becasue it's so close to the chips.

I made a quick diagram with my incredible photoshop paint bucket skills, here and here(mirror)

You can probably find a good point for the ground just about anywhere.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Cyphix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Cyphix »

Has anyone done this with an astropad?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

You might find this link useful: http://nes2dc.nklb.net/
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Pretty cool getting my tutorial linked... :D

I should probably update some of it, with my "final" revision stuff. I did it so there's no external duct tape, both VMU slots are still as normal, the WHOLE quantum fighter pad still works, and the NES wire is a black very thin one (bought a $3 PC gamepad just for the wire) and the wire to the NES is stopped with a ziptie (no visible wires except the black and the cable going to the Dreamcast). It's much better done then the ugly, though functional, pad pictured at the bottom of the tutorial. I sold that one for $35 on eBay, by the way.. Used the money to make a new one :)

I should probably put up a picture of my first one - the case is completely covered in duct tape and stuff, it can't function as a 1 player controller so it is soley my second player controller. But hey, other then that it works fine.