Custom bios

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
pony
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Custom bios

Post by pony »

Hi,

I am currently diving into Dreamcast development on my spare time. I was wondering if custom bios were providing development facilities.
If so, I would like to flash a custom bios. However, I am a little bit lost among all the available versions (Dreamshell, RetroDream, ...).

Also, is there a way to not flash the bios by using a boot disc. I would like to do it with a flash memory burner but I cannot find the .bin files.

Thank you for your answers and keep dreaming
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Custom bios

Post by |darc| »

For development, you probably want the RetroDream BIOS as it'll allow you to boot straight into dcload.
The BIN files for RetroDream are available here -- https://github.com/Cpasjuste/retrodream ... ir/RD/bios
It's thinking...
pony
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by pony »

Thank you for your answer. Do you know the difference between the 2 BIOS ?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

pony wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:38 am Thank you for your answer. Do you know the difference between the 2 BIOS ?
dreamboot-1.1.0.bios is for a standard Dreamcast. Probably the one you want.
dreamboot-nogdrom-1.1.0.bios is for consoles that do not have a GD-ROM drive (or ODE) attached to the G1 bus. You'll probably know if this applies to you.
It's thinking...