Japanese Dreamcast Question

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
stellaloveslunafreya
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Japanese Dreamcast Question

Post by stellaloveslunafreya »

Hi, all, I don't know if this is the proper forum to post this in, but I have a question. I recently bought a Japanese Dreamcast and I'm apparently going to need a transformer to use it outside of Japan. Is there anyone here with knowledge on that particular subject? Basically what I want to know is what kind of transformer I need and if anyone knows of it being sold somewhere at a reasonable price (I've seen a few on eBay for over $60!).

I believe the Japanese Dreamcast is 100V, so I would need something compatible with 120V.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Japanese Dreamcast Question

Post by |darc| »

You're in the U.S.?

If so, you don't need anything. The Japanese Dreamcast power supply can accept 100V-120V. You can just plug it straight into the wall without a problem.
It's thinking...
stellaloveslunafreya

Yes.

I would feel more comfortable with some kind of transformer in use, so I don't burn my house down or anything, lol.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

stellaloveslunafreya wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:12 am Yes.

I would feel more comfortable with some kind of transformer in use, so I don't burn my house down or anything, lol.
You won't burn your house down, lol. It will happily accept the U.S. 120V. Japan is the only country that uses 100V as far as I know, so power supplies for Japanese electronics are often designed to accept a range from 100-120V so they don't need to design a separate power supply specifically for Japan.

Personally, I own many DC consoles, and one of the consoles I frequently use is a Japanese model console, my house hasn't burned down yet. ;)

However, if you really want a stepdown transformer for Japanese electronics, this one should do the trick. It's rated for 100W which should be enough for game consoles.
It's thinking...
stellaloveslunafreya

Okay, thanks, I appreciate the info.

I have another question, this time concerning Japanese GameCubes. Are they the same as the Japanese Dreamcast? I'm looking to get a Japanese Cube to play PSO Ep.1&2.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

The GameCube uses a power adapter built into the cord. I don't know what the power adapter that comes with Japanese GameCubes is rated for, but you can just get an American GameCube power adapter and use it on a Japanese cube.
It's thinking...
stellaloveslunafreya

Hi, the Japanese Dreamcast I got is experiencing some serious issues. From time to time it will either refuse to read my PSO Ver.2 disc or take a really long time to load it, sometimes doing things like stopping the music being played altogether in the game and loading the disc then returning to the DC’s menu screen. I’m guessing the DC’s laser-thing is the problem?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Unless the game itself is dirty, it is probably the disc drive laser, yes. You can try to use a bit of Isopropyl Alcohol on a cotton swab to to clean the laser off and see if that helps at all (you can do the same to the side of the disc that the laser reads too, of course). Just dab a cotton swab or cotton ball in the alcohol and lightly clean the laser inside the console (don't press down hard on it or anything).
stellaloveslunafreya

Thanks for the info, but that didn't really help it. The drive at times sounds like it might be dying or something. I got another Japanese DC and the game is (so far) actually running as it probably should be, without the issues I've experienced on the first system.

I have another question. Since the new DC I got is really yellow in its front, would it be possible to swap out the GD-ROM drive from it into my other DC (both of which are Japanese)? I opened both systems up (following guides from places like YouTube), and noticed that the first DC (which had the problems) uses a Yamaha GD drive, while the new one has a Samsung in it. I also checked the boards in the system and the first DC had 1998 (as in year, if that matters) in certain places while the new one had 1999. I ask if it's possible because I prefer the cleaner exterior of the one with the faulty drive.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

It depends... Different hardware revisions used different voltage levels for the disc drive, and swapping a drive between a lower voltage board and a higher one could fry the drive. I believe that the drives should have a voltage stamped on them. If the voltages match, then you should be able to swap them... If they don't, then you'll risk frying the working drive if you swap it out.

I think I only have one Yamaha drive that I know of in my collection (in the only VA0 board in my collection) -- which is definitely the higher voltage variant...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Interesting stuff.

I've actually managed to run 220v - 240v devices in America. Without any immediate problems. I have been informed that it would significantly reduce the electronic life when I do that though.