Abandoned hardware projects of mine, here are the models!

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Arvex
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Abandoned hardware projects of mine, here are the models!

Post by Arvex »

I was working on a pair of 3D models for 3D printing parts for assisting with development for the Dreamcast.

At this time, I lack either the means or motivation to continue with either of these projects, but would like to make the files available in case anyone else sees an interest in continuing this work.

First model is a 5.25" CD/DVD drive bay cover plate with four Dreamcast controller ports on it. Before discovering that the Mayflash Dreamcast controller USB adapter did not support the VMU, I was working on an enclosure that I could fit the internals of two of those adapters (each has two ports) and a 2-port USB expansion module that plugged directly into a spare USB header on the PC's motherboard. The entire enclosure would fit into the space of a CD/DVD drive and give your PC four Dreamcast controller ports for emulators. I only got as far as designing the faceplate for the enclosure before finding out the Mayflash adapter doesn't support the VMU which killed my interest in the project until I can devote the time to developing a custom hardware solution. WARNING: I have not attempted to print this. It might not be to accurate scale, so you should measure it before attempting to print it. The Blender file is also in two pieces so it could be styled like a Dreamcast's shell with white and grey plastic. This one needs more work.

Second model is my attempt at recreating a serial port connector for the Dreamcast. A difficult challenge as I have yet to see any high resolution pictures of such a connector. What I made was my best guess by modeling it after the video connector from my DC-VGA box, removing a few pins and scaling it to fit the serial port on the back. I have printed this with limited success as my 3D printer currently only has a 0.4mm nozzle and the walls of the adapter are supposed to be 0.2mm. Sadly, I can't even spare the few dollars for a 0.2mm nozzle at the moment due to life issues combined with the current situation. The parts of it that did print do fit in the serial port. You might need to make adjustments as well as create a pathway for cabling to go through.

Files below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11zRkU ... aitbJtJw8q

Enjoy!

EDIT: I might move the files to somewhere else in the future. If the link changes, the files themselves will probably be the same, though I might continue working on the Serial connector once I get finer nozzles for my 3D printer.
These users thanked the author Arvex for the post (total 2):
Juan|darc|