Does a dual analog Dreamcast controller exist?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Does a dual analog Dreamcast controller exist?

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Can input mapping be done through VMU?

The idea of having configuration profiles directly programmable from the VMU to toggle between games that use d-pad/trigger c-controls would be convenient if a controller existed.

With a Dual Shock, toggling between the Right Analog Stick (d-pad) and L3/R3 (triggers) might work.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Eviltaco64X wrote:Can input mapping be done through VMU?

The idea of having configuration profiles directly programmable from the VMU to toggle between games that use d-pad/trigger c-controls would be convenient if a controller existed.

With a Dual Shock, toggling between the Right Analog Stick (d-pad) and L3/R3 (triggers) might work.
Are you talking about basically mapping the d-pad and/or trigger camera controls to the right analog stick in the case of the dual shock?

Yes, you could totally implement something like that within the VMU as long as the controller adapter has the logic to look for that config file in the VMU when it's plugged in and is mapping input.

If you wanted games to ACTUALLY support a full second analog and not just map some other buttons to it, it would definitely require homebrew being written with this in mind or hacking the image to implement support.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

GyroVorbis wrote:Are you talking about basically mapping the d-pad and/or trigger camera controls to the right analog stick in the case of the dual shock?

Yes, you could totally implement something like that within the VMU as long as the controller adapter has the logic to look for that config file in the VMU when it's plugged in and is mapping input.
Yes. It could stand to be a reasonable means to an end for the awkward controls that some otherwise great games suffer from.
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

Chilly Willy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 am

Code: Select all

#define CONT_D          (1<<11)
So a DC controller COULD have ... a second "menu" button (D to go along with START)
Hold up, why have I never heard about this D button input? So I wonder, when Retro-Bit does produce their modern wireless DC controllers which have 6 face buttons and 2 analog at least, maybe L and R bumpers too, could the D input be used for say, a quick reset key or something? Instead of having to press the soft reset combo, maybe that could act as some Home button?

A lot of speculation on my part has been thinking that Retro-Bit is obviously leaning towards making a modern DC pad with dual analog and other updates as per their Mega Drive and Dreamcast controllers which are planned for sometime this year or next.

https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/stat ... 6017309702

Here is the wired mock up of their upcoming Dreamcast controller, almost everything we ever wanted in a DC pad. Odds are after this is given the go ahead by Sega to produce it since they are licensed, then the wireless one will obviously be made similarly to the ones above. People over at Assembler and now Obscure Gamers were discussing hacking the game executable to take advantage of these extra inputs. So we could see stuff like proper modern FPS controls in games among other genres.
Moopthehedgehog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Moopthehedgehog »

Apparently this is not super common knowledge, but actually yes, there is one. It's not what you think:

It's the fishing rod controller.

X & Y acceleration are mapped to analog joystick 2, so Soul Calibur, the first Virtua Tennis, and Sega Bass Fishing technically support dual-analog already.

According to the last post here: https://assemblergames.com/threads/more ... uts.69873/
MetalliC, who is a Demul developer, wrote: @TerdFerguson @truemaster1
Demul supports this during many years already, you may configure 2nd analog in DC controller settings "Extended buttons" section.

so called "joyx2", "joyy2" was used in:
- racing controller, for external accelerate and brake pedals, as a lever values.
- fishing controller, acceleration sensors X/Y
- maracas controller, 2nd maracas X/Y
and I think that's all.. I doubt there exists single DC game which supports it as 2nd analog stick.

also, why don't look in official Sega Dreamcast docs ? there is pretty much full documentation for Maple protocol, and devices implementations.
Marcus's docs is ancient and much incomplete, not sure why still use it these days.
It took me a second to realize that by external racing controller levers, I think that's referring to the unused extension port on the official steering wheel. That could explain my findings in this thread about the steering wheel's expansion port.

I was wondering about this question last week, so there's the real answer. On that note, I'm surprised nobody's ever made a swinging sword controller for Soul Calibur. I guess between the Maracas and Fishing Rod no one really felt the need? :P
I'm sure Aleron Ives feels weird with his postcount back to <10668
:D
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

Levers sure sounds to me like pedals.