SD Reader that leaves the Disc Reader intact

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Gary
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SD Reader that leaves the Disc Reader intact

Post by Gary »

I would like to play games from the SD reader but also from the standard optical reader as well. That is, I want to leave standard disk in place and just add an SD reader that is fast enough to play games.

Does such a beast exist?

Gary
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: SD Reader that leaves the Disc Reader intact

Post by Anthony817 »

A plug and play solution? Not really if you want 100% compatibility. The serial port SD card readers are greatly limited by the read speeds from that port which was never intended to handle loading data heavy games from. You could get the IDE mod performed to the console and enjoy 100% compatibility and keep the disc drive intact. But you are looking at over 40 solder points on either the motherboard, or the disc drive daughterboard itself. Not for the faint of heart. So now you see why most people prefer the $40 GDEMU clones. Straight plug and play no soldiering involved. You also enjoy basically 99.9% compatibility. Only a few games have issues and they are getting work around all the time to make it fully work. I think Skies of Arcadia had some freeze in 1 cut scene and then there was an NBA game that had issues though not sure if has been fixed as of yet?