List SPECIFIC Additions/Changes for NEXT Dsnes here!

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

List SPECIFIC Additions/Changes for NEXT Dsnes here!

Post by DcSteve » Sun Apr 21, 2002 1:30 am

As it seems, the great programmers of dreamsnes have monitored these forums on and off and read people's requests and looked at peoples problems. In this recent release, they have re-added the transparencies option due to POPULAR demand, and have fixed bugs in timing of some games PEOPLE complained about. Please post any specific things you notice and wish to be fixed or changed for the next version, the rest is up to the programmers. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! WORLD BESTS- MARCUS C, PETER B, AND PER H! You demonstrate what many yearn, the ability to search, seek, and conquer! People like you define dreamcast development!
SilverSuperSonic
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by SilverSuperSonic » Sun Apr 21, 2002 1:42 am

Well, if you want some comments, The main thing that I would really like for any next release is SPEED. Especially in Yoshi's Island, which runs very slow... Thank you guys for making such an incredible Snes emulator...
I just remembered... Can't they put some Images (nrg, please) in their homepage?
I'm new around here...
mc
DreamSNES Creator
DreamSNES Creator

Post by mc » Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:16 am

SilverSuperSonic wrote:Well, if you want some comments, The main thing that I would really like for any next release is SPEED. Especially in Yoshi's Island, which runs very slow... Thank you guys for making such an incredible Snes emulator...
I just remembered... Can't they put some Images (nrg, please) in their homepage?
We are not especially interrested in comments that are merely stating the obvious.

As for images, the installer script should now be just as easy to use as Nero, and it works
on more platforms too.
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
quacka
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by quacka » Sun Apr 21, 2002 7:44 am

I am just thinking. Maybe if the mp3 support is removed in dreamsnes, the emulator would run faster? I don't know about everyone else. I prefer faster emulator then the ingame music or nice GUI. The only annoying thing right now is the 3 minute wait til all my roms gets loaded even with roms.lst. But its a great emulator love it.
mc
DreamSNES Creator
DreamSNES Creator

Post by mc » Sun Apr 21, 2002 7:54 am

quacka wrote:I am just thinking. Maybe if the mp3 support is removed in dreamsnes, the emulator would run faster? I don't know about everyone else. I prefer faster emulator then the ingame music or nice GUI.
Let's think about that for a second. Does DreamSNES play MPEG music in the menu or while emulating a game? I'll give you two chances to get it right...

quacka wrote:The only annoying thing right now is the 3 minute wait til all my roms gets loaded even with roms.lst. But its a great emulator love it.
In 0.9.7 the roms listing takes under 1 second if you have a proper roms.lst (use the installer script
to make sure).
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound » Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:12 am

Ok, i'll try it out... anyone know if the dcfactory scripts work for it?
sqrt(-1)+1
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sqrt(-1)+1 » Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:34 am

No, but this one does: http://www.lysator.liu.se/dreamsnes/dsinstaller.zip

I tested it myself on Windows XP earlier today.
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ » Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:40 am

It should work fine, just the 'disable menu music' option won't work.
404NotFound wrote:Ok, i'll try it out... anyone know if the dcfactory scripts work for it?
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound » Sun Apr 21, 2002 11:29 am

Ok, updates i noticed:

1. The music is no longer choppy, and appears to load into ram because when i put my old DSNES cd in for the roms the music kept playing.
2. The roms load a lot faster. The first 5 take about a second to load and then BAM they are all loaded
3. Transparantsy re-added to the options. It DOES make games faster, but the game i tried it on (SMW) made it unplayable because it didn't display any sprites other than mario.
4. The rom switching key strokes (it's a secret)
splattered
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

fff

Post by splattered » Sun Apr 21, 2002 11:43 am

Wow so they fixed the rom loading thing huh? That was my main gripe with 0.96 heh i understand if they cant get the games speed up to par but cmon theres no reason for the roms to take 3 mins to load. Anyway.. question, do the roms take like 5 seconds to load using the under 31 characters limit, or do they need to be 8.3 to load that quickly? Also, krypt ya say that dcfactory right now should work with it, has anyone verified it to work? just curious...
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve » Sun Apr 21, 2002 11:59 am

When i meant "specific" i mean specific things that should be changed or added, dont say " i want improved speed and sound" because thats what many want, and may not get for some time. Come up with your own unique ideas and requests!
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi » Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:29 pm

1. A good/bad/corrupt checksum indicator when you load a ROM,accessible with a keyboard option.This is essential for bug testers.
2. A PAL/NTSC indicator (not a FPS indicator) to see whether your ROM is PAL or NTSC.Also essential for bug testing.
3. MIDI music playing in the menu,instead of a MP3.That will speed up the ROM loading.
4. Better FX support using the DC's 3D chip for 100% speed and anti-aliasing for those 3D polygonal FX games.
5. Support for playing super Scope games with a controller.Rarely anyone buys a lightgun for their DC.

That's only half of my requests...
And I'm going to have a new BUG LIST as soon as I burn 0.9.7
Wow! I just love this kind of quality support...
Thank you DreamSNES team...just waiting for KRYPT to update his script and burn 0.9.7. Yeehaw!
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob » Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:42 pm

Well, I guess I would probably like to see a Frames Per Second Counter perhaps along with the percentage marker(something like 30/60 in the lower left hand corner). This would help in benchmarking games and would give a more accurate reading in terms of the games smothness.

Also were some games disabled in the past 2 releases?
Mario RPG, Kirby 3, Kirby Superstar, and Yoshi's Island no longer work.

Also it would be nice if you were able to use a mouse for Super Scope 6 games.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Keep up the good work! :D
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:57 pm

nakamichi wrote: 5. Support for playing super Scope games with a controller.Rarely anyone buys a lightgun for their DC.
Do PAL Lightguns work in this release? On a kind of related note, perhaps there could be support for the DC Mouse with an onscreen target for light gun games?

I would also really like some kind of keyboard mapping for the DC Keyboard so if you don't have 4 controllers but have a keyboard you can use that as an extra controller...

You wait ages for a DreamSNES release, and then three come along at once... :wink:
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse » Sun Apr 21, 2002 1:19 pm

How about the ability to load an SRAM off the disk (assuming that it is properly named to work with the ROM's name under DreamSNES), and then save to the VMU/VMS? Really only good for converting your PC SNES .SRM saves over to DreamSNES, but seemed a good idea to me, if an easy way of doing it could be implemented.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Roam
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

MM..

Post by Roam » Sun Apr 21, 2002 1:24 pm

Suggestions other than the obvious? Well, I guess I could think up a few..

1) Let us set the sound bitrate for each game.

2) Ability to have a FPS counter on the bottom left enabled (so that when we are "tweaking" our games, we can more easily gauge how well we are doing).

3) Let us have the ability to set the frameskip if we dont want it at automatic.

Mm... I guess that's about it for now, other than the obvious of course ;)
mrozone
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by mrozone » Sun Apr 21, 2002 1:35 pm

How about something like in NesterDC, if you have a rom called game.nes, its loaded automatically, by-passing the menus. giving a kind of 'real' nintendo feel. this would be a good addition, and i would think easy to implement.
(if this is already in DreamSNES, i'm sorry but i didn't know, and am glad i do now)
mr.ozone
-----------
mmm......doughnut.
perh
DreamSNES Creator
DreamSNES Creator

Post by perh » Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:19 pm

3. MIDI music playing in the menu,instead of a MP3.That will speed up the ROM loading.
Oh no, it won't.

First, no mp3 is ever read from the disc while you are looking for ROMs, and secondly, it takes like 1 second to read the rom list. But even if you do not have a correct roms.lst it will only stop playing music eventually when it runs out of buffer.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc » Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:57 pm

I havent tried 0.9.7 yet, but I would like to see:

PAL Lightgun Support or use a Mouse to play gun games (An option would be needed for that as Mario paint uses the DC mouse, damn that fly-squatting game is funny :p)
A frameskip option would be nice aswell.

What else?

Erm...apart from the (Barley sorta) speed probs, I'm pretty happy with DreamSNES.

I REALLY gotta get some CD-R's to try 0.9.7 out :p
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi » Sun Apr 21, 2002 4:53 pm

perh >>>
Is the new SNES9X "Anti-Resonance" SPU core implemented in DSNES 0.9.7? If it's not,I would like to see that done in 0.9.8.
I can't stand the whining sounds in Final Fantasy III(instead of wind blowing) and the choppy sound missing sound channels in Final Fantasy II.

If you think MIDI wouldn't improve ROM loading,it's OK.It was just an idea.Since it doesn't read the MP3 while scanning the ROMs it's just as good.