Works fantastic :)

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
NiGHTSaturn
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Works fantastic :)

Post by NiGHTSaturn »

Hey! I was sooo surprised when my Dreamcast showed the thing i've just burned form my pc! DreamSNES IS AWESOME! I just have some comments so it can maybe help you guys (to the developers) Maybe the next version could be able to produce 44KHz Sound... the exact sound for every game ;) and also the speed should be increased. These are just comments and i'm sure you were working on them even before I wrote those lines... ;)

Thanks and the program is awesome ;)

Felix
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

they sure are working on it hard and coming here to check all the time.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Savestates would be awesome as well :) :D :mrgreen: :kiss)
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Re: Works fantastic :)

Post by mrandyk »

NiGHTSaturn wrote:Hey! I was sooo surprised when my Dreamcast showed the thing i've just burned form my pc! DreamSNES IS AWESOME! I just have some comments so it can maybe help you guys (to the developers) Maybe the next version could be able to produce 44KHz Sound... the exact sound for every game ;) and also the speed should be increased. These are just comments and i'm sure you were working on them even before I wrote those lines... ;)

Thanks and the program is awesome ;)

Felix
glad to hear it works for you, but the project was abondoned years ago and will probably never have another release.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

SNES4ALL is currently beeing worked on...
Insane homebrew collector.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Christuserloeser wrote:SNES4ALL is currently beeing worked on...
Not quite. But it might be picked up again soon.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

SNES on the DC is a lost cause, might as well stop beating the dead horse. Just ain't worth the effort.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Let's see: Amiga 500 is emulated in full speed, Atari ST is emulated in full speed, NeoGeo is emulated in full speed, even PlayStation 1 is emulated in full speed counting the Bleem!cast versions, so why do you think that SNES would be a lost cause ? and on top of that needed to bump a topic that's not seen a single reply since 4 months ?

Besides, DreamSNES runs quite a few games at a very playable speed if you obey a few simple things.
Insane homebrew collector.
katraqueyous
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by katraqueyous »

Yeah, I love what the guys done to DreamSnes.

Has anyone heard anything from the development team recently? Have they officially announced the project as abandoned?
The people of the land were overjoyed at the gift God gave them, and they rejoiced and praised God, and chanted "DreamSNES rules, DreamSNES rules!"
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

katraqueyous wrote:Yeah, I love what the guys done to DreamSnes.

Has anyone heard anything from the development team recently? Have they officially announced the project as abandoned?
The official word is that the emulator has hit a roadblock; the code would have to be entirely rewritten in order to obtain greater speed. Unwilling to write a new SNES emulator for Dreamcast, the DreamSNES team has discontinued development of DreamSNES.
It's thinking...
katraqueyous
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by katraqueyous »

^ Okay that makes perfect sense. Thanks.
The people of the land were overjoyed at the gift God gave them, and they rejoiced and praised God, and chanted "DreamSNES rules, DreamSNES rules!"
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

However the easiest way to get fullspeed out of this emulator is just to over clock your dreamcast to around 240mhz to 260mhz if you can.
meemeesiko
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by meemeesiko »

RMD wrote:However the easiest way to get fullspeed out of this emulator is just to over clock your dreamcast to around 240mhz to 260mhz if you can.
Yeah, that would be beautiful if I could do that. How risky is that to the actual system? I don't want to burn out my DC. It's getting harder to find them everyday. But is that actually possible? I'll look it up and see what comes up...
meemeesiko
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by meemeesiko »

It's pretty simple to overclock the Dreamcast.

You might want to overclock your dreamcast to get better framerate on Emuators (snes emulation is not at 100% even overclocked)or to increase framerate on Divx movies or any homebrew software that need more power to run properly.

But the real reason why people overclock their dreamcast is simply because they can.

I am not, and everobody else is not responsible if you break your DC or if you hurt yourself doing this : DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

So, to overclock the dreamcast you'll need:

* A soldering iron and solder
* Wires
* A 4-pin oscillator
* Tape
* A steady hand
* X-acto knive
* Of course, a Dreamcast ( version 2 seems not to work properly)

You might also want to create a switch to put back the DC to his normal frequency so for this modification you'll need:

* An on/off/toggle switch
* More wires

You'll need to first determinate wich frequency you want your dreamcast to be overclocked at. 240 Mhz works fine, more powerful overclock might need a new fan system or complicated overvoltage of the SH4 CPU.

So, let's say that you want to overclock it to 240Mhz, 200 Mhz being the normal Dreamcast frequency

The dreamcast get his frenquency set by a chip, the signal of this chip is multiplied by 6 in the SH4 CPU, so if you input a 40Mhz signal to the CPU, the dreamcast will run at 240Mhz.

The chip that send the 33.33Mhz(33.33 x 6 = 200Mhz) signal to the dreamcast is located under the power supply on the motherboard between the RAM chips and the Power-supply pins it's a rectangular chip with 8 pin on each side. It's labeled IC305 on my own V1 motherboard but it "may" vary (see picture to find where it is).

What you need to do to overclock the Dreamcast is to cut the third pin ( third starting from the top left of the chip looking at it in a way that the chip is the nearest to the edge of the motherboard) of this chip an to input a clock using a Xtal oscillator to the motherboard where the pin is usualy attached.

You might also NOT remove the pin but lift it and solder a wire to the lifted pin to make a OC'ed/not OC'ed Dreamcast with a switch.

So here's the steps to do this.

* 1- Open up your dreamcast removing every screw you see (look under the Modem there's a hidden screw)
* 2- Take off the motherboard of the DC case
* 3- Cut the pin with an X-acto and lift it, BE CAREFUL this pin is EASY TO BREAK
* 4- Solder a wire to the motherboard where the pin is usually soldered and solder the other end of it to one of the "ouput" pin of the switch
* 5- Solder a wire to the lifted pin and solder the other end of it to one of the "input" pin of the switch
* 6- Solder a wire to the 5v pin of the Power-Supply pin that is on the motherboard (2nd pin from the left) and solder it to the 5v input of the Xtal ( usualy top left pin, you might look at your Xtal references to see where the input pin is located)
* 7- Solder a wire to one the Ground pin of the Power-Supply pin that are on the motherboard(3rd pin from the left works 4th and 5th *might* works but it's not tested) and solder it to the ground pin of the Xtal ( usualy botom right pin but , you might look to your Xtal references to see where it's located)
* 8- Solder a wire to the 40mhz(or whatever mhz you choosed)ouput of the Xtal ( usualy top right pin but , look to you Xtal refenrences to see wich pin is this one) to the other "input" pin of the switch

You might now have an overclocked dreamcast!! Simple no ? :)

Use your creativity to put the switch in a way it'll be acessible from the outside of the DC case.

Now put everything back to his place, cross your finger, press power and ENJOY!
I found that at http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... erclocking.

It looks like a pain in the neck. And I don't want to mess with the wiring or the motherboard in my DC. Hmmm... He says that even with the system overclocked to 240Mhz, the SNES emulators won't run at 100 percent. So is it really worth it? I mean, I could just play my games without sounds and transparency to get the same effect. II really don't think that it's worth the time or effort to overclock your DC just to play the games with sound, or run the games a little bit faster.