Dreamsnes0.9.6 rom loading problems?

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamsnes0.9.6 rom loading problems?

Post by -Azathoth- »

I downloaded the latest version of dsnes, and after loading it up and swapping the disks, the roms start to load, then completely stops after about 5 roms max. When I try to reload the roms, it either loads less, or more roms, but never more than 6 roms at a time. Whats up with this? Anyone else experience this? Or perhaps I burnt a bad disk? Let me know whats up, thanks.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

This has been reported by others - one theory is that it happens when you ditch the MP3 file...
Tank-X
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Tank-X »

The same thing happened to me last night....I used DC Factory to burn the cd, and clicked on the boxes to ditch the hearts and music.......i guess i'll try it w/the music and/or hearts
seanmartina
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Loading of roms

Post by seanmartina »

My cds also only load to a max of 7 roms sometimes only one, i have 2 cds burnt full to cappacity with roms and all i get to play is the first few roms, is this a bug or has many people experienced the same :o
iam
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by iam »

everyone(who left out the mp3 file) is having this problem. to see all ur roms uve gotta put them all on one selfboot disc w/dreamsnes and leave the music in, otherwise it only loads a couple roms. dcfactory is the best way to do this imo.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

my music sounds like crap when loading, i get all my roms, but i also get a loud ticking sound, oh well.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
slrams2001
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by slrams2001 »

How do you make dreams snes with roms on it i made dreamsnes 9.6 and it will only load like 6 game and i didnt mess with it at all thanks :o
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

i used dc factory. its really easy and leave the music on too when making the cd.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
At_The_Gates
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by At_The_Gates »

I get the same problem.

1. I burnt 2 CDs of roms using the Nero Image from this site. I know they are fine because they work with every other version of DreamSNES.
2. I downloaded the full Nero DreamSNES 0.9.6 zip (unzipped file is about 14Mb) and burnt it. I have done NOTHING to the menu music and have removed NOTHING. There is some music playing in the the menu background i think (it clicks a lot).

Oh well. The games it did see didnt work very well anyway. (Alfred Chicken :) , Actraiser 2 and 7th Samurai)
FuryVII
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by FuryVII »

Hey PavelBure... that ticking sound is the music file. I listened to it on my PC. In fact the title has the word click in it.

At any rate I have 50 games that load no problem. I am not using the .lst file. I diabled the hearts, but I did leave the music on. I threw in my own mp3's though. I only have 50 games because I enjoy them and dont feel like loading more than that.

I dont see why everyone is having issues with this.

I used DC Factory on my first burn at my friends and I used the old classic self boot method because I have a burner that seems to suck with Nero and DJ but works fine with CDRecord.Roms load fine, I have long, long filenames with spaces. Speed is better too then previous versions. DKC is extremely playable, and that quite amazing.

I dont see what the problem could be. Actually if you read the notes on the release it said if you have a separate rom cd you should put a sound folder there too so you could have sound... so maybe it is looking to play an mp3 yet there is nothing there so it hangs while looking for it. That is probably my best guess. Try putting a blank 10 sec mp3 or something.

Later.
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

If its hanging because no mp3's are on the folder, then the programmers of DreamSNES really need to learn how to handle error conditions. If no mp3 exists, STOP TRYING TO FUCKING PLAY IT. It's not hard.

-miah
-miah
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

The problem I see with leaving the MP3 in the folder is the increase in time listing the roms and completely mad seeking from the GDrom drive, I guess a roms.lst would solve both of these?
snake78
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by snake78 »

16-bit Miles wrote: The problem I see with leaving the MP3 in the folder is the increase in time listing the roms and completely mad seeking from the GDrom drive, I guess a roms.lst would solve both of these?
he, you'd think so. But no. The roms.lst does seem to increase the speed of the listing of the roms, but the mp3 still skips like mad, which in turn slows down the rom listing. I like the idea with the mp3 (and being able to switch to whatever song you want), but if it screws with the gui it kinda has to go.
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

Yep, thats why I've suggested using a s3m, mod, or xm for a while now. Everybody ignores it though and loads a mp3.. you could put that whole s3m in ram and only occupy like 300k and have a good song, and not have your cdrom going crazy.

The ROMS.LST definately speeds up the directory listing though because dreamsnes reads the header of each rom as it reads the directory (why I dont know, no useful information is displayed in the rom listing aside from the rom name).

But 0.9.6 is definately groovy. a lot faster now that the CPU Opt stuff is in. A few more bug fixes and this will be one nice piece of software.
-miah
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
mc
DreamSNES Creator
DreamSNES Creator

Post by mc »

[quote="miah"]
If its hanging because no mp3's are on the folder, then the programmers of DreamSNES really need to learn how to handle error conditions. If no mp3 exists, STOP TRYING TO FUCKING PLAY IT. It's not hard.

-miah
[/quote]

I assure you that the problem is not due to too little error handling.
Quite the opposite in fact. And we know very well what is hard and what
is not, there is no need for such "tips".
FuryVII
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by FuryVII »

I was just saying from my POV what it seemed like based on a couple burns I have done with various changes.

Just switching in a smaller mp3 is helpful too miah. I put a nice quality mp3 of only about 900k and a short playtime. NO problems loading the roms and the music, of course I only have 50 of my favorite roms.

Anyways kudos to the Dreamsnes team, I havent burned Dreamsnes since the initial release (Life gets in the way of games sometimes) and to come back to 0.9.6
is a treat indeed.
ultradude
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ultradude »

everyone thats having problams loading roms..
tell me this...

are u useing DCFACTORY to make the selfboots?
if yes..what version script?

and..if u have the music disabled
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor »

pavelbure wrote: my music sounds like crap when loading, i get all my roms, but i also get a loud ticking sound, oh well.
could it be a bomb???:S
come in peace and leave in pieces

life is hard but the frontside of a train is harder