would lower sample rate help?

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
Krizzzopolis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

would lower sample rate help?

Post by Krizzzopolis »

(i suppose this could be considered a suggestion/request for the next release)
what sample rate is the sound being played at in dreamsnes? snes9x has an option to play at different sample rates.... just a thought. i wouldn't mind playing my games at 11hz mono

and what's up with all these people saying Chrono Trigger runs at 95%? i'd guess 93% is more like it. (lol i'm joking)

well anyway... *goes to a blank item screen to listen to the music closer to full speed* ahhhhhh *sighs in relief*
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I don't know if it is the sample rate of the audio causing the sluggish sound you describe, I think it's due to the fact the SNES sound CPU is a pain in the ass to emulate properly and speedily-- which probably explains why the mono sound option in DSNES speeds up a lot of games, like Metroid.
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

Well if you think about it, the emu usually runs full speed with sound off and doesn't when you have sound off. 0.95 has an assembly graphics core so it makes sense that the sound core isn't assembly. Perhaps when the sound core is assembly then 100% speed will be attained.
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

well not trying to kill your dreams here, but regex wrote an optimised asm sound core for frnes and it made almost no differance... he went back and wrote other parts in asm to make a speedup, but with the core of dreamsnes already asm, i dont think there is much more that could be done for speed except maybe a faster graphics renderer or maybe putting sound onto one of the other chips so it doesnt put a load on the cpu...
stezo2k
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by stezo2k »

if there was a sample rate selection, having worse quality sound would improve speed a lot. playin with 11khz would be near the speed of having no sound.... i dont mind using a low sound quality as long as i got good speed and sound :lol: i hope they add this feature.

I'd say the bitrate of dreamsnes was 22khz but im not sure.

Stezo
Gee... Aint i a cutie?
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

discostu55555 wrote: i dont think there is much more that could be done for speed except maybe a faster graphics renderer or maybe putting sound onto one of the other chips so it doesnt put a load on the cpu...
or re adding the option to disable Transparencies.why oh why was it removed :?
rapigator
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by rapigator »

discostu55555 wrote: putting sound onto one of the other chips so it doesnt put a load on the cpu...
they tried to make the ARM chip do that but it sucked(which is why 0.9.5 wasnt released for christmas)
Krizzzopolis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Krizzzopolis »

zah :(

how discouraging