been playing .95 for a little while now...

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

been playing .95 for a little while now...

Post by discostu55555 »

pluses...
without sound its much faster (with sound to be honest i dont notice an improvement)
another bonus game (qix...much better than most would think)
the return of the interactive menu foreground
mp3 instead of mp2 used for menu music
improved compatability (still couldnt get yoshis island to work, but the mmx games work fine...might be a bad rom)
and, does superscope support mean they figured out the light gun? (dont have any superscope games, so havent tried)
smaller saves 8^[

minuses...
menu music is now grainy and doesnt play smoothly while romlist is loading (probably a result of having to decode mp3 rather than 2)
the top corner icons that pop up when you start a game and when saving (nice feature actually, but wouldve liked an option to turn it off)
no return of the no-trasparancy option 8^[

well thats about it, but as you can see the pluses do outweigh the minuses...is this the big release everyone was hoping for? probably not, but it is definitely heading in the right direction... nice to see they finished the asm core (it was brought up a while back, but they kept saying they werent making much progress), and it seems to be a rather nice update, now if only sound could be made to take less cpu power...
BobsShadow
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by BobsShadow »

Here's some stuff I've noticed that is new.

Pro's:
Alll of the above that discostu said
Speed improved in different areas of games(EX. The World map of Donkey Kong runs much smoother than it did before)
Saving!! All games I've saved are 2 blocks! Even Super Mario RPG which used to be 66 blocks!!
Cool new Art.

Cons:
All of the above that discstu said
Screen shakes on some games when in non full screen(Has anyone else noticed this?)
Last edited by BobsShadow on Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damn My Signature Sucks!
Visit Sega Fan's VMU HQ
Matt Wilson
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Matt Wilson »

Well, DreamSNES was already fast with sound on (Super Mario World was 45 fps in 0.9.3) so hopefully it'll be even better.
?H???
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ?H??? »

when you say mmx games you mean 2 and 3?? because i can't get them to work still? and for some odd reason it took like 15 min for the mp3 i put in there to load, i hope they make it so you can add more the one song ;)
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

I definately see an improvment *with* sound on. Mario World with 94 was to me, unplayable with sound enabled, and barely playable with it off.. it was just too slow. But now, with sound on its playable. Seems a little slow, and you can hear it in the sound too, but its definately good. I'm sure they'll get there.

-miah
Lilmuckers
Resident Transvestite
Resident Transvestite

Post by Lilmuckers »

i was playing the music in winamp and it's slightly grainy there
http://www.Spider-Console.co.uk
the ONLY place to leave
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

i can't get my old save files to work, kind of a bummer. After putting in 19 hours in chrono trigger, i'd be really pissed to lose it, since the game runs so great in .95
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Shoigres
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Shoigres »

My impressions :

THE GOOD

The speed is great now ! Almost ( ALMOST ) perfect , finally . Sure , it's far from the real thing yet , but we have reasons to believe that in the next release we'll see a full speed version . Great great great !!!

THE BAD

Man ... the menu sux completely ! I think this should be the #1 priority for the developers , not the speed : to make a decent menu , like the ones on NesterDC and Smeg .

THE UGLY

That rain of hearts on the screen is completely annoying ! What the hell is that ??? Why ? Ridiculous . Just makes harder to navigate through an already problematic menu .

And the music is something the developers couldn't care less in the next versions ... ( can we take another MP3 , rename it to strings.mp3 and change it in the Sounds folder ? ) .

Thanks a lot for the DREAMSNES developers !
At_The_Gates
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by At_The_Gates »

I must be mad or something then..

1) The menu/games flickers LIKE MAD. Its seriously headache inducing, even at 60hz.

2) The sound skips all over the place in the menu.

3) Game speed is still very bad - i would say no faster than the previous version. Super Marioworld must be running at about 10 FPS. Same for Kirby and DKC. All the games i tried were completely and totally unplayable. Unless you want a headache..

Im using a PAL DC on a 28" Sony Trinitron connected via RGB.

Although it is a great effort and i would like to say thanks to the dev team for continuing with their DC stuff :)
Gokujin
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

LOL

Post by Gokujin »

At_The_Gates you have exactly the same setup as me (read my post "Flicker Mad")

The screen flickers even on my high quality 28" Triniton using S-Video and RGB. DreamSNES 0.9.4 had flickering but it wasnt that bad.

Personally I dont like DreamSNES very much since it has been ages since the last release and there is literllay no progress for the end user.

Please dont give me that "Its a free emulator so shut up". I know its free but I just think its not good.

I'll stick with Zsnes and TV-OUT thanks :lol:
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

I dont know what kind of crack you guys are smoking, but there is definately an improvment. I agree that the menu is highly annoying with the falling hearts and that annoying music. (USE SOMTHING OTHER THAN MP3, MAYBE SOMETHING LIKE xm, OR s3m THAT WAY YOU CAN LOAD THE WHOLE DAMN SONG INTO RAM AND NOT HAVE IT SOUND LIKE COMPLETE CRAP).

The directory listing code could also use some improvment, but other than that I really like this release. a lot of games I've played on 0.9.4 were just unplayable, even with sound off they where incredibly slow, 0.9.5 is definately an improvment. I tested a few games and while they are not full speed they're definately faster. If you enable music you can hear the difference in speed with the music, it plays faster.

I definately say GREAT JOB to the dreamsnes developers. Rewriting the core in ASM is a lot of work, and I'm really happy they did it.

-miah
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

LOL

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

Gokujin wrote: Personally I dont like DreamSNES very much since it has been ages since the last release and there is literllay no progress for the end user.

Please dont give me that "Its a free emulator so shut up". I know its free but I just think its not good.
You sound like a spoiled brat. Currently DreamSNES is the #1 SNES emulator on the DC no matter what your opinion of it is, but if you think you can make a better one then go right ahead, nobody's stopping you.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, it's a free emulator so shut up! :P
Gokujin
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Heh

Post by Gokujin »

With it being #1 does NOT mean it is good :twisted: and i was not arguing the fact that it isnt #1. I was merely implying that I did not like it and you Zoidberg made an arguement or statement out of nothing :lol:

Hah and whats the DreamSNES alternative? Sintendo which is even worse than DreamSNES which isnt even good anyway.

You could say I am spoilt.....ON ZSNES!!! :lol:
FarmerCuckoo
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

The Legend of Zelda

Post by FarmerCuckoo »

All I want to know is: how does the Legend of Zelda run?
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

I didn't play it much last nite, but it seemed to play really well. I didn't feel like sitting through that whole beginning thing and ended up playing SMW.

-miah
emperordahc
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Heh

Post by emperordahc »

Gokujin wrote: With it being #1 does NOT mean it is good :twisted: and i was not arguing the fact that it isnt #1. I was merely implying that I did not like it and you Zoidberg made an arguement or statement out of nothing :lol:

Hah and whats the DreamSNES alternative? Sintendo which is even worse than DreamSNES which isnt even good anyway.

You could say I am spoilt.....ON ZSNES!!! :lol:
Well, it's quite nice that you're spoiled on a finely written program for the PC. If you notice, this is a Dreamcast emulation site.

(Oh, and Dr Zoidberg, I'll give you two guesses as to if Mr. Gokujin has ever coded assembly in his life, well alone C or lameass VB.)
Gokujin
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

LOL

Post by Gokujin »

:arrow:
Last edited by Gokujin on Fri Feb 15, 2002 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gokujin
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Heh

Post by Gokujin »

emperordahc wrote:
Well, it's quite nice that you're spoiled on a finely written program for the PC. If you notice, this is a Dreamcast emulation site.

(Oh, and Dr Zoidberg, I'll give you two guesses as to if Mr. Gokujin has ever coded assembly in his life, well alone C or lameass VB.)
I am just sick of people making up all these lies about DreamSNES such as 'Oh it runs really fast for me" etc..

Fact of the matter is I have followed DreamSNES since release 1 and the current release is worthy of being called 0.92 rather than 0.9.5 just to show how far they have progressed.

I used to like the emu very very much but I lost interest in it due to lack of updates.

oh well it doesnt really bother me as I use ZSNES and I know this is a dreamcast site but why must someone always comeup with a lame reply when another person just purely expresses their opinion on DreamSNES (such as it not being very good) and then get flamed for it? That just does not make sense to me at all :?

WTF does this have to do with which development environment I work in. I have not used assembler as I have never had the need. I use C++ for my work and Borland Delphi Mr Hemmoriodachc
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

Gokujin............Gokujin..........Gokujin.............

it's people like you that slowed down DreamSNES's progress. I don't think anybody cares about your programming skills either. This guy should be banned.
mik
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mik »

I havent burned it yet but i even thought .94 was great.... and most people except for a few whiners... im not going to mention any names.... it sounds like an awesome release, keep up the good work and good luck on the next release to be even better

Congradulations :wink:

Hopefully the next release will appear faster than the last.