DreamSNES 0.9.8 BUG/incompatibility list [Upd. 17 Jul 2008!]

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by nakamichi »

Phew...
Just finished testing all those PD ROMs and about a 100 or so other non-PD japanese ROMs and here's the next part of this West Story (hey,do you remember an AWESOME arcade game with this name? wow! Gimme a West Story/Blood Bros. single game MAME,and I'll be the luckiest bandit-busting cowboy around :)

You can read on if you like MAME,or you can skip this and go direcly to the FRESHLY FOUND BUGS section.It's your choice.

---------------------------------
BONUS CHAPTER: GIMME MAME !
---------------------------------

To the maker of the single-game MAME versions and to all of you MAME freaks:

I would like a FINAL FIGHT,TERRA FORCE,PANG,SUPER PANG,CADASH,KING OF DRAGONS,WONDERBOY IN MONSTER LAND(yes,the RPG-like one),TOKI,CONTRA,SUPER CONTRA,CARRIER AIRWING,U.N. SQUADRON,MAGMAX,XENOPHOBE,STREET FIGHTER II,BOMBERMAN,SHADOW DANCER,TUMBLE POP,CAPTAIN AMERICA & THE AVENGERS,MEIKYUUJIMA,TRUXTON,RAIDEN,RAIDEN II,R-TYPE,GOLDEN AXE,COSMO POLICE GALIVAN,DANGAR UFO ROBO,ARMED F,ASSAULT,CRAZY CLIMBER 2,DARIUS,DOUBLE DRAGON,DOUBLE DRAGON II,GOLD MEDALIST,THUNDER CROSS II,FORGOTTEN WORLDS,THUNDER & LIGHTNING,STRIKE GUNNER,CADILLACS & DINOSAURS,WARRIORS OF FATE,PUNISHER,ALIEN VS PREDATOR(are these four games possible to emulate? they seem a bit too super-16bit compared to SNES fighting games,hmmm...),KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND, and STREET FIGHTER 1(yes,this one is the most-wanted thing ever !) single game MAME versions too.Can't wait to try them on my DC with playable speed,all with correct sound and no bugs.
These games are pure classics which must be played if you are an old-skool arcade freak.They really bring back memories of the quality 8bit & 16bit arcade production.
Oh,man,...FINAL FIGHT...I have the original cartridge for the Game Boy Advance and I must say it SUX!(why have I bought it anyway?)Yes,...it's NO WAY near the original arcade version.LOTS of things are missing and the game is only half the size of the arcade one (read:short).And it's DAMN EASY...I beat it at hardest difficulty with no continues...it was like a joke :( The enemies' AI is terrible compared to the arcade.But when I think of the SNES version,my hair is rising...yuck! :) Gimme Final Fight MAME,and I'll be playing the REAL thing instead.

So,please tell the maker of the single-game MAME to get ALL of these games(if possible) made as a sinle-game MAME and after that,MERGE all of these MAMEs and the previous single-game MAMEs into ONE MAME emulator for DC for maximum fun.Yeah,and only ONE CD to burn :)

Enough of this MAME stuff...lets get to the REAL thing: BUGS!

----------------------------------
FRESHLY FOUND BUGS :
----------------------------------
(PART 1)

- Final Fight (J):
Tile garbage at the "Capcom" logo right after you load the ROM.Dammit,this bug happens only in the best version of Final Fight(the Japanese one=not censored!) of all three regions.Grrr...

- Tekken 2 (PD):
FREEZES with horrible tile garbage when you start a battle.

- Kouryuudensetsu Villgust[Villgust](J):
Pictures flash badly in the prologue,after you select "Start Game".

- Super Famista 5 (J):
A TERRIBLE GRAPHICAL BUG:The background graphics and cursors in the menus are out of alignment.One of the graphic layers is WAY out of position.It's a terrible thing to see.Also,tile garbage appears during memu browsing.It's just a BASEBALL game,but this graphical bug is present in a few other much better games,so fixing this will fix the others as well.

- Stealth (J):
Some of the worst flashing seen in a while:The status and text windows flash badly during the game,making it nearly impossible to actually read something.

- GP-1 Rapid Stream (J)/GP-1 Part II (E):
No collision detection between bikes.You can't crash or even bump into an opponent's bike!

- Xak (J):
After watching the intro(to the very end,after the title screen),the music gets stuck in a terrible loop and after a short time when the intro ends,the game FREEZES.

- Super FX Voxel Landscape (PD):
BLACK SCREEN after you press Start.Doesn't work.Probably because of the broken Super FX emulation in 0.9.8.

That's all for now.More to come in my next post.i have a lot of new games/demos to test and bugs to track.

And a list of all games with bugs which are not fixed from the previous 0.9.7. BUG/Incompatibility list is going to be posted in the next post.
Until then,see ya...and I hope a new DreamSNES will come out(at least a limited BUGFIX-only release for Nakamichi...hehehe)

Sayoonara...and Play More :)
(I'm not advertising the XBOX,btw.)
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

nakamichi wrote:- Netplay? Is it possible to do this on the DC properly yet?
If it is,make it for users with 33.6/56k DIALUP modems.No broadband,please.That way anyone can play,because broadband adapters are not that common as ordinary DC modems are.
This is also OPTIONAL,so add only if the other important things are fixed/added first.
WTF?!? No broadband? Why the hell not both? Wouldn't that be a smart idea? Sheesh...that would leave all of us broadband users who don't have dialup out in the cold.
uZiel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Rudora no hinou

Post by uZiel »

Well I haven't read the posts above so I just don't know if this has been posted yet.

In Rudora no hinou (alias Rudra's secret treasure, or le tresor secret des rudras :wink: ) the screen keeps turnig black for, maybe an only frame every time a textbox appears, it can be very annoying at times...
I don't know if it has to do with the frameskip or something else, but this game runs really well with no sound-no transparencies, I don't even notice the frameskip.
The Black Wind Howls... El Viento Negro A?lla... [http://www.erezatrans.com --> las mejores traducciones]
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

You are playing with NO transparencies? Don't do that.Turn them ON.Playing with transparency OFF makes part of the graphics disappear,turn black or make even the whole screen a black screen in some games.But,even if you turn transparencies ON,there WILL be graphical bugs,because the transparency is PARTIALLY broken/incompletely emulated.

So,whenever you play games,DON'T TURN OFF the Transparencies,play the game like it is intended to look - WITH them.

Wow,I haven't posted here in this forum for a long time.I'm currently busy helping with the XDP3(DC browser) project,and surfing the Japanese web sites for more info.

I'm also having a good time with the Dream Selection Vol.1 compilation disc.Lots of cool stuff there...If you haven't got it yet,BURN IT NOW! :)

But,I haven't forgot to look for bugs.I'm still testing games,but there are fewer and fewer BUGs left...
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Oh,NOW I know what you were complaining about:
Rudora No Hihou is giving you quick "blackouts"? So,this was your problem.
It happens every time,no matter if you turn transparencies ON or OFF.
This game is a very special case.It changes resolution from Low-res to High-res and vice versa VERY OFTEN.So often,that you get annoying "color bleeding" and "blackouts" on your screen.I don't think this happens on a REAL SNES,though.Just see Tales Of Phantasia.This game ALSO changes resolutions,but this is barely noticeable.I think this is a graphical problem in Snes9x/DreamSNES.It's not a very bad bug,but it REALLY can get annoying if you play the game for long periods.
There are MUCH MORE terrible bugs,like REAL blackouts in Y's V:Expert and bad screen flashing in Alien vs. Predator(or was it Robocop vs. Terminator?)
This resolution-cange glitching,compared to THAT horrible stuff...
The point is to get rid of the WORST BUGs first,and then get to the less distracting/annoying stuff.

Well,it's time to test some more games,and a new BUG report is comin' up!
So,keep browsing the forum more often :)
uZiel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by uZiel »

I didn't notice them in zsnes...

Well, i will continue with the bug-hunt :mrgreen:
The Black Wind Howls... El Viento Negro A?lla... [http://www.erezatrans.com --> las mejores traducciones]
gkrykewy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by gkrykewy »

Yeah, I just noticed that screen flashing in Aliens vs. Predator. The good news is that the speed is quite good, at least with mono sound.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

As far as iI know,only the Japanese version of that game doesn't have that flashing bug.All other versions have that nasty bug.If you just want to play it and don't care about the story being all in Japanese,get the JP version and enjoy it flash-free :)

Happy New Year to everyone
Last edited by nakamichi on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

New fresh BUG update coming up very soon.
Just to test 20 more games
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Took me a while,but I managed to test the rest of the ROMs,so now it's time for:

* Beware,NASTY BUGS here *

-----------------------------
FRESHLY FOUND BUGS (Part II)
-----------------------------

- Hiryuu No Ken S Hyper (J):
Refuses to load the ROM.Doesn't even begin to load,but returns you to the main DreamSNES menu!

- J League Prime Goal 2 (J):
Does not load the ROM.Returns you to the DSNES main menu.

- J League Prime Goal 3 (J):
Does not load the ROM.Returns you back to the DreamSNES main menu.

- Jumpin' Derby (J):
FREEZES YOUR DREAMCAST when you load this game.Aaargh!

- Mick & Mack:Global Gladiators (Beta a1):
Does not load the ROM.Returns you back to main menu.

- SeijuuMaden Beasts & Blades (J):
Transparency/sprite priority bugs in the battles.Transparent layers are in the foreground instead of in the background.

- Stable Star (J):
A horizontal WIDE purple stripe is blocking the view at the center of the screen during the horse races.It's really annoying,flashing badly as well.Just watch the intro long enough(2 times),if you don't want to struggle with the most complex Kanji-intensive menu/stats system in this game and spend 1 hour,just to find out how to start a race and see the bug in action. :)
This is the ONLY good Horse breeding/racing simulation available on SNES,from Konami.

- Harukanaru Augusta [Masters] (J):
Half of the sound channels from the music are missing.Strangely,the US version's sound was FULL...hmmm...

- Harukanaru Augusta Masters 2 (J):
Very bad-looking broken transparency in the intro before the title screen.Extra line above the bottom status window in-game.Music fades out very slowly,leading to LONG,unnecesary wait times,because of bad sound emulation! Aaah!

- GT Racing (J):
Terrible flashing of sprites/fonts in the options screen.

- SNES Test Cart by Nintendo (U)[Test Cartridge]:
This is INTERESTING.By running this ROM on reamSNES,you can clearly see the accuracy of DreamSNES' emulation,compared to Snes9x on PC.When running "Character Test",you can see 2 general BUGs:
The broken transparency & priority bug and the 2x horizontal scale&stretch bug.
These bugs are FIXED in the XBOX version of Snes9x,called xSnes9x,which is based on Snes9x 1.39a/Snes9x 1.39MK3b++.
Too bad I can't test the mouse/super scope input/emulation with this ROM.maybe with the next DreamSNES release...

That's all for Part 2.Stay tuned for part 3 coming up soon as I test some more games.

Wait patiently and don't bitch,
The next DreamSNES will come to you like a broom of a witch. :)

Play More...more DC,not XBOX :)
Nakamichi
Xenodwarf
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Xenodwarf »

To add to your mp3 player bug report...
I happened to throw an 80kbs 22khz rugal94.mp3 that came with a Mugen stage on my CD.

DreamSNES doesn't reset and it actually plays it, but badly. The mp3 has some kind of static sound to it to start with so it sounds like a combination of that and high pitch and might be playing at a faster speed. It generally sounds like it's having trouble reading the mp3 off the CD. All the other mp3s I put on sound like they're supposed to.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

I'm kinda busy with the XDP browser project finding out other ways to improve upon it,while searching for bugs as well.
I'm also busy creaating some new music tracks for the DCRPG project.
So this means I won't be hunting for bugs for at least a few days.
But another BUG update is surely coming up,because I've tested many games so far...
Last edited by nakamichi on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uZiel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by uZiel »

Can you please post the DCRPG's website please? I lost the url a while ago...
thx
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

DreamSNES plays low-quality MP3s like crap,but it's GREAT for high quality MP3s (192,256 and possibly 320kbps 44kHz Stereo).

Use DCDiVX for the low-quality MP3s.
It handles the lowest quality MP3s like a pro.
Last edited by nakamichi on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

NOTICE:
--------------
The bug list is *not* dead!
I'm currently very busy with other projects,so I can't post any bug reports until I'm done with them.

If any of you discovers a SERIOUS bug I haven't found so far,you can post it here. I'll try to recreate it and see if it is really something I have missed...

Just,remember,DON'T post about something that's been already posted in this thread and 404NotFound's other BUG List.

I'll update the list soon,as I get my new PC ready.
Last edited by nakamichi on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

Nakamichi thanks for a great Buglist and a fascinating read over all, can i ask if you could recommend any pd roms for the guys over at DCEvolution to include on their next release :)
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

PD Roms...hehe...I LOVE 'em :)
I'll post a list of the best SNES PD ROMs out there when I have the time.
Last edited by nakamichi on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

excellent :)
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
Tai-Pan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Tai-Pan »

Bring on single releases for Final Fight and Street Fighter 1!!

BTW:
Has anyone tried any of Tecmo?s Captain Tsubasa games(CT3,CT4,CT5)? Do they run at almost full speed with sound?
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

About time to update my BUG List after many months.

Great stuff! The DreamSNES MP3 player can play MP3 files of 320kbps bitrate and plays them perfectly! That's really great,cause the other DC MP3 players can't handle such high bitrates.
This means the DreamSNES MP3 engine is still one of the best out there for the DC.
Last edited by nakamichi on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.