Ideas for version 0.9.9

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
SupahJfly
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

BIG THING 9.9 needs

Post by SupahJfly »

MOOOOOOOOOOORE SPEEEEEEEEDD!
With speed and sound you can acutally enjoy the games. Save states, thats for rpgers and that should come in 9.9!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Save games (as already in DreamSNES) are actually part of the original games - the cartridge contained a small ammount of memory that worked like a memory card and allowed game saves. DreamSNES just saves this to the memory card.

Save states need to save the main RAM (which is probably an entire VMU by itself), the sound RAM (64KB), the video RAM, the state of the processor, sound and video output hardware, register settings, and a ton of other information - it might work if you could save to two VMUs at once. ZSnes saves (even compressed) can be up to 200KB, which is well over the capacity of a VMU.

As for the speed request - don't bother asking for it. Everyone asks for it, it's the most obvious one that there is, and the DreamSNES team know it. They've even said it themselves. Don't bother them about it, because they are/will be working on it.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

BlackAura wrote:Save games (as already in DreamSNES) are actually part of the original games - the cartridge contained a small ammount of memory that worked like a memory card and allowed game saves. DreamSNES just saves this to the memory card.

Save states need to save the main RAM (which is probably an entire VMU by itself), the sound RAM (64KB), the video RAM, the state of the processor, sound and video output hardware, register settings, and a ton of other information - it might work if you could save to two VMUs at once. ZSnes saves (even compressed) can be up to 200KB, which is well over the capacity of a VMU.

As for the speed request - don't bother asking for it. Everyone asks for it, it's the most obvious one that there is, and the DreamSNES team know it. They've even said it themselves. Don't bother them about it, because they are/will be working on it.
What about the people who have 4 and 8 meg memory cards? I take it meg is megabit right?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

If so, then those cards would hold 512KB or 1MB. That'd be enough, but I think those cards have to use banks. The VMU's formatting won't let it have more than 256 blocks of 512 bytes (128KB, of which 100KB can be used), so you'd still have to switch banks.
Sakiru
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Sakiru »

Save States shouldn't be implemented, make it like a real SNES. Although you mentioned Save States are not possible, even if they were you really shouldn't include them. I would rather see the smoother emulation, changing screens in zelda/most rpgs isn't very smooth. I could probably deal with the slow downs better if it were smoother.

Although speed in general is a good thing. You don't really have much more to work on. If you want to see a game that runs horribly, try either Yoshi's Island or Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension. DBZHD runs the slowest of any rom I have ever seen :p
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Both of those use custom chips that are at least as powerful as the SNES' CPU - DBZ - HD used a double speed SNES CPU, and Yoshi's Island uses a 20MHz graphics processor. I doubt that either will ever even approach full speed.
jeffma
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by jeffma »

please DO NOT use FULLSRCEEN as default
just use the normal screen
and use TV mode,
most of us dont have VGA
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

TV Mode is only for VGA users.
On an actual TV that option does nothing.
Don't you read the text at the bottom of the screen that explains the options?
:roll:
No signature.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

well some stuff on the emu side not games side...fix it so the speed meter and the snes with controller thing actually FIT on a TV screen...they are off the screen..maybe a feature to adjust screen would fix this issue. heck,in 0.9.7 you cant even tell there is such a feature as speed monitoring,as you cant see it at all onscreen.
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

a do-able addition which would be essential (for the moment):
sound settings: mono, stereo (44100kHz),
and mono with LOW quality sound like 8000KHz (basically the bare minimum).
The reason I want this is because the sound is a huge hinderance on dreamsnes. Almost everything runs 100-102% without sound+transparencies. For 0.9.8, I'm sure most of us are just using a CD player to make up for the silence so even the lowest quality sound would be awesome. :)
"The only thing that we can know is that we know nothing,
and that is the highest flight of human wisdom." -Leo Tolstoy
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

Mr._Chips wrote:a do-able addition which would be essential (for the moment):
sound settings: mono, stereo (44100kHz),
and mono with LOW quality sound like 8000KHz (basically the bare minimum).
The reason I want this is because the sound is a huge hinderance on dreamsnes. Almost everything runs 100-102% without sound+transparencies. For 0.9.8, I'm sure most of us are just using a CD player to make up for the silence so even the lowest quality sound would be awesome. :)
Agreed.Also an option to use the second controller for keyboard hotkeys would be good for peeps who dont have a keyboard(i do,but i hate having to fetch and connect it every time i use Dreamsnes).sdd1 emulation would be great aswell(sfa2,star ocean etc) but im not sure if the DC would have enough ram.
skate_krazee
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by skate_krazee »

Hey... I have an idea for the next release...

you know that little in-game menu you can pop up by holding the stick to the right for 3 seconds?

why don't you guys put a frameskip option in there?
It would help a lot for the games that don't emulate perfectly and run kinda slow (ogre battle comes to mind)

anyways, it would also be cool that, if you used a frameskip option, the prefferred frame skip for each game could be saved to the dreamsnes vmu file so that particular game would ALWAYS run at that certain speed, and you wouldn't have to go into the menu to change the frame skip when you changed games.

just a thought...
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

you know that little in-game menu you can pop up by holding the stick to the right for 3 seconds?

why don't you guys put a frameskip option in there?
umm yeah, people have been asking for frameskip for a long time, but I don't think that's gonna happen soon. The dsnes team wants to achieve 100% speed without the use of a frameskip.
Slamoid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Slamoid »

But if FrameSkip is the only option for 100%, I think it should be considered.

Also, I agree with that guy. Has anyone even considered:

MODEM BASED MULTIPLAYER?!
If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, than the packet pocket socket has an error to report.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Slamoid wrote: Has anyone even considered:

MODEM BASED MULTIPLAYER?!
they really dont know how to work the modem yet. use zsnes with zbattle on your pc if you want to play online.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

I recall about the modem source code or something being released on the Boob! site. Maybe perh or someone could incorporate it?
Slamoid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Slamoid »

Actually, modem source WAS released. I remember a post about it. Search the forum, as I forget where it's at.
If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, than the packet pocket socket has an error to report.
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

well this topic covered it but has a bad link:
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19711

hey slamoid you made some interesting posts on it lol
YES!! PLEASE GIVE US CONTINUUM!!!! CONTINUUM PLEASE!!!

PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!!
LOL
SupahJfly
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Modem based?

Post by SupahJfly »

The modem wouldnt be such a good idea, itd be a waste of time beacuse only few dreamcast owners use the modem feature beacuse of the latency. DreamSNES needs to work on the performance, SPEEEEEED like i posted earlier. It should run smoothly like NesterDc.
donnonotin
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by donnonotin »

well, we may not achive full speed anytime soon, i think the modem based multiplayer is a very good idea. think of how fun that would be. Nester is fullspeed for 2 main reasons.

reason number 1: its open source
reason number 2: Nes isnt a very powerfull system, so its easier to get emulated better