Most Helpful Books?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
sahiphop
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Most Helpful Books?

Post by sahiphop »

Hey guys, as I'm venturing into C++ for the first time, I'm glad to say I'm getting the basic idea for it. I'm wondering though out of the many books I've seen, which ones would you recommend that are the most relevant to giving me the idea how to program for the Dreamcast? I'm not sure if there even exists a book on game dev for Dreamcast, but since there's so many ways to program, I'm trying to find a way to narrow it down to just learning how to do it with Dev C++ and DC Dev ISO 4... so if there exists any books that can teach me, I'm looking for one that covers fundamentals and advanced 3D game dev.

So which ones have you read that gave you an understanding of game dev for Dreamcast? What would you recommend?
Inspired by the GREATEST gaming console of all-time!
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Re: Most Helpful Books?

Post by OneThirty8 »

I tried a few books and didn't really learn much. Also, I found C a bit easier to pick up, and that's generally the language I choose to use. I actually started with SDL tutorials. SDL isn't the best choice for something designed specifically for the Dreamcast (using the KOS API is going to give you better performance once you learn how to use it), but for a platform game SDL should do the job for you. I'd start writing code to run on your PC just to get a handle on programming in C and/or C++. Here's a link to some tutorials I found helpful: http://cone3d.gamedev.net
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I'm in somewhat of a minority in that I don't really feel that it doesn't matter what you start with other than good fundamentals. I learned programming and computer basics from a high school textbook from the 80s that taught Apple BASIC and practiced it on an Apple IIc. The key (IMHO) is to learn certain basics no matter the language: program flow, conditionals, memory manipulation, etc.

Anyways, the best recommendation I can give is to find the website to a beginner university course for C. Most now put pretty much 100% of the material taught in classes online, and not only that but don't use a book (or perhaps use something like the K&R C book). If you look up "15-123" you'll find CMU's (my Alma Mater) intro to C/UNIX course there are maybe 3 or 4 public websites spanning as many years that all have similar material here's one http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~thoffman/S10-15123/
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Check your local library. They have programming books & C/C++ reference books.