Making an ISO on Linux

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
EnigmaticCoder
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Making an ISO on Linux

Post by EnigmaticCoder »

I won't need to do this right away, but I'd like to know how to make an ISO for a DC game on the Dreamcast. I already know how to burn a DC compatible CD-R, but I don't know how to make an ISO. How do I do this (preferably with cdrecord)?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Making an ISO on Linux

Post by BlueCrab »

I'm not sure what you mean by "make an ISO", since I don't understand why you would want to make an ISO but not burn it. Anyway, you can probably follow the canonical directions that demonstrate how to burn a CD, but just not burn it with cdrecord if you really don't want to burn it... See http://mc.pp.se/dc/cdr.html . In the last step, as it is mentioned, you'll probably want to use -xa instead of -xa1 (if burning).
EnigmaticCoder
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by EnigmaticCoder »

I want to make it easier for the end user to burn the game. I'd like to have an image that can be burned with any run of the mill burning software. On top of that, I'd like to make it easier for me to make multiple copies.
henzenmann
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by henzenmann »

This procedure worked for me (pretty similar to Marcuses): http://curmudgeongamer.com/article.php? ... 5232756356
Boths pages won't give you a way to create an easy to distribute/burn image though :-/
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

There's not really an easy way to do it really on Linux. Also, most people who do anything of the sort of doing Dreamcast stuff any more will either A) know how to do things manually or B) have some tool (like BootDreams) that can do everything for them.

The age of distributing .cdis and .nrgs of Dreamcast homebrew has long since gone away.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I'd like to have an image that can be burned with any run of the mill burning software.
Such a thing capable of describing a direct-boot Dreamcast CD doesn't exist. Software capable of burning any multisession image format besides its own native (and usually proprietary) format is the exception rather than the rule.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
EnigmaticCoder
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by EnigmaticCoder »

Ah, I see.

I saw some homebrew CDI files around the net, and thought there might be some way to make an image like I described before. I guess not. :)
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

CDI files are more or less the standard for bootable Dreamcast discs, but they can't really "be burned with any run of the mill burning software". There's some software out there that can sort of handle it (e.g. cdirip), but the only programs I've heard of being able to burn multisession CDI files directly are DiscJuggler (for which CDI is the native format), Alcohol 120%, and BootDreams (which was specifically written to burn Dreamcast CDs, and is itself a wrapper around cdirip and cdrecord).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

BlueCrab wrote:The age of distributing .cdis and .nrgs of Dreamcast homebrew has long since gone away.
Really?

Not until I leave the room and turn the lights off!.
Across the Universe