Question about Internet Functionality

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
zilti
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about Internet Functionality

Post by zilti »

Hi there,
As a fan of the dreamcast I'm now starting my first game project for Dreamcast. It will also contain internet multiplayer.
Now I've got 2 questions about that:
-Is it possible with KallistiOS to use the internet settings stored in the internal Dreamcast-memory?
-Is it possible to include the XDP browser in the game like SEGA did with the Access- and PlanetWeb-browsers?
-I've heard that it's possible to make games to be launched by the web browser. Is that true, and if yes, is it possible with XDP, too?
Thanks a lot!
zilti
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Question about Internet Functionality

Post by BlueCrab »

zilti wrote:Hi there,
As a fan of the dreamcast I'm now starting my first game project for Dreamcast. It will also contain internet multiplayer.
Now I've got 2 questions about that:
-Is it possible with KallistiOS to use the internet settings stored in the internal Dreamcast-memory?
Yes, in that KallistiOS has functions to retrieve the settings stored in the internal memory. What you do with them after retrieving them is up to you (KOS uses those settings to initialize the BBA/Lan Adapter, as long as the configuration settings are for a static IP address). KallistiOS does not have a working PPP stack, so dialup internet is not exactly possible without quite a bit of work.
-Is it possible to include the XDP browser in the game like SEGA did with the Access- and PlanetWeb-browsers?
In theory, yes. It is however illegal to do so without permission from SEGA (the XDP project in and of itself is illegal, as they do not have permission to distribute the browsers).
-I've heard that it's possible to make games to be launched by the web browser. Is that true, and if yes, is it possible with XDP, too?
I'd assume so, but as stated above, distributing XDP is illegal in and of itself.
kohan69
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by kohan69 »

Is it possible to connect 2 modems by a phone line and have 2 dreamcasts call each other?
zilti
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by zilti »

Yes, I think that should be possible because you can use the modem on a very low level.