DC Dev ISO R4

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC Dev ISO R4

Post by emptythought »

To be honest I'm not even sure where to start on this one... this release most importantly has Insight and GDB included. I've been using it for the last month or two and it's a real treat using it. I've included a tutorial on how to use it. Lets go through the changelog. KallistiOS has been updated. The old SDL patches Bero posted to KOS' SourceForge page are applied, lets not forget the timer changes OneThirty8 posted here. More so, SDL headers and libs are finally organized. dc-load IP and Serial have been updated also with a tutorial on compiling it yourself. dc-tool can be used in your Makefile with $(DCTOOL_SERIAL) and $(DCTOOL_IP). Hopefully the people who had problems with "make" in the past don't have the issues anymore since I've added the package to Cygwin. The new GL port by chui has been included however it's lib has been renamed to glx and it's headers are in GLX to prevent the default GL from being overwritten. The toolchain has also been recompiled using the newlib patch KOS provides - more information about that here. And finally, the DreamInducer theme was fixed. No more purple loading screen, no more cut off text and no more load screen fading in\out to speed up the loading time a little. There so many changes I couldn't keep track of, I'm sure there's more like new version of tools in the extras folder, more tools, and some exclusive tools I've made like an VMU LCD image converter and the Chankast BIN loader that's been in the last few releases.

- GDB and Insight included for Debugging
- KallistiOS 1.3 updated to svn 561
- dc-load IP\Serial 1.0.4 updated to svn 556
- dc-tool IP\Serial 1.0.4 included in /kos/utils/dctool
- scramble included in /kos/utils/scramble
- SGE (SDL Graphics Extensions) lib by BlueCrab
- SDL examples by Chui included
- More tutorials (Insight, Updating dc-tool)
- Links to most DC related sites
- "make" package in Cygwin problems hopefully fixed
- Default SDL has been patched to work right
- SDL sources and headers reorganized
- libGLX by Chui and updated SDL libs
- toolchain rebuilt with the fixed newlib patch
- DreamInducer theme fixed

Downloads:
http://dchelp.dcemulation.org/?DC_Dev_Environment
Maturion

Re: DC Dev ISO R4

Post by Maturion »

Awesome. I'm downloading it now.
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BB Hood »

I cant compile something I was working on after installing everything. Cygwin displays this:

63 [main] ? (4044) C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\sh-elf\bin\sh-elf-g++.exe: *** fa
tal error - C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\sh-elf\bin\sh-elf-g++.exe: *** system shared
memory version mismatch detected - 0x8A88009C/0x75BE009C.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version *should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.

So I guess I got to reboot or whatever but yea. This might just be my problem. Got to go to work now so I will try and fix it when I get back home.

EDIT: Can wait to try Insight
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

BB Hood wrote:I cant compile something I was working on after installing everything. Cygwin displays this:

63 [main] ? (4044) C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\sh-elf\bin\sh-elf-g++.exe: *** fa
tal error - C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\sh-elf\bin\sh-elf-g++.exe: *** system shared
memory version mismatch detected - 0x8A88009C/0x75BE009C.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version *should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.

So I guess I got to reboot or whatever but yea. This might just be my problem. Got to go to work now so I will try and fix it when I get back home.

EDIT: Can wait to try Insight
It looks like you have another program open that uses the Cygwin DLL.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Stickied (since I know someone was going to ask sooner or later). 8-)
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BB Hood »

That cant be it. I used the previous version(DDr3) and it worked fine. I rebooted my computer and cygwin was the first thing I opened. I must be something else.

Thanks for DC Dev R4. I forgot to thank you in my first post.

EDIT:
ME <=== Stupid. When I get bored I usually go through the dreamcast development files. To get the programs to work I needed cygwin1.dll so what I did was I copied a version to the sh-elf folder(long time ago) so the program uses the cygwin1.dll in the folder than rather the one in the C:/cygwin/bin directory or C:/windows/system32 directory so when I updated cygwin with this dev iso r4 release the new programs didnt work with the old .dll. Hope that makes sense.

Oh and can you fix a glitch(dont know the proper term) in the tsunami library. I found it a long time ago but forgot to mention it to you and found out about it today because the compiler gave me an error. Go here C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\kos\kos-ports\libtsunami\include . Open up the drawable.h file. Change line 103 from this "float getAlpha(float a) const { return m_tint.a; }" to this "float getAlpha() const { return m_tint.a; }" because you do nothing with the parameter "float a".
Last edited by BB Hood on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Or you need to find another cygwin1.dll on your computer and delete it.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

BB Hood wrote:Oh and can you fix a glitch(dont know the proper term) in the tsunami library. I found it a long time ago but forgot to mention it to you and found out about it today because the compiler gave me an error. Go here C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\kos\kos-ports\libtsunami\include . Open up the drawable.h file. Change line 103 from this "float getAlpha(float a) const { return m_tint.a; }" to this "float getAlpha() const { return m_tint.a; }" because you do nothing with the parameter "float a".
I'll post a patch to the KOS mailing list. If\When it gets applied you can update KOS using the updating KOS tutorial.

Have you tried out Insight now that you have it working? I'm curious if the problem had anything to do with the MinGW version of dc-tool as I didn't have a coders cable to test with. If you're using the MinGW build try using the Cygwin build which you can find here.

EDIT: Actually, the Cygwin build is on the ISO already in /kos/kos/utils/dc-tool/dc-tool-serial.exe.
Last edited by emptythought on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark30001
Mark30001
Mark30001

Post by Mark30001 »

Awesome release! Are you still looking for a Coders Cable?
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Mark30001 wrote:Are you still looking for a Coders Cable?
Yes! I like to use it to test dc-tool MinGW and GDB. :D
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BB Hood »

fackue wrote: Have you tried out Insight now that you have it working? I'm curious if the problem had anything to do with the MinGW version of dc-tool as I didn't have a coders cable to test with. If you're using the MinGW build try using the Cygwin build which you can find here.

EDIT: Actually, the Cygwin build is on the ISO already in /kos/kos/utils/dc-tool/dc-tool-serial.exe.
Yea, right when I read your post I thought that could be the problem. I tried it but got the same results. :x

Im gonna try it using my BBA and see if that works.

EDIT: It works with the BBA. I had some trouble here and there but it helps to delete the "gdmtk.ini(?)" file from this directory:C:\cygwin\home\(NAME) if Insight keeps freezing on you when you try to connect after opening a source file. You'll have to restart Insight of course after you delete the file.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Glad to see you finally got this out. Will look foward to using this final polished version.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Silent Marauder
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Silent Marauder »

Hmm...so I wasn't just imagining it, there really are two DCEmulations now.

In any case, I have a couple of questions about the new release.

1. The download link for R4 doesn't seem to be working, either here or at the other board. Both links redirect me to the front page of their respective sites. Am I correct in assuming that this is due to the site split? If the link can be repaired or a mirror established, that would be much appreciated!

2. Is there anything special I need to do in order to install R4 over my existing R3 installation? That is, can I just put in the disc and follow the instructions as if I were performing a clean install, or do I have to do something to make it work with the existing stuff? (I used R1 on my old machine, I had just downloaded and put R3 on my new computer two months ago, so I've never had to upgrade an existing DC Dev installation before)
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Silent Marauder wrote:Hmm...so I wasn't just imagining it, there really are two DCEmulations now.
There's a long read on the frontpage of dcemulation.org that explains the situation if you haven't read it already.
1. The download link for R4 doesn't seem to be working, either here or at the other board. Both links redirect me to the front page of their respective sites. Am I correct in assuming that this is due to the site split? If the link can be repaired or a mirror established, that would be much appreciated!
It's because of the new front page (the long read). I fixed it now.
2. Is there anything special I need to do in order to install R4 over my existing R3 installation? That is, can I just put in the disc and follow the instructions as if I were performing a clean install, or do I have to do something to make it work with the existing stuff? (I used R1 on my old machine, I had just downloaded and put R3 on my new computer two months ago, so I've never had to upgrade an existing DC Dev installation before)
I think the preferred way is to open the Cygwin installer and uninstall all the packages then remove any leftover undeleted files and folders. I never do that though I just delete C:\Cygwin entirely.
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BB Hood »

I installed this over R3 and didnt have a problem with anything that wasnt my own fault(read earlier posts in this thread). The things you would probably have to worry about is experimenting with the examples. Like if you edited an example to test something out and installing this over your current one which would over write it. I hope that makes sense. Anyway you wont really lose anything important.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Does this release compile nxMakaqu 1.3 correctly?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

You tell me.
Attachments
nxMakaqu.7z
(826.2 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BB Hood »

You linked to an .elf

EDIT: Whoops, got kinda confused. I was looking for source code to test not an .elf. :oops:
Last edited by BB Hood on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Marauder
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Silent Marauder »

Thanks, fackue!
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

BB Hood wrote:You linked to an .elf

EDIT: Whoops, got kinda confused. I was looking for source code to test not an .elf. :oops:
Yeah, I compiled it but I didn't test it.