EZ How to get dev environment guide - Windows guide

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

EZ How to get dev environment guide - Windows guide

Post by HyperG »

Alright, justa make it simpiler for your coding newbies, that just want to advance to coding on Dreamcast follow this simple as heck guide.

Installing Cygwin
----------------------------

1) Download Cygwin setup file from here

2 ) Run the setup file from anywhere. Good place to put cygwin is like in X:\cygwin , where X is whatever drive your going to use.

3 ) Do 'download from internet' first. When you get to a listing of what fiels to get, just go to the very top to All and make sure to change it from default to Install all or whatever it says to check all the files.

4 ) When its done doing the last step, run setup.exe again, and then do the last option it shows, which I believe is 'install from path'. Let it do its thing to continue to the next section.

One last thing is to create a batch file for SH4, this making it looking like the actually BASH shell, which also lets you browse around better then the normal cygwin.bat file the setup makes.

Make a file called sh4.bat or whatever you want, and cut and paste this into it, you can use notepad to do it.

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
SET PATH=C:\CYGWIN\BIN;%PATH%
SET PATH=C:\CYGWIN\lib\gcc-lib\i686-pc-cygwin\2.95.3-5;%PATH%
SET PATH=C:\CYGWIN\USR\LOCAL\BIN;%PATH%
BASH
Building SH4/ARM tools easily

Now its time to get Stalins build script. This eliminates the need of using hangar-eleven.de 's tutorial.

Get the build_script from here.

1 ) The best place to put build_script file at is in your home user directory, mine is for example in X:\Cygwin\home\user .

2 ) Now its time to run it, remember you still need that internet connection of yours in order to use this script, as it downloads the required files.

- To run it go to your X:\cygwin\home\user directory.
- Type in exactly this

./build_script build_sh4
- It will build the SH4 binaries, this will take a while, a few hours at least, depends on your machine also.

- After building SH4 is done, its time to do ARM by typing in the following.

./build_script build_arm
Now you should have the tool chain put together, thus almost ready for Dreamcast development.

If you want to do KOS, you can check out the tutorial at Hangar Eleven for doing KOS. Site is located here.

This worked for me of course, as I finished building my tool chain using this method, only problem i have is missing a few (not really used) binaries .... i really need a working sh-elf-g++ though.

Linux is better though for sure with DC deving as I didn't have one single problem getting anything to work.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.