Cygwin and code::blocks. A dream becomes reality.

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
starlight
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cygwin and code::blocks. A dream becomes reality.

Post by starlight »

Thanks, that sounds great, I'm interested in trying to make some SDL games for DC as I've got several projects already going on in Linux and it shouldn't be hard to get a DC version up if we get the environment setup right =)

Also, do you have any advice for building a linux version of the tool chain? I've tried a checkout of the latest KOS svn, and using the included build scripts but it seems to error out building the version of binutils that the kos build script wants to use. Since I haven't changed anything, I assume this is could be due to my distribution being too new vs. the code being older (I'm using SuSE10.2/AMD64 using a 4.x gcc) - do you have a recommendation for a distribution version that can build the chain with no problems (or is it just AMD64 and I needa x86 version?)? I'd gladly add another distro on my pc if it'd save me a headache building the environment.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

starlight wrote:Thanks, that sounds great, I'm interested in trying to make some SDL games for DC as I've got several projects already going on in Linux and it shouldn't be hard to get a DC version up if we get the environment setup right =)

Also, do you have any advice for building a linux version of the tool chain? I've tried a checkout of the latest KOS svn, and using the included build scripts but it seems to error out building the version of binutils that the kos build script wants to use. Since I haven't changed anything, I assume this is could be due to my distribution being too new vs. the code being older (I'm using SuSE10.2/AMD64 using a 4.x gcc) - do you have a recommendation for a distribution version that can build the chain with no problems (or is it just AMD64 and I needa x86 version?)? I'd gladly add another distro on my pc if it'd save me a headache building the environment.
You might try an older version of gcc--I'm not 100% sure, but I think you'll want to use 3.4.x. I don't think 4.x works for this. You should be able to install more than one version of gcc. You might want to start a new topic so you'll get attention from those using Linux.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

http://consolevision.com/?Dreamcast:Dev ... nder_Linux

That should be all you need -- it's a tutorial on how to set it up on Linux -- and if you check out the posts on the first page, you should be able to figure out how to setup Code::Blocks and KOS's compiler wrappers... in Linux of course. If you use the wrappers you shouldn't have to worry about setting the compiler flags in Code::Blocks, which is a big relief.
petterk
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by petterk »

Okay so Im not able to compile C++ projects with Codeblocks, even after using the settings entered above

Im on linux, so I have set up the "toolchain executables" to the "gnu_wrappers"-dir in the KOS directory.

Also entered the include directories in "search directories" under "compiler", and the "lib" directories under "linker".

Works fine in plain C files but when I start a C++ project and write my C++ code, I get about 36 errors on a file with barely 300 lines.

"undefined reference" x 36.

I have edited the advanced build options. Im used to writing Makefiles as I have done quite abit of C-coding through the years, but I would rather have it all set up through an IDE. Atleast if possible.