DSNES Source Code

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

DSNES Source Code

Post by GyroVorbis »

I was told that it was released. If anybody knows where I can find it, please let me know. :D
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by toastman »

I think it was merged into the SNES9x source code.
No signature.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Thanks man.

I'm interested in trying to get DSNES working with KOS. That way people can really start doing something with it.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Well, the SH4 assembler portion of their work was merged. Not the entire source.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

It would be fantastic if they would give the source to someone. Probably you should ask for it, Scherzo. You already stood in contact with Marcus once. Also others just might spam their email inbox... :?
Insane homebrew collector.
chronofurb
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by chronofurb »

what part of the emulator is slowing things down, the cpu portion or the graphics? if it is the cpu, I might consider writing a new core from scratch. Me and my partners in my software engineering class just wrote our own 6502 core (NES cpu) and its pretty fast. its not written in asm but it is all inline pretty much. but the interesting this is we managed to write it so that everything is done through jump tables, so we are only having to read from memory and not having to write every time. I am sure the snes cpu core was written already with this in mind. but it might be a fun little project
What the hell is dreamcast?
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

take a look at the source

http://www.superfamicast.com/
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

someone working on a snes emu again would be awesome...
if the the goal of a fullspeed snes emu with sound will every reached the guy or team who has done it would see a huge donation of me ;) (and also many others i think)
Christuserloeser

chronofurb wrote:what part of the emulator is slowing things down, the cpu portion or the graphics? if it is the cpu, I might consider writing a new core from scratch. Me and my partners in my software engineering class just wrote our own 6502 core (NES cpu) and its pretty fast. its not written in asm but it is all inline pretty much. but the interesting this is we managed to write it so that everything is done through jump tables, so we are only having to read from memory and not having to write every time. I am sure the snes cpu core was written already with this in mind. but it might be a fun little project
Fox68k told me that the DSNES SH4 ASM core basicly is nothing but a babelfish translation from C to SH4 so he's pretty sure that there's room for improvements.

However, what would you expect to gain from speeding up a laughable 3 (!) MHz CPU ? The SuperNES isn't a NES (with its 3 6502 variants) nor it is a Genesis/Mega Drive (with its extremely powerful M68K/z80 combo).
The most powerful things within the SuperNES are the incredible sound and video hardware. That's why implementing the DreamSNES SH4 CPU to SuperFamicast v2 didn't have any noticable effect.
Having to use the Dreamcast's SH4 for generating the video & sound rendering without even using the AICA or the PVR2DC is the cause for SNES emulation beeing that "slow" on DC.
chronofurb
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by chronofurb »

does anyone know where I can get a techinical document on the opcodes for the pvr graphics cpu and extended information on it. maybe I can work on a core for the graphics that is run directly on the pvr hardware instead of being done in the sh4 cpu
What the hell is dreamcast?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

There isn't really any documentation on the PVR. About the extent of it is:

http://www.ludd.luth.se/~jlo/dc/
http://mc.pp.se/dc/

Everything else is basically example programs, having a look through bits of KOS to see how it works, and trying things out.

The main problem is trying to replicate the behaviour of the SNES PPU. It's actually impossible to do it accurately with the PVR, without being slower than the software renderer you're trying to replace. The best you're going to be able to do is something that's good enough to play games, but you'll have to drop most of the special effects.

You really do need to find some documentation on the SNES first.
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

one could probably write the sound emulation on the aica chip, or wouldn't it be fast enough ?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The ARM? Not fast enough. Not even close, in fact - it can't even manage emulating the Master System's sound hardware by itself.

That said, it should be possible to use the Dreamcast's sample playback hardware to mimic the SNES sample playback hardware, then use the ARM to control the playback as the SNES' DSP would have (ADSR envelopes and so on). I can't immediately see a way to mimic the DSP's echo, filter or feedback effects, but there's a fair bit we don't know about the Dreamcast's sound hardware, so it's probably possible. Ditto with the noise generator. The SH-4 would still have to take care of emulating the SPC700 (the sound CPU) in this scenario, and emulating the SPC700 isn't exactly fast. The SH-4 would also have to take care of working out which bits of memory represent samples, converting them from 4-bit ADPCM to 16-bit PCM, optionally applying gaussian interpolation to them as the SNES DSP does, and uploading them to SRAM. That's probably the single most difficult part. Once you've got that worked out, you just need to work out what frequency to play the samples back at, what volume levels to use, decode the volume envelope, and get the Dreamcast to play the samples back. That's ignoring all the post-processing effects and noise generation, but it'd be enough to get most games running, at least.
Christuserloeser

BlackAura wrote:The ARM? Not fast enough. Not even close, in fact - it can't even manage emulating the Master System's sound hardware by itself.
Hm, I never understood that.... Dunno, it's just something that doesn't get into my head, even if it does it doesn't make any sense... Why shouldn't it be fast enuff for emulating the SMS' sound hardware ?

I know Rand Linden said sth like this a year ago (in fact he insulted Heliophobe just because he started thinking about it :? ). I really admire Rand and I am pretty sure that he got more expierence with the DC's hardware than 99,9% of the people that created commercial games for it, still he's human like all of us and thus he may be wrong... - however, at least I've yet to understand that and why the ARM isn't fast enuff to do anything...
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

The arm's purpose is to direct sound in memory. The arm itself only has enough power to process very small sound samples and to dictate sound in memory. The arm is the slowest part of the dc hardware.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DcSteve wrote:The arm's purpose is to direct sound in memory. The arm itself only has enough power to process very small sound samples and to dictate sound in memory. The arm is the slowest part of the dc hardware.
Actually, that's wrong. The arm within the sound processor is quite powerful, the problem is that the memory interface is so slow that it becomes useless. I've spent large amount of time pondering how this could possibly be used, and have come up with a few ideas, but they are probably somewhere between ridiculous, nonsensical, and the fevered dreams of a madman.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man