Complete DC dev on an ISO

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Smurph »

make doesn't work for some reason. it doesn't appear to even be included.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

How is it not working? It was working fine when I used Make.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Maybe you should try installing it again? I just installed it on a different PC that hasn't even touch the ISO CD yet, as I just reinstalled Windows on it the other day.

I was able to compile the Hello World example just fine, but I would get an error about zlib with the PNG example.

Make sure that when you goto the last step that CYGWIN opens up, and you have to manually close the window before it asks to add the PATH information to the profile.

EDIT: Also make sure that you click I think it's "+ Add Default" until you see it say Install. Maybe you missed that on the first install some how?
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

That must be it. Thanks, LyingWake! Now I know to follow directions. )()(

EDIT: Yup, it worked. thanks again!
Dreamcast ?
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast ? »

I just downloaded it, and it installed properly, but what do I do with this from here? I directed it to the folder with the hello.c source and typed in "make" in the console. It made a file called "hello.o." What does this iso package do? Just compile the c/c++ into DC machine code?

This is the very first time I have ever attempted DC-Dev, and have been looking for somewhere to start. Have I looked in the wrong place for a beginner?

So, where do I go from where I left off? Do I send the "hello.o" file over my coder's cable to the DC?

What do I need to do that if that's the case? dcload-ip, and what else? Just Hyperterminal?

Thanks.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

You'll need DC-Tool to run from the PC and DC-Load for the DC. You can get that here: http://adk.napalm-x.com/dc/.

Simply load DC-Load in the DC and run DC-Tool.exe. Type this into the command prompt:

Code: Select all

C:/wherever/dc-tool.exe -x C:/whereverfileis/example.elf
By the way, the actual DC executable is the .elf file. You don't send the .o to the DC. When you "make" it, a .elf is created, right?

EDIT:
lemme be more helpful and answer more questions.

Yes, the package that you installed pretty much just compiles C/++ into things the DC can use (but there's a lot more, kos examples and docs).

As for being a beginner, this has to be the easiest setup I've ever heard of. No, you've come to the right place if you're just starting out.
Dreamcast ?
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast ? »

Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated.

Got everything working fine. A big thanks to Lyingwake. This is perfect for someone just getting started.

- Dreamcast ?
Dreamcast ?
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast ? »

One more question:

When I go to view the included documentation (manual) for KOS, it tells me in LYX that it can't convert. Is this a problem with my version of LYX or is anyone else having this problem when trying to open it?

(Are there any recommended LYX to ... converters?)

Thanks.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

I've never heard of any converters, have you tried Google?

An off hand note: If you're having problems with compiling projects because of an error it's giving you "undefined reference to zlib", here's a way to fix it.

Goto /kos-port/include.
Rename /zlib to /zlib-1.2.1.
Rename /oldzlib to /zlib.

Goto /kos-port.
Rename /oldzlib to /zlib.

Now open Cygwin, and goto /kos-ports/zlib and type make.
Dreamcast ?
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast ? »

OK, every time I try to compile an example file, it tells me:

"make: Nothing to be done for (directory is listed here)"

I typed in:

make /usr/local/dc/kos1.3/kos/examples/dreamcast/hello

Any idea of what's going on? It seems that the only way I can compile them is to just type "make." It then proceeds to go through every directory in the root cygwin folder and compiles anything it encounters.

Then I get the .elf and .o files.

I also get the same message when I try to compile the 2ndmix example.

Yes, I followed the installation verbatim (one note would be to tell them to click the word and not the "+" when you have to change it to say "install." Clicking the "+" doesn't go anything.)
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Dreamcast ? wrote:Any idea of what's going on? It seems that the only way I can compile them is to just type "make." It then proceeds to go through every directory in the root cygwin folder and compiles anything it encounters.
Yeah, you gotta be in the actual folder. So for example you want to compile the Hello World example, you have to cd yourself to /examples/dreamcast/hello then once you're in the directory, you type make. The ELF file will be compiled in that folder.
Dreamcast ?
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast ? »

:( doing your side note, I think I've caused more problems. When I recompiled the zlib folder, I received one error and now compiling the hello example folder gives me errors.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just changed directories then typed "make" and it went off without a hitch. I'll reinstall the entire package again and see if it works right now that I think I botched the zlib folder up.

Thanks for the help.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

I'm not sure if it's necessary to do the zlib fix if you didn't have any errors before hand. But, what where the errors that you received when typing make in /kos-ports/zlib?
Dreamcast ?
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast ? »

Let me compress the cygwin folder so I can easily extract it instead of having to go through the entire install process again, and I'll recreate the error and let you know.
Dreamcast ?
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast ? »

I just ziped the folder with maximum compression enabled and came out at 280 mb. That's not bad at all. I think there should be a standard package released of this. It would save everyone the hassle of installing (which takes a very long time even with a fast CD-ROM drive). I think the few extra MBs would be worth it in the long run. The only problem is if any of the files point to a drive letter specifically. I know my setup isn't installed on drive "C," so if that would pose a problem, I guess this idea is out of the question unless whoever downloaded it wanted to go through and point all of the addresses in the right direction.

Also, I just tried it out and it must have been a fluke or pure human error. I didn't get any errors this time around when recompiling the zlib directory, and the 'hello' example compiled without a hitch.

- Dreamcast ?
Travis of the Cosmos
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Travis of the Cosmos »

I've been tryng to get the "Hello" example working and this one http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/f ... ute01.html

Before I type "make" I type "environ.sh" while in the kos folder and get no messages so I assume it works.
When you type in "make" are you supose get any text from the cygwin console or do just get the elf file. I'm able to get an elf file. The first line I get in cywin mentions "romdisk" a couple of times, the next 4 line have hexidecimal looking stuff , and the last 15 lines list directories. The directories appear to be present in the cygwin folder. The first two times I tried to install cygwin it didn't automatically install the "make" command so on the third attemt I manually selected it. Could I be missing something else?

Does the "hello" example work in Chankast?

Also is this the correct way to make a selfboot image?
-turn elf file into unscrambed binary with bin checker.
-rename it "1ST_READ.BIN"
-place it in a folder with "IP.Bin"
-run dir2boot on that folder
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

at the same time, i must mention i just installed it and was also unable to get the make command to work. I followed the instructions posted here too. now it's a moot point because i realized devving on my laptop would be insanely hard but i still wanna know what's wrong.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Reinstall cygwin. When you get to the point where it asks what packages, make sure that you specify "install" for everything. At least, that's what worked for me.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

yea, i tried that =P. i read this whole thread to make sure i had tried what was mentioned in here.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man