reading GDs with a dvd drive

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

reading GDs with a dvd drive

Post by Quzar »

I just wanted to know if anyone could give any legitamacy to this discussion:

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=25684

to me it just seems like a really warezy discussion with one person saying he has all this stuff working and a bunch of others asking how.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected
Has thanked: 0

Post by Moi »

I can confirm this working. I could rip the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 from a demo GD once but I've stoped testing ripping after my cdrom drive broke.
The whole process costs a lot of time and not many drives work with this method though.
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by doragasu »

I was able to read about 4 megabytes (the IP.BIN, TOC and something more) of my RE:CV disc 1 with a simple CD-ROM drive some years ago, but I was far from reading the entire disc because I was always getting read errors. I suppose with a better unit (a good DVD-ROM reader) it should work. Anyway, we are not supposed to talk about this, are we?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

the first i think 4mb exactly are the normal data mode section. so you should have been able to read that with any CD-rom drive.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by doragasu »

quzar wrote:the first i think 4mb exactly are the normal data mode section. so you should have been able to read that with any CD-rom drive.
Read more carefully... I wrote I have read the IP.BIN file, and I made it with CDRWIN starting from LBA 45000. And to clear all doubts, in the TOC I could perfectly see the names of the files in the game. I still have the file in my HD, I have just looked at it with an Hex editor, it's only 1,95 megs and starts with the string "SEGA SEGAKATANA SEGA ENTERPRISES BCC GD-ROM2/2 E 0799A00" etc etc etc, just like IP.BIN files. I can also see references to "CRI CD CRAFT VER.2.32" thay I suppose is the CD mastering tool (I really don't know, but this string is where CDRECORD put's its reference) and then at offset 0xA065 I can see the reference to the first file of the TOC: it's "1ST_READ.BIN", followed by "ADV.AFS", "BGM.AFS", "COMMON.MLT", etc.

EDIT: There's a curious thing in this file, from offset 0xB47C to the end of the file it has only zeros.