need to load something in GW-basic

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
spiroth10
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

need to load something in GW-basic

Post by spiroth10 »

Apparantly, it can only run commands it is given...

first off is QBASIC free now? if so I can give them that...

I know someone that has a program written in basic whice they need to use, and they have GW-basic...

they asked me to find out for them, for them, so I downloaded it and tried, but apparently GW doesnt allow the loading and running of .bas programs unless it creates them...

so, if there is no way, should I just offer them another interpreter? they dont have a C compiler, or id try to convert it for them... BASIC is pretty easy to understand...

so any way, Im sure it is possible.

all Ive ever used is QBASIC, and it allows you to load files... though I stopped using "BASIC" languages myself a LOOONG time ago...

I cant imagine going back now... I know more C then I ever did BASIC. lol.

edit: Oh, yeah...
and they need to actually run the program... thanks.
Kamjin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Kamjin »

Qbasic isn't free, but it should be on most windows CD's don't know about 2K, and XP but all the 9X it's in the oldmsdos directory..

GW Basic hasn't shipped since.. Dos 3.X..or 4.X.. (No 5.25 installed and no urge to check) and Qbasic can't run under those OS's.. so even if you find it.. it's kinda pointless...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Any idea what version of BASIC the program was written in?

I think there's a copy of QBasic on the Windows 2000 and Windows XP CDs as well, but I'm not sure where it might be hiding. I don't have any Windows install CDs here to check at the moment.

And where the heck did you get a copy of GW-Basic from?

If you need a DOS to run it on (say, the system you're running this stuff on is actually DOS 3) try FreeDOS. QBasic can certainly run on that.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: need to load something in GW-basic

Post by Phantom »

spiroth10 wrote:they asked me to find out for them, for them, so I downloaded it and tried, but apparently GW doesnt allow the loading and running of .bas programs unless it creates them...
I think it should work as long as the .bas file is ASCII and the BASIC dialect is the same. Many BASIC interpreters will save a tokenized version unless you specify otherside (which is usually accomplished by appending ",A" to the save command, IIRC).

I could be way off the mark though, it's been ages since I last used GW-BASIC. I probably still have it around here somewhere, on a 5.25" floppy. :)
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
spiroth10
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by spiroth10 »

err... they have it under windows XP somehow...

I have my copy of QBASIC on a floppy now...
thing is, I got an old copy of GW basic,

hit LOAD "test.bas"
RUN

and it came out blank...

in the test.bas file, I had
PRINT "HI"
END

thing is they really need that basic program... its old, but necessary... maybe I can convince them to let me convert it to C?? there IS a basic to C converter out there... that or I can do it myself... BASIC is pretty easy...
ragnarok2040
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by ragnarok2040 »

I thought you had to number the commands in BASIC, like:

100 PRINT "HI"
200 END

It's been a long time since I did anything with BASIC and then it was a crippled version of it.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Yeah, GW-BASIC requires line-numbers. I remember how excited I was when Turbo Basic came out and those annoying line numbers were no longer needed...
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

spiroth10 wrote: there IS a basic to C converter out there...
BCX. I use it quite a bit. It's its own dialect of BASIC, though, so you'll likely have to do a little work to get your program to compile. The first thing you'll have to do is remove the line numbers.