General Insanity (Genesis + PVR)

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DcSteve »

can anyone compile a bin of this please.. i would love to test it out and give reports
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

Until there's a menu system, it's not really useful to have a bin because you'd be able to test it only with one predefined game.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Yeah - OK - it works in Chankast - I'm using the 'run as a bin' version and putting my 1 rom into a romdisk... Right, now to fiddle.

First off, in xrender_draw_tile - I you only call pvr_dr_target once, not for each time you submit a vertex - and you don't then have to set all the values for each vertex because they carry across from one to the next. - it's hard to tell, but I think that makes a small improvement.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

doragasu wrote:Until there's a menu system, it's not really useful to have a bin because you'd be able to test it only with one predefined game.
it could be compiled with the rom name set to 'rom.zip' looking at the CD.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Storminator16 wrote:For those who don't know, this emu is what you've all been dying to see: fast speed (frame skip to 2?) homebrewn Genesis/Megadrive emu!
Actually... Frameskip = 0, but it's not quite full speed. Some frames take around 18ms to draw, which means the PVR needs to wait until the next frame to do anything (total 33ms instead of 16.6ms)
When do you plan to add a GUI and such? I have a bit more time lately, so I wouldn't mind trying to add something to this project.
When I've got some of the glitches ironed out. Feel free to help out if you want.
Btw, is tthere a way to exit the emu?
Power button. You can probably add it a bit of code to detect A+B+X+Y+Start and have that exit, but I don't actually know how to exit...
Status bar at the bottom of the screen missing
The missing status bars are almost certainly because I'm not emulating the windowing modes yet. I can emulate them, but they need to replace layer A, and I'm not totally sure how to get that happening yet. Now I at least have a couple of games to test with to give it a go.
Valis 3
I'll need to check that one out. I have no idea what could be wrong with that one.
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
As far as I know, SF2T doesn't work on Genesis Plus at all. I think the cartridge has some extra memory mapping hardware in it, which GP doesn't emulate.
Phantom wrote:Keep up the good work!
Will do!
DcSteve wrote:can anyone compile a bin of this please.. i would love to test it out and give reports
That'd really require a menu, which I don't have right now. If I can get one working, we'll see what we can do.
ice88 wrote:First off, in xrender_draw_tile - I you only call pvr_dr_target once, not for each time you submit a vertex - and you don't then have to set all the values for each vertex because they carry across from one to the next. - it's hard to tell, but I think that makes a small improvement.
I'll check that out. Thanks. I thought the SH-4 used two separate store queues, which would mean that the stuff would carry over from vertex 1 to vertex 3, and from vertex 2 to vertex 4. I know they definitely carry over when you're not using DR, but I've not done a lot with DR, so I'm not quite sure.

Time to experiment then.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Should the sound streaming be working? I have quite a late kos-svn version and snd_stream functions have all changed to take a sound stream handle - I converted them all over, but it's still not working.

Does sound work?
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

OK - like, wow - I just tried this on a real DC (had been using chankast) and I am getting a solid 58-60 fps - although I have no sound!!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Sound uses a version of the streaming API that Stef.D modified. It was intended to be used in KOS 1.2.0, so it might not work in the SVN versions. It does work with KOS 1.2.0 though, even though it has a few problems.

Aside from which, you need to re-enable the Z80 to make sound work properly, and that slows the emulator down. A lot. Change the Z80 clock speed (in main.c) to 228.

Adding Stef's C68K will help that a lot when enabling sound, but we still need a faster Z80 emulator before we can get this thing up to full speed with sound. At the moment, with the hardware accelerated VDP, no sound, using Musashi, it's almost full speed (like 55-60FPS all the time), and with C68k it's undoubtedly full speed all the time.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

just tested it and its really awesome, sonic is almost perfect.
i compiled it with kos-1.2.0 and i have no sound neither, i got a few warnings here and there about implicit declaration of vdp_int_ack_callback just in case its connected.
also i was wondering, does the low resolution really improve speed? if not i think it might look better in 640x480 with some filtering.
i could try and make a quick games browser if that helps, dont expect anything beautiful though.
nothing original, but keep up the good work ;)
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

Is this the beginning of another great team (like the one who made NeoCD SDL/DC)? It could be awesome! (it's already awesome anyway).
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Speud - If you want to write a games browser, go ahead. I've been working on a new GUI for Genesis Plus anyway (which will be very cool if I ever get it finished), but that's a long way off.

The low resolution might not make much difference to speed, but it does make a lot of difference to the complexity of the code. We don't have to screw around with the sprite / tile coordinates to scale them up to 640x480, and I don't think filtering will make any difference at all to the video quality. Personally, I think it looks just fine as-is (except the bits that don't work), but feel free to experiment.

Currently, rendering the scene is taking around 0-2ms, which leaves us at least 14ms to waste. The time to submit the display list for one frame is more like 4-6ms, which leaves us only 10ms for everything else, including both CPUs and sound emulation. That 10ms is just about enough for the 68K using Musashi.

To get sound, you need to re-enable the Z80 (change the last line of dc_options in main.c to 228), and re-enable the sound emulation (uncomment the audio_init line in the dc_init function of main.c) It worked last time I checked it.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

BlackAura wrote:Speud - If you want to write a games browser, go ahead. I've been working on a new GUI for Genesis Plus anyway (which will be very cool if I ever get it finished), but that's a long way off.
ok, i think ill do a temporary menu, this way youll be able to release a bin for more people to test it if you want.
BlackAura wrote:The low resolution might not make much difference to speed, but it does make a lot of difference to the complexity of the code. We don't have to screw around with the sprite / tile coordinates to scale them up to 640x480, and I don't think filtering will make any difference at all to the video quality. Personally, I think it looks just fine as-is (except the bits that don't work), but feel free to experiment.
yes i knew it would probably be harder to change the resolution since its not drawing one texture that contains the whole screen but several textures for each tiles, though after i multiplied the vertex coordinates by 2 in xrender_draw_tile() it looks like it does the trick, and it definitely looks better in 640x480 imo, but maybe thats just me.
BlackAura wrote:To get sound, you need to re-enable the Z80 (change the last line of dc_options in main.c to 228), and re-enable the sound emulation (uncomment the audio_init line in the dc_init function of main.c) It worked last time I checked it.
yes my bad, i didnt read your previous post carefully, sorry. sound works now, its a bit weird (playing twice) and makes things slow down but thats very promising.

Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Limt the sound to to the same fps it runs about 30 to 40 and it stays in time.does not start again etc. Very cheap but works.

/* Calculate the sound buffer size */
snd.buffer_size = (rate / 27); //27 change the number to match
snd.sample_rate = rate;

By changing this you can make the sound stay normal and not do what it's doing. On the SDL version with sound on i get 27 to 30 fps. Also init the sound when you frameskip it makes it synic pretty much perfect.

This speed is with old games it varys a lot. make the sound 8 bit fm lower sample rate the speed goes up again still sounds good.
Dreamcast forever!!!
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

Personally I hate it when emus smooth out the screens from their original resolution and apply filters. Unless its a full on filter such as the hq3x (Hiend3d.com) which really makes a difference I think bi-linear looks terrible on hand drawn sprites (I hate what it does on the neocd emu ive been trying). maybe thats because im an artist. However I wouldnt dream of sacrificing speed to display in an higher resolution etc.

Anyway, exciting stuff on this thread.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

BlackAura, how do you profile the code to know how much time takes everything? Maybe reading from timers?
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

Personally I hate it when emus smooth out the screens from their original resolution and apply filters. Unless its a full on filter such as the hq3x (Hiend3d.com) which really makes a difference I think bi-linear looks terrible on hand drawn sprites (I hate what it does on the neocd emu ive been trying). maybe thats because im an artist.
well, if youre an artist you shouldnt like when pixels are zoomed without applying a filter thus causing bad aliasing. and when the screen mode is set to 320x240 it use a sort of scanline effect that i find quite ugly, but again its only my opinion.
However I wouldnt dream of sacrificing speed to display in an higher resolution etc.
try replacing this part:

Code: Select all

/* Send the upper-left vertex */
	vert = pvr_dr_target(dr_state);
	vert->flags = PVR_CMD_VERTEX;
	vert->x = x;
	vert->y = y;
	vert->z = zbase;
	vert->u = tc_left;
	vert->v = tc_top;
	vert->argb = vertex_colour;
	vert->oargb = 0;
	pvr_dr_commit(vert);

/* Send the upper-right vertex */
	vert->x = x+8;
	vert->y = y;
	vert->z = zbase;
	vert->u = tc_right;
	vert->v = tc_top;
	vert->oargb = 0;
	pvr_dr_commit(vert);

/* Send the lower-left vertex */
	vert->x = x;
	vert->y = y+8;
	vert->z = zbase;
	vert->u = tc_left;
	vert->v = tc_bum;
	vert->oargb = 0;
	pvr_dr_commit(vert);

/* Send the lower-right vertex */
	vert->flags = PVR_CMD_VERTEX_EOL;
	vert->x = x+8;
	vert->y = y+8;
	vert->z = zbase;
	vert->u = tc_right;
	vert->v = tc_bum;
	vert->oargb = 0;
	pvr_dr_commit(vert);
with this one:

/* Send the upper-left vertex */
	vert->x = x*2;
	vert->y = y*2;
	vert->z = zbase;
	vert->u = tc_left;
	vert->v = tc_top;
	vert->oargb = 0;
	pvr_dr_commit(vert);

/* Send the upper-right vertex */
	vert->x = (x+8)*2;
	vert->y = y*2;
	vert->z = zbase;
	vert->u = tc_right;
	vert->v = tc_top;
	vert->oargb = 0;
	pvr_dr_commit(vert);

/* Send the lower-left vertex */
	vert->x = x*2;
	vert->y = (y+8)*2;
	vert->z = zbase;
	vert->u = tc_left;
	vert->v = tc_bum;
	vert->oargb = 0;
	pvr_dr_commit(vert);

/* Send the lower-right vertex */
	vert->flags = PVR_CMD_VERTEX_EOL;
	vert->x = (x+8)*2;
	vert->y = (y+8)*2;
	vert->z = zbase;
	vert->u = tc_right;
	vert->v = tc_bum;
	vert->oargb = 0;
	pvr_dr_commit(vert);
in the xrender_draw_tile() function in xrender.c, and this line:

vid_set_mode(DM_320x240, PM_RGB565);
witht his one:

vid_set_mode(DM_640x480, PM_RGB565);
in the dc_init() function in main.c.
youll see the result by yourself, no slowdown at all, at least that i can notice.

Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

I agree with qatmix, I hate filtering and such for these classic games. I moreso love the scanline effect, but I treid out your idea, Speud. The emu doesn't seem to drop off in speed at all, and some of the sprites seem cleaner. I dunno, I need to test both sizes over an extended period, but I have to leave at the moment. I'll try to test more as soon as I get home.

Damn, it's still hard to believe I'm playing Sonic2 on my DC. :)
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Great, all the coders that are looking at it are too busy playing games now, LOL!

Anyway, if what Speud suggested works without problems, it would be worth looking into. I think tri/bilinear filtering should be optional though, if it is ever implemented. Some people like it, but others want it to be as close to the original as possible.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
elefas
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by elefas »

Hey B.A. does this beast compile under Dev-Cpp? I was trying to compile it yesterday night but it spitted out a hell out of errors and warnings. Most of them had to do with xvdp.c vs vdp.c and xrender.c vs render.c stating multiple function definitions. Anyway I guess it needs pure KOS.
Just keep up the good work!
__.:/|D|C|___eLef@s___|S|E|G|A|\:.__
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

BlackAura wrote:
Storminator16 wrote:Street Fighter 2 Turbo
As far as I know, SF2T doesn't work on Genesis Plus at all. I think the cartridge has some extra memory mapping hardware in it, which GP doesn't emulate.
You are mixing it up with Super Street Fighter 2 I guess. I've made a check with the PC DOS version:

Test version: gp-051303-dos

Super Street Fighter 2 (U) (40Meg) - doesn't work (red screen)*
Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition (E/U) (24Meg) - runs perfectly
Street Fighter 2 Plus (J) (24Meg) - crashes at 1st demo play*, the game itself is perfectly playable
Street Fighter 2 Turbo (h1) (16Meg) - runs perfectly

...and just to be sure:
Bare Knuckle 3 (J) (24Meg) - runs perfectly 8-)

*see error logs below

---

Street Fighter 2 Plus (J) (24Meg)
Ingame error log: Illegal Instruction 04

GP Error log:

PC:00000206	SP:FFFFFF00
PC:00000206	SP:FFFFFF00

PC:00025FEC	SP:FFFFFEEA	SR:2004
D0:800000A8	A0:FFFFDF00
D1:00000034	A1:00008F32
D2:00480018	A2:0000E2AC