C++ Emergency!! PLEASE help.

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
LukeD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

C++ Emergency!! PLEASE help.

Post by LukeD »

<toastman> Ask your teacher. And do your assignments in a timely manner.
It's all About the Pentiums!!!
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

I think you should look at the announcement that's sitting on top of this Forum Section

Don't ask us to do your homework
LukeD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by LukeD »

toastman wrote:You can ask for help, but any request for the board to actually write the program for you will be deleted from here on out.
I know, I'm not asking you to write my homework. Im asking if anyone knows what my instructor is talking about so I can write my homework.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

LukeD wrote:
toastman wrote:You can ask for help, but any request for the board to actually write the program for you will be deleted from here on out.
I know, I'm not asking you to write my homework. Im asking if anyone knows what my instructor is talking about so I can write my homework.
Ask your teacher.
No signature.
LukeD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by LukeD »

So we can't ask for help or can we? Whats the point of saying we can ask for help if, when we do you say ask your teacher? My teacher is only avaliable once a week and it's at a time that I have another class so that's not really an option. What I got from your sticky was that we could ask for homework help as long as we don't ask members to do the work for us. If that's the case why was my question deleted? :roll:
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

LukeD wrote:So we can't ask for help or can we? Whats the point of saying we can ask for help if, when we do you say ask your teacher? My teacher is only avaliable once a week and it's at a time that I have another class so that's not really an option. What I got from your sticky was that we could ask for homework help as long as we don't ask members to do the work for us. If that's the case why was my question deleted? :roll:
So you only have class with this teacher once a week, when you have another class.
Weird school.
No signature.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I think maybe he's saying his teacher is only available outside of class once a week (office hours or whatever), and he needs help before the next time class meets. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. And toastman, I didn't get to read this guy's original question and therefore I wouldn't know if it was more along the lines of 'help me understand this' or 'do this part of my assignment for me', so I'm not trying to say anything about the nature of his original query, nor am I trying to say you made the 'right' or 'wrong' moderating decision.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

OneThirty8 wrote:I think maybe he's saying his teacher is only available outside of class once a week (office hours or whatever), and he needs help before the next time class meets. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. And toastman, I didn't get to read this guy's original question and therefore I wouldn't know if it was more along the lines of 'help me understand this' or 'do this part of my assignment for me', so I'm not trying to say anything about the nature of his original query, nor am I trying to say you made the 'right' or 'wrong' moderating decision.
I understand what he was saying, I'm just countering with the fact that his teacher is a captive audience at least 2-3 times a week.
And maybe I overshot this one, maybe I didn't. But he posted the link to the assignment and basically said, "How do I do this?"
If someone really has a burning problem, I'd rather see this used as a last resort.
Plus the harder I stamp down now, the less of this we get later.
No signature.
LukeD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by LukeD »

Yes my class is once a week but when my teacher is available it is outside of class (office/lab hours it it during the time I have a different class. And yes I posted a link to my assignment but I speciffically said, "I don't understand what my teacher is asking for." The problem wasn't that I couldn't do it myself but it was that I couldn't understand it. I also made it clear before you deleted it that I did not want help writing it but rather "I'm asking if anyone knows what my instructor is talking about so I can write my homework"

I never took calculus (I have no clue why my instructer put that kind of stuff in there) and that is what was involved in the problem (needed to make/use arc tan) so I figured maybe someone could shed some light on the subject.

Anyway what's done is done and I don't want to beat this to death and I'm sorry if I broke any rules but I really thought it was ok as long as people didn't write it for us.
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

I'm one of those people who try to avoid asking friends at school for help with assignments so I won't tell you to ask one of your friends at school, but if calculus was the problem, there are a number of calculus websites math.wolfram.com is a good maths site.

you could send your teacher an email.

Anyway, I didn't see the assignment, but I must say that if you are not taking math as a subject, then the assignment would have given step-by-step instructions (most do). If it didn't, then your teacher probably wanted to test your math skills or math-to-c++ application skills in which case telling you "what the teacher means" would be worse than writing the c++ program for you (hope that makes sense)

A lot of stuff in programming isn't about writing the program, but understanding the problem. I, personally wouldn't mind writing the program for you. The way I see it, cheating will catch up with a cheater eventually. If someone's not mature enough to try something their own way, then they are stupid and, as we all know, stupidity is obvious.

Think the problem over and post your question again, this time, asking specific questions like:

Q) How do I assign a function to "finding a root"?
Q) How do I ensure all the numbers get values?
Q) How do I call the "find root" function until it goes to zero

That way, even Toastman should see that you know your problem and just need a slight nudge which I and any other person here will be happy to provide.
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast