Making games using Katana SDK

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
foo_mark
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Making games using Katana SDK

Post by foo_mark »

Hello, I am sure that some people in this forum has used the Katana SDK without the devbox.

I was wondering if anybody has compiled a sample from the Katana SDK and making it a self-bootable disc using cdrecord, because I am having problems running my program on a disc.

When I insert the disc into the dreamcast, it boots up everything with the Sega logo, but after that it reboots the machine back to the original booting sequence.

Is there anything that I am missing? Did I write bad code or there are some instructions that I have to write in order for the program to run or there is something wrong with the binary that i tried to execute.

Please help me here, because I am not sure how to proceed to create a self-bootable demo.
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan »

Did you scramble the binary?
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
foo_mark
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by foo_mark »

Yes, i did.

Using that scramble program that was made for Cygwin.
foo_mark
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by foo_mark »

But ain't scrambling just makes the disc self-bootable and not scrambling it requires a bootable disc?

I mean that is not the problem, self-booting it, its just running the demo that i have compiled on that disc which is the problem.

Unless there is something so different from GCC that is free and the GCC that came with the devkit, to me, its just any another GCC compiler.
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

I did a quick search and found a site that details building and running the katana demo code that comes with the kit.

http://www.zenadsl5874.zen.co.uk/hydras ... /index.htm
foo_mark
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by foo_mark »

Yea, I know, I checked that site myself as well. I already know that method to run a program. Thanks anyway.

Its only a tutorial explaining how to upload your code using the serial slave, almost the same thing as this tutorial in here:

http://www.hangar-eleven.de/en/devdc-1s ... slave.html

Usually the official GNU compilers that come with the Katana SDK, when you build your project and produce an .elf file, does it scramble it for you or you have to scramble it yourself?
Bigboy
DC64/DreamSpec Creator
DC64/DreamSpec Creator

Post by Bigboy »

In the makefile you have to enable builiding to a BIN file, not an elf, then you scramble it.

DC64 and Dreamspec both used this.... Of course I had an official devkit to start with...
foo_mark
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by foo_mark »

Thanks, I will try that, hopefully, this will boot up that Teapot sample that I compiled.

I will give you more news if any problem persist.
foo_mark
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by foo_mark »

But actually, that's exactly what I did, unless there is something wrong using :

Code: Select all

sh-elf-objcopy -O binary test.elf test.bin
then afterthat, scrambling with:

Code: Select all

scramble test.bin 1ST_READ.BIN
foo_mark
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by foo_mark »

Lately I tried my program on an emulator to see if it was working (Dreamemu ver. 0.0.4.1), since the guy who developed that emulator is running the same demo as me. We get the same results, so that means that its not the program that is the problem, it seems to be the IP.BIN that I created that won't boot the program.

I tried to make an IP.BIN using the 'makeip' tool. The result was that the DC keeps rebooting, instead of running the program.

I tried as well using the official 'IPMaker' that was supplied by Sega Katana SDK, and the result I got is that it keeps going into the BIOS menu of the DC instead of reebooting.

Maybe someone could explain to me, how to create a proper IP.BIN for the demo.
CyRUS64
Boob!boy Creator
Boob!boy Creator

Post by CyRUS64 »

The answer is simple... just strip the first 32kb :)
Katana binaries contain an ip.bin in-built.
Bill & Ted
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Bill & Ted »

OMG ITS CYRUS64

*Bows down to almighty Icarus creator*

So any proggress on the emulator?
-=DC_Zach=-
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by -=DC_Zach=- »

you seem to... uh, worship all emulator creators. lol.

see Dan Potter post for more details.
Bill & Ted
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Bill & Ted »

do you not know who cyrus is?
Hes developing a DC emulator for the PC
-=DC_Zach=-
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by -=DC_Zach=- »

yes, of course I know. Icarus, I have been following for a long time now. Can't wait until he releases a beta or something, it looks to be a tight Dreamcast emulator, and would also make a great program to test homebrew games and such before burning a CD. oooh, I can't wait until its done.
smelialichu
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by smelialichu »

I think it runs very slowly on commercial games (but from the screenshots I've seen produces a very accurate emulation). I guess he's not releasing it because he'd get tons of emails from lamers saying stuff like "I hate your lameass emulator, it won't even olay Chu Chu Rocket full speed". I agree a release would be great for homebrew development, but I use Linux and I believe that Icarus uses DirectX, making a port seem unlikely untill quite a while after release, if ever.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I seem to remember seeing screenshots from two separate video systems - OpenGL and Direct3D.