N64 ROM Streaming...

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Bombshell
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

N64 ROM Streaming...

Post by Bombshell »

I read this in a sticky in one of the forums cant remember so if this is wrong one please move it.

I was just asking myself if it could work if storing partial amounts of the N64 rom into the DC's memory, then taking it as it is needed. That then lead me to think while what happens if that part is not on the split file. Supposing we were using dynamic recompilation and were recompiling the file and reached a code in the middle of the game such as CALL (Mem adress) could you then go into the ROM and read the call function and recompile that part of them ROM deleting the old part from memory? If anyone could shed some light it would be helpful,

Also GBA roms are approx. 1.5 to 2 megs and run a 32-bit processor so would emulation speeds of at least 80% be possible for this sense new information available (This is not a request)
No Name
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by No Name »

Didn't read your post, just the topic, but NO! It's been asked before, many, many times before.
mmm.... n00b blood
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

Also note you are wrong, GBA roms can be anywhere between 4 megabytes and 64 megabytes (most average 16 iirc)...

hell even I dragged up a topic about it which met an untimely death due to stupid mods (I at least had credible info backing up mine, because I did my research before posting)... just don't ask about N64 -> DC period...
Bombshell
DC Developer
DC Developer

Yes i know i came to change that

Post by Bombshell »

I was thinking ROM size packed
Nevermind...
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

GBA roms are megabits not megabytes.

the average is approx 16Mb which is 1024k.
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

qatmix: you are SERIOUSLY confused... the games might be measured in megabit sizes, but the ACTUAL sizes are anywhere between 4 megabytes (32 megabits, Mario Advance for example) up to 64 megabytes (512 megabits).
Bombshell
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Bombshell »

What game is 64 megs...?
The largest game so far that i "Research" :wink: is the "Ougon no Taiyou - Ushinawareshi Toki" The only other one i could think of would be LOTR two towers... which is 16 megaBYTES or (16 * 8 ) 128 megaBITS
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

:oops:

fair enough, I was thinking back to gameboy days.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

i have seen plently of 8-10 megaBYTE gba roms, the thing is.. all you people wanting gba emulators, and n64 emulators are warez monkeys, i mean emulators for sega genesis, snes, nes, older consoles, ect i think are ok to get the roms and use them with emulators in my eyes, considering the manufactorer/developer arent making money off of them anymore anyway, but gba and n64 games are still available at stores, atleast in my area that is, gba is still being manufactored too, you just are warez monkeys and want to play the games for nothing, no money, nothing, want something that some people fork over $30USD to play, if you want to play n64 and gba roms on dreamcast be my guest and code up an emulator, until then, stop asking questions and wanting the emulators, not going to happen, get over it. want to play gba and n64, buy the games.

enough said.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

Xylene wrote:i have seen plently of 8-10 megaBYTE gba roms, the thing is.. all you people wanting gba emulators, and n64 emulators are warez monkeys, i mean emulators for sega genesis, snes, nes, older consoles, ect i think are ok to get the roms and use them with emulators in my eyes, considering the manufactorer/developer arent making money off of them anymore anyway, but gba and n64 games are still available at stores, atleast in my area that is, gba is still being manufactored too, you just are warez monkeys and want to play the games for nothing, no money, nothing, want something that some people fork over $30USD to play, if you want to play n64 and gba roms on dreamcast be my guest and code up an emulator, until then, stop asking questions and wanting the emulators, not going to happen, get over it. want to play gba and n64, buy the games.

enough said.
have to agree with that
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
Bombshell
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Bombshell »

Xylene:

geocities.com/d_by_f/images/stfu/index.html

1. First this was not a port request i was just trying to see the plausiblility of it happening,

2. Dont call me a warez monkey (If that is the term you want to use) Because yes I own an N64 and yes I _OWN_ the games that i BOUGHT LEGALLY for 70.00 CAD about 4 years ago, I also OWN an SNES and I play the games I own for them (Well most) Like Illusion of Gaia and Zelda and FF but it just so happens my SNES broke and it is the fact i cant get it fixed anywhere, So i have to play on my DC and Computer.

And here is my proof:
In Case you cant see it says GAIA and Zelda3 both cartridges are there
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

This should have been closed yesterday before it got out of hand. Now its going to flames :roll:
NightHammer
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by NightHammer »

This topic isn't closed yet? Wow....
All your systems are belong to me
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin