Anybody available to help with dc-load-ip testing?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Anybody available to help with dc-load-ip testing?

Post by Quzar » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:02 pm

As a minor project, I've been going through dc-load-ip and trying to standardize the code for the Sega LAN Adapter (SLA) and BBA to match what is in KOS. 99% is just moving blocks of code around, renaming things, and adding register macros (but there were a number of differences that show some registers being set imprecisely that may have been causing issues). The goal of this is to allow these files to be easily maintainable for changes made to the KOS drivers (and to import any bug/stability/performance fixes that might have been made in KOS in the intervening years since the last update to dcload's drivers).

Though these changes should be almost entirely cosmetic, I'd certainly want to be able to test them and unfortunately I don't have an SLA to do so. Testing should just be a matter of burning and running it, uploading some stuff.

Thanks!
dc-load-ip-Q.zip
(23.09 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Anybody available to help with dc-load-ip testing?

Post by |darc| » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:02 am

Quzar wrote:Testing should just be a matter of burning and running it, uploading some stuff.
Well, first trying to figure out if it's scrambled or not and making a cdi :P
Ran burritro demo, executed just fine, but got send_data error, tried it again, same problem both times.

Code: Select all

darcMBP:tool darc$ ./dc-tool -t 10.0.0.40 -x /Users/darc/Downloads/burritro2.elf 
Console enabled
Upload </Users/darc/Downloads/burritro2.elf>
File format is ELF, start address is 0x8c010000
Section .text, lma 0x8c010000, size 55744
Section .rodata, lma 0x8c01d9c0, size 1140032
Section .data, lma 0x8c133f00, size 3856
send_data: error in response to CMD_LOADBIN, retrying... DBIN
send_data: error in response to CMD_DONEBIN, retrying...
transferred 1199632 bytes at 648700.817748 bytes / sec
Executing at <0x8c010000>
Sending execute command (0x8c010000, console=1, cdfsredir=0)...executing
^C
darcMBP:tool darc$ ./dc-tool -t 10.0.0.40 -x /Users/darc/Downloads/burritro2.elf 
Console enabled
transferred 1199632 bytes at 459087.146730 bytes / sec

Testing with the Broadband Adapter instead did not give the error:

Code: Select all

darcMBP:tool darc$ ./dc-tool -t 10.0.0.39 -x /Users/darc/Downloads/burritro2.elf 
Console enabled
transferred 1199632 bytes at 1626130.344586 bytes / sec
It's thinking...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks darc. I think I'll go back to the drawing board for now and restrict myself to toying with the BBA side, since I can test that myself.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:17 pm

No problem, if you do end up messing with the LAN adapter stuff I don't mind doing testing. I have a good collection of rare DC accessories but they're to play with, not to sit in a box on a shelf. And I have a GDEmu so I don't need to burn CDs.
It's thinking...
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by SiZiOUS » Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 am

First of all I want to say thank you to Quzar for such update. dc-tool/dc-load are, for me, a crucial part of the KOS environment and sadly it seems that it don't have the attention its deserves, especially about the debugging capabilities (which are put in highlight on DreamSDK R2 for ex). Of course, no blame here! I know the whole Dreamcast members are hobbists, starting from me. :)

Unfortunately, I don't own a LAN Adapter but only 3 BBA, so I think I'll be useless for your request.

The only thing I would notice to you, is the fact I made some interesting changes to the dcload-ip/dcload-serial projects and posted them on GitHub. May you, if you would mind, take into account the following:
  • May you create an official mirror of dcload-serial/dcload-ip on GitHub, based on the projects on SourceForge, like you already did for kos and kos-ports?
  • May you take into account my repositories, which contains fixes for the MinGW environment (which not breakes other environments)?
  • Or if possible, may you take into account my bugs fixes, which includes a little issue on the -E parameter handling and more important, proper GDB session closing (more details here)?
Again, I don't want to be rude, as I know my English isn't really great, so please forgive me if I miswritten something; I just want to contribute to promote the fact that Dreamcast development is easy (that's why DreamSDK exists) and keep the community going and fully united (that's why DreamSDK isn't a "fork" of the old development environments like DDE/CodeBlocks DDE and uses only the official repositories, except dc-tool for the reason exposed above)! :wink:
[big_fury]SiZiOUS, http://www.sizious.com/
Warning : This person speak english very badly
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Fri May 31, 2019 11:49 am

SiZiOUS wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 am
Again, I don't want to be rude, as I know my English isn't really great, so please forgive me if I miswritten something
Don't be silly, you're not being rude and your English is fantastic :lol:
It's thinking...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:48 pm

SiZiOUS wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 am
First of all I want to say thank you to Quzar for such update. dc-tool/dc-load are, for me, a crucial part of the KOS environment and sadly it seems that it don't have the attention its deserves, especially about the debugging capabilities (which are put in highlight on DreamSDK R2 for ex). Of course, no blame here! I know the whole Dreamcast members are hobbists, starting from me. :)

Unfortunately, I don't own a LAN Adapter but only 3 BBA, so I think I'll be useless for your request.

The only thing I would notice to you, is the fact I made some interesting changes to the dcload-ip/dcload-serial projects and posted them on GitHub. May you, if you would mind, take into account the following:
  • May you create an official mirror of dcload-serial/dcload-ip on GitHub, based on the projects on SourceForge, like you already did for kos and kos-ports?
  • May you take into account my repositories, which contains fixes for the MinGW environment (which not breakes other environments)?
  • Or if possible, may you take into account my bugs fixes, which includes a little issue on the -E parameter handling and more important, proper GDB session closing (more details here)?
Again, I don't want to be rude, as I know my English isn't really great, so please forgive me if I miswritten something; I just want to contribute to promote the fact that Dreamcast development is easy (that's why DreamSDK exists) and keep the community going and fully united (that's why DreamSDK isn't a "fork" of the old development environments like DDE/CodeBlocks DDE and uses only the official repositories, except dc-tool for the reason exposed above)! :wink:
I will absolutely take a look at your fixes and updates the next time I take a run at this. It's at the top of my Dreamcast project queue, but unfortunately buried under many others.
These users liked the author Quzar for the post:
|darc|