DreamSDK R3 is now available!

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by SiZiOUS »

A lot of improvements and changes are included in this release, like:
  • Experimental Ruby support! This feature uses mruby (lightweight, embeddable Ruby).
  • Totally new toolchains (GCC 13...)!
  • Better Code::Blocks integration (support of 17.12 and 20.03 32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Support for Windows Terminal
  • Offline versions of KallistiOS, KallistiOS Ports and Dreamcast Tool are now integrated in the package
  • Better handling of prerequisites (Git, Python, SVN...)
  • And a lot more changes!
Download DreamSDK R3.

Below the original text concerning the DreamSDK R2 version.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DreamSDK R2 is now available!

A lot of improvements and changes are included in this release, like:
  • Full Code::Blocks IDE integration, including debugging on the real hardware, directly from the IDE!
  • DreamSDK Manager was redesigned and improved a lot.
  • A lot of new tools are included now, like makedisc, allowing you to create CD releases of your programs.
  • The Help content was improved a lot and it's now available online (and of course, it's still available in the package too).
  • A lot of other things that you will find out by yourself!
For those who don't know what is DreamSDK, it's a package which contains everything you need to develop for the Sega Dreamcast video game console on Microsoft Windows. This isn't a ready-to-use high level framework like Unity, it's a low-level SDK which is based on KallistiOS (KOS). So you'll need to learn Dreamcast programming with KOS and learn C/C++ programming languages.

Download DreamSDK R2.

Below the original text concerning the DreamSDK R1 version.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
So after almost 2 months of intensive work, I'm really happy to announce you that my latest project is done: DreamSDK R1 is out.

DreamSDK is a modern, ready-to-use environment for the Sega Dreamcast development designed for the Microsoft Windows platform.

Main features are:
  • Fast & easy to install: just double-click on the setup file and let the program install & configure everything for you.
  • Ready to use: All the required toolchains (for the SuperH & Yamaha AICA) are already prebuilt and ready-to-use.
  • Lightweight: Thanks to the MinGW/MSYS environment, the space used on the disk is minimal.
  • Configurable & upgradable: With the included DreamSDK Manager tool, manage DreamSDK components really easily.
  • Respectful of the standards: DreamSDK is 100% compliant with the KallistiOS standards and documentation.
This package has a very different approach comparing to the others packages of this kind. The major difference is that KallistiOS is not included: instead it's downloaded/installed from DreamSDK Manager, which is a tool part of this package. This will keep up-to-date your installation and will allow DreamSDK always be usable, as only the toolchains (SuperH & Yamaha AICA) are included (which don't changes often). In clear, doing so will give you the possibility to update KallistiOS directly from the DreamSDK environment.

Please also note that I'm using the official KallistiOS repositories (kos and kos-ports) and not my repositories (which contains various fixes on the build systems). The exception is dcload-serial and dcload-ip: I'm using my repositories as official ones will not compile on MinGW/MSYS without my fixes.

DreamSDK was built to be the greatest environment for Sega Dreamcast development on Microsoft Windows. I hope you'll enjoy it as much I enjoyed to make this package.

Download DreamSDK.

Note: This package contains only free & open source tools and libraries.
Last edited by SiZiOUS on Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author SiZiOUS for the post (total 2):
KingCrazyJuan
T_chan
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: DreamSDK R1 released

Post by T_chan »

Thanks for that !
Will have a look at it during the holidays.
keidash
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by keidash »

Hi!

Thanks for this framework Sizious, I would like to try it with my current developmnet.

I have some questions that I'm looking for and I'm not found it completely.

1. Whats is the coder's cable? What possibilities it has? Disadvantages and advantage to use it?
2. How can I debug my games with the broadcom adapter between PC and Dreamcast?

Thanks,
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

This is really nice and should allow a lot of people to pursue DC development. Thumbs up :kisskiss:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

keidash wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:51 am Hi!

Thanks for this framework Sizious, I would like to try it with my current developmnet.

I have some questions that I'm looking for and I'm not found it completely.

1. Whats is the coder's cable? What possibilities it has? Disadvantages and advantage to use it?
2. How can I debug my games with the broadcom adapter between PC and Dreamcast?

Thanks,
1. The coder's cable is a cable that connects a computer to the Dreamcast's serial port (other port on the back next to video). It was originally connected via an RS232 plug, but now many have them modified to usb. The biggest disadvantage to its use is the speed compared to the Broadband Adapter (BBA). The biggest advantage is that the debug code is smaller and can debug network issues if writing software for the BBA.

2. The standard way is to use dc-load-ip. A disc is loaded to the dreamcast with a pre-set IP (I use a blank IP and use my router to manually assign an IP to my dreamcast's mac), then the same software on the PC side allows binaries to be sent/executed along with other functions (such as CD emulation and debug console support). I haven't walked through Sizious' SDK to see how this is added in, but it should all be there as they are the two most documented and long-standing methods to debug.

Many now do use other methods, such as emulation or other hardware solutions like SD card readers.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
francbeno
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by francbeno »

Very nice. I installed and compiled a small sample already, with an iso and run it.

But I have a question: I read online that you can debug with serial port coder cable. And I know some emulators can use serial port or named pipes. Do you know if any emulator on windows can connect to a gdb debugger? I think it will be easier and faster to use emulator than real machine?
Bouz
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Bouz »

Great news, Sizious! Nice to see you are still in the house.
Will try this very soon!
Bouz
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Bouz »

Hi,

I have installed your SDK yesterday and I have never installed KOS so easily, this is really great! Your site is also a great help during the install process.
Bad new is my code is 8 years old and some APIs seem to have changed a bit ;-)

Another problem is I am not able to link k++ :-/ Did you include support for C++ dev?

Thanks for your hard work on this!
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: DreamSDK R2 is now available

Post by SiZiOUS »

Quzar wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:56 pm I haven't walked through Sizious' SDK to see how this is added in, but it should all be there as they are the two most documented and long-standing methods to debug.
The DreamSDK package is 100% compliant with the official KOS documentation and uses the official Git repositories from SourceForge. Comparing to other SDK previously released, DreamSDK doesn't contains any KOS, KOS Ports or dcload/dc-tool files, everything is handled by the DreamSDK Manager application which basically avoid the developer user to enter commands manually.

So all statements regarding KOS, KOS Ports or dcload/dc-tool remains true for the DreamSDK package, in clear, if the developer user wants to run/debug Dreamcast programs, he will need to burn dcload-serial/dcload-ip and run dc-tool. Starting from DreamSDK R2, the Code::Blocks IDE integration is now available, which allow to debug programs in an user-friendly way.
francbeno wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:14 am But I have a question: I read online that you can debug with serial port coder cable. And I know some emulators can use serial port or named pipes. Do you know if any emulator on windows can connect to a gdb debugger? I think it will be easier and faster to use emulator than real machine?
Redream provides a virtual GDB connector. DreamSDK doesn't support this method for now but if you are interested, have a look here.
Bouz wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:41 pmAnother problem is I am not able to link k++ :-/ Did you include support for C++ dev?
This is a KOS related question so it isn't really related to DreamSDK but my guess is that the libk++ doesn't exists anymore. C++ is supported, as I've tested some C++ only samples, mainly the one using libtsunami which is a C++ only library.
KingCrazy
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by KingCrazy »

Hello!

First off, let me just say thank you so much for the work you put into setting up this SDK! It's really nice to see a lot of these tools and utilities centralized in one place!

I decided to give this a shot, since I was getting a bit tired of taking a break and coming back to a mess of folders and files inside MSYS2 and across multiple virtual machines (used to build certain tools that seemed to only work on Unix systems), all while trying to wrap my head around the whole process step-by-step again!

I ran into a bit of an issue though. I went to go build the default project that appears when you create a new Dreamcast project in Code::Blocks, but it's telling me that I'm missing romdisk.o. Once I read that, it dawned on me how I have no clue how to compile the romdisk object without having direct access to the makefile. Is there something I'm missing here? Or am I just supposed to make a separate makefile just for the romdisk and run that using the DreamSDK shell?

Thanks so much for the help, and thank you once again for all your hard work!
These users thanked the author KingCrazy for the post:
SiZiOUS
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SiZiOUS »

KingCrazy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:10 amFirst off, let me just say thank you so much for the work you put into setting up this SDK! It's really nice to see a lot of these tools and utilities centralized in one place!
Thank you very much! :mrgreen:
KingCrazy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:10 amI ran into a bit of an issue though. I went to go build the default project that appears when you create a new Dreamcast project in Code::Blocks, but it's telling me that I'm missing romdisk.o. Once I read that, it dawned on me how I have no clue how to compile the romdisk object without having direct access to the makefile. Is there something I'm missing here? Or am I just supposed to make a separate makefile just for the romdisk and run that using the DreamSDK shell?
This is really strange. Do you have the Use embedded resources (romdisk) option ticked?
Code::Blocks Romdisk Option
Code::Blocks Romdisk Option
Checking this will add the following to your project, in the Project build options window:
  • Under Linker settings, the Other linker options which references romdisk.o;
  • The following Pre-build step: $(DREAMSDK_MKRDOBJ) $(PROJECT_DIR) $(TARGET_OBJECT_DIR) $(TARGET_OUTPUT_FILE)
So if you select the Project > Build options and click on the Linker settings, you should have:
Code::Blocks Release Romdisk Object
Code::Blocks Release Romdisk Object
Code::Blocks Debug Romdisk Object
Code::Blocks Debug Romdisk Object
And in the Pre-build step (directly on all the targets):
Code::Blocks Pre-build Step
Code::Blocks Pre-build Step
Let me know if your project is configured in that way... but this should be automatic when generating the project! :cry:

Edit: May you tell me if your Settings > Global variables inside Code::Blocks looks like this?
Code::Blocks Global Variables
Code::Blocks Global Variables
KingCrazy
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by KingCrazy »

Hmm, yes those all seem to be the case. I created a new project and made sure that "Use embedded resources (romdisk)" was selected. I checked the linker settings and the romdisk.o was listed there. The Pre-build steps were missing, but after adding those it still seems to give me the same error. It appears as though the romdisk object is just simply not being created.

I am running this on a 32-bit windows XP virtual machine, but I don't think that should matter in regards to this.
Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Capture4.PNG
Thank you very much for your help, though! It's much appreciated!
These users thanked the author KingCrazy for the post:
SiZiOUS
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SiZiOUS »

OK I think I found the issue: This is because you have spaces in your project path. I will fix this for the R3.

May you try the following: Create a new project in C:\temp\ and verify that the romdisk checkbox is ticked. Then try to build the project again.

Anyway thank you very much for reporting!
These users thanked the author SiZiOUS for the post (total 2):
KingCrazy|darc|
KingCrazy
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by KingCrazy »

Yep! That did it! Thanks so much for the help! ^^
lillapojkenpåön
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by lillapojkenpåön »

Wow, thanks so much for this, this is sick! you have no idea how many times I've thought about installing KOS and given up when looking at the installation tutorial.
I also got a no such file or directory for romdisk.o
and the pre build thing was missing for me to even when I created a project with no space, but no space and adding it made it work.
What does the message about ..debug target, select release target.. mean?
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SiZiOUS »

lillapojkenpåön wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:57 pm Wow, thanks so much for this, this is sick! you have no idea how many times I've thought about installing KOS and given up when looking at the installation tutorial.
I also got a no such file or directory for romdisk.o
and the pre build thing was missing for me to even when I created a project with no space, but no space and adding it made it work.
Yes, this will be fixed in the R3. :oops:
lillapojkenpåön wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:57 pm What does the message about ..debug target, select release target.. mean?
I think that you should read the DreamSDK Help (it's also installed on your computer) and more precisely the Code::Blocks 17.12 Integration chapter: everything is described here. That message means that you cannot use the Run command (green arrow) from the Code::Blocks IDE if you have the Debug target selected, but only the Debug / Continue command (red arrow):

For the Release target, it's inverted: you cannot use the Debug / Continue (red arrow) command but only the Run command (green arrow).
r3n
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by r3n »

Hi guys, first of all - great project, i've wanted to try some dc programming for years :)
Unfortunately - some files are missing or I've messed something up having no idea what am I doing :) :
Updating KallistiOS repository...
Already up to date.
Initialize KallistiOS environment...
Building KallistiOS library...
for i in utils kernel addons ; do make -C $i || exit -1; done
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils'
for i in genromfs wav2adpcm vqenc scramble dcbumpgen; do make -C $i; done
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils/genromfs'
cc -O2 -Wall -c -o genromfs.o genromfs.c
cc.exe: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [genromfs.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils/genromfs'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils/wav2adpcm'
cc -O2 -Wall wav2adpcm.c -o wav2adpcm
make[2]: *** [wav2adpcm] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils/wav2adpcm'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils/vqenc'
cc -O2 -Wall -DINLINE=inline -I/usr/local/include -c -o vqenc.o vqenc.c
make[2]: *** [vqenc.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils/vqenc'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils/scramble'
cc -o scramble scramble.c
make[2]: *** [scramble] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils/scramble'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils/dcbumpgen'
cc -O2 -Wall -DINLINE=inline -I/usr/local/include -c -o dcbumpgen.o dcbumpgen.c
make[2]: *** [dcbumpgen.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils/dcbumpgen'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/utils'
make: *** [all] Error 255
Building bin2c...
gcc -o bin2c bin2c.c
gcc.exe: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory
make: *** [bin2c] Error 1
Building kmgenc...
cc -O2 -Wall -DINLINE=inline -I/usr/local/include -c -o kmgenc.o kmgenc.c
make: *** [kmgenc.o] Error 1
*** Operation done with errors.
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SiZiOUS »

This is a really strange issue, as everything to perform compilation is included in the package.

May you start a DreamSDK Shell and try to enter gcc --version?
r3n
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by r3n »

"gcc.exe (MinGW.org GCC-6.3.0-1) 6.3.0"
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer