How to make a cdi file from my recent compiled KOS project?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
keidash
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to make a cdi file from my recent compiled KOS project?

Post by keidash »

Hi all!

Sorry if this post exists but I'm not found some similar post (maybe a did a bad search)

I'm new on KOS. I'm comming from BennuGD development and I've many problems with the BennuGD RAM administration (a bug in BennuGD for DC port, doesn't allow me to free it) and audio on Dreamcast projects.

Currently, I'm working on my game BeatTendency for Dreamcast and I would like to see what offer me KOS to "if is possible" rewrite my bennugd code to KOS.

I'm triying to compile de hello example of KOS and I got it, but I want to run it on demul or nullDC to try it, but I don't know how to do it. My compiled project path has the next files:

- hello.c
- hello.elf
- hello.o
- Makefile
- romdisk
- romdisk.img
- romdisk.o

How I convert it to a cdi file? With Bennu, I put a 1ST_READ.BIN file in the same path of the compiled result and with BootDreams I make a CDI of this path. Sorry if this explanation exists but I don't find it :-(

Manyu many thanks
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: How to make a cdi file from my recent compiled KOS project?

Post by BlueCrab »

You'll need to create a 1ST_READ.BIN out of the compiled binary, then you can pretty much follow along just like you would have before (with BootDreams or whatever).

To make a 1ST_READ.BIN, you'll want to take your .elf file that's compiled (in this case, hello.elf), and do the following:

Code: Select all

kos-objcopy -O binary hello.elf hello.bin
$KOS_BASE/utils/scramble/scramble hello.bin 1ST_READ.BIN
This assumes, of course, that you're using a relatively recent version of KOS (from the past 4 years or so) that comes with the scramble utility.

Mind you, the hello example in KOS doesn't really do anything (it prints out a "hello world" message on the dcload terminal, not on the screen or anything).
keidash
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by keidash »

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply BlueCrab, I have executed those commands and I have some doubts with this.

1) With the first command (kos-objcopy -O binary hello.elf hello.bin) the terminal throw me some warnings or errors (I don't know) with a unexpected operator, like this. It's a important error?

/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 6: [: ==: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 9: [: ==: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 12: [: ==: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 6: [: binary: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 9: [: binary: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 12: [: binary: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 6: [: hello.elf: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 9: [: hello.elf: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 12: [: hello.elf: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 6: [: hello.bin: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 9: [: hello.bin: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 12: [: hello.bin: unexpected operator
Despite of this messages, the hello.bin file was created.

2) Then, I created a 1ST_READ.BIN file with the second command ($KOS_BASE/utils/scramble/scramble hello.bin 1ST_READ.BIN). No problems here, only one question. I suposse that to make a cdi file, for example with bootdreams, I only need the hello.bin and 1ST_READ.bin file, right?

Thanks for your help, you are very kind!
tonma
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by tonma »

I don't know for the kos-objcopy error, but you only need 1ST_READ.bin after the conversion to use with bootdreams.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

keidash wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:34 am Hi again,

Thanks for your reply BlueCrab, I have executed those commands and I have some doubts with this.

1) With the first command (kos-objcopy -O binary hello.elf hello.bin) the terminal throw me some warnings or errors (I don't know) with a unexpected operator, like this. It's a important error?

/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 6: [: ==: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 9: [: ==: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 12: [: ==: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 6: [: binary: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 9: [: binary: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 12: [: binary: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 6: [: hello.elf: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 9: [: hello.elf: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 12: [: hello.elf: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 6: [: hello.bin: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 9: [: hello.bin: unexpected operator
/home/ubuser/dreamcast/kos/utils/gnu_wrappers/kos-objcopy: 12: [: hello.bin: unexpected operator
Despite of this messages, the hello.bin file was created.
That's quite strange that you'd run into issues like that... What OS/shell are you using?

You could also do the following (instead of the kos-objcopy line), assuming that your toolchain install path is in your $PATH environment variable (otherwise you just need to include the whole path to sh-elf-objcopy, which is often /opt/toolchains/dc/sh-elf/bin/sh-elf-objcopy):

sh-elf-objcopy -O binary hello.elf hello.bin
keidash wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:34 am 2) Then, I created a 1ST_READ.BIN file with the second command ($KOS_BASE/utils/scramble/scramble hello.bin 1ST_READ.BIN). No problems here, only one question. I suposse that to make a cdi file, for example with bootdreams, I only need the hello.bin and 1ST_READ.bin file, right?

Thanks for your help, you are very kind!
For this particular example program (and most other examples from KOS), all you'd need is the 1ST_READ.BIN. For other programs (anything that'd load data off the CD), you'd need more, of course.
keidash
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by keidash »

Perfect! If I use sh-elf-objcopy instead of objcopy no errores were executed and I did the 1ST file correctly. Now i'm going to do the cdi and try it and see the console log to see the hello world.

Many many thanks BlueCrab and tonma

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDITED:
The cdi file didn't work on the emulator, make it crashed :?: :?: Any ideas?
lerabot
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lerabot »

This is what I usually use to make my CDI. Check that the paths are matching yours.
This will build your .iso and.cdi files outside the current directory. This is to prevent re-adding your .cdi/.iso to your disk everytime.

DIR=$PWD
PROJECT_NAME="project"

#elf transform??
sh-elf-objcopy -R .stack -O binary main.elf output.bin 

#scraming process - make sure you have your path right
/path/to/Dreamcast/kos/utils/scramble/scramble output.bin 1ST_READ.bin

#creating iso -> -o outputname.cdi / build files path
mkisofs -C 0,11702 -V PROJECT_NAME -G IP.BIN -r -J -l -o ../$PROJECT_NAME.iso $DIR

#transform iso into a CDI
/path/to/Dreamcast/kos/utils/cdi4cd/cdi4dc ../$PROJECT_NAME.iso ../$PROJECT_NAME.cdi -d > cdi4dc.log