Mac OSX dc serial not detecting

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Mac OSX dc serial not detecting

Post by BB Hood »

The only dc development I have done in the past is on Windows. Now I want to develop on my Mac.

After pulling out the old coder's cable and recompiling dc-serial(host and client) from here: https://sourceforge.net/p/cadcdev/dcloa ... ster/tree/ I reached a block.

Macbook Pros don't have serial ports so I bought a usb serial converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LB ... UTF8&psc=1

After booting the cd and hooking up the cable to my Mac I am unable to send any data to the dreamcast. I think it is because Im trying to use:

SERIALDEVICE = /dev/ttys000

but I did some research and found that I need something along the lines of:

SERIALDEVICE = /dev/cu.usbserial-5B24

But when I did a ls /dev/cu.* I dont get anything like cu.usbserial*. I did more research and it said that I may need a driver for my mac. Any recommendations? I don't want to install a bunch of random drivers I don't need.

I.M. Weasel I know you have experience with Macs and DC dev and you just gave away your serial cable. Any clues you can send my way?

Using macOS Sierra 10.12.6
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Mac OSX dc serial not detecting

Post by BlueCrab »

If you don't see any /dev/cu.* devices then you definitely need a driver for it (run "ls /dev/cu*" in a terminal and see if there's anything that looks likely). Of course, to find the driver, you'd probably need to know the particular USB-Serial IC that's used in the cable in the first place...

There's really only a few popular ones out there (and all the clone devices of them), so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out... If I had to guess, I'd guess it's either a PL2303, an FT232 (or clone thereof), or a CP2102 (listed roughly in order of my guess of how probable it is)...
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BB Hood »

Thanks again BlueCrab. I tried installing all of those drivers with no luck. In the 2+ years of owning a Mac I have never had to manually install a driver so now I know. I sent the seller on amazon a question hoping that they will respond but I think I will have to buy usb to serial adaptor that actually comes with drivers.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I never actually got a dev setup on my mac. Sorry I cant help. :cry:
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BB Hood »

Got it to work! I bought https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 (Sabrent USB 2.0 to Serial (9-Pin) DB-9 RS-232 Converter Cable, Prolific Chipset, Hexnuts, [Windows 10/8.1/8/7/VISTA/XP, Mac OS X 10.6 and Above] 2.5 Feet (CB-DB9P)) usb to serial cable that claims to be plug-n-play but Ive already installed one of each (PL2303, FT232 and CP2102) of the drivers and it was listed as cu.usbserial when I ran "ls /dev/cu*" in the terminal. I forgot how slow it was...but I didnt play around with the baudrate.

dc-tool -t /dev/cu.usbserial -x dcp.bin
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

You can probably at least bump the speed up to 115200bps, rather than 57600... That said, you may not be able to bump it much higher than that. The only time I've had luck bumping it any higher than 115200 is when I have a CP2102 wired directly into the console...
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BB Hood »

For some reason the output gets to "Console Enabled" when I try and change the baudrate. It's fine though.

This is what I ran in the terminal:

dc-tool -t /dev/cu.usbserial -b 115200 -e -x dcp.bin
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Sometimes it'll work with the -e and sometimes you need to leave it off... Personally, I've had one machine where I needed it, whereas I haven't on most others. :roll: