Building a DC development environment

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
bbmario
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Building a DC development environment

Post by bbmario »

So, i've been using lxdream to test a couple of my demos and so far it works great. I have a bunch of commands on my makefile so i just get to run F5 on sublime and i get the game running. However, i fear that when i finally get to the console, everything is going to go south on me. What kind of hardware do you guys suggest in order to build a real development environment setup? I have a DC and a TV near the computer and, so far, i've been burning CD's. Is there a better way?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Building a DC development environment

Post by BlueCrab »

If you can get a hold of a Broadband Adapter or a LAN Adapter for the console for a good price, then they're the best bet for use with debugging on a console itself. Once you have them, you'll simply need to burn a copy of dcload-ip and set your tools up to send the binary up to the Dreamcast with dc-tool on your PC instead of running lxdream.

It is also possible, if you're handy with soldering, to modify a Dreamcast to incorporate a simple and cheap ($5 or so) USB->3.3v Serial adapter. Once again, you'd be using dcload and dc-tool on the PC side, but the -serial version instead of the -ip one. This would normally be used with a coder's cable, but those are pretty hard to come by these days, and it's much cheaper (and simpler these days, since most PCs don't have old DE-9 serial ports anymore) to just mod the USB serial adapter into the console.