Bug in C++ version of fread

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Bug in C++ version of fread

Post by Chilly Willy »

While working on a C++ program with the current KOS, I ran into a problem - fread() doesn't work for jack. It sometimes works, and many times doesn't. There's no rhyme or reason to be found - it just fails whenever it feels like it. It works fine in C programs - not a hitch at all. What I've done at this point is switch the C++ program to fs_read(), which works just fine. I'll probably leave it, but someone might want to look into this bug. I'm leaving this mainly as a warning to others working in C++: DON'T USE FREAD!!!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Bug in C++ version of fread

Post by BlueCrab »

Considering that there is no difference between fread() in C or C++ (other than that it is put in the std:: namespace in C++ when you include <cstdio> instead of <stdio.h>), I think there's something else afoot here. There's no good reason that it should work in one and not the other otherwise...

EDIT: Just so I can have some idea of where to look, is the issue exhibiting itself when using the same file pointer for a long period of time, or is it only when opening and closing different files? Is it exhibiting itself with only one file open at a time, or with multiple? Also, what filesystem are you trying to read from (/cd, /rd, /pc, etc)? Basically, I need a lot more information to have any idea where to look...
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

For reference, I ran over 2000 passes of this piece of code without any issue:

Code: Select all

#include <cstdio>
#include <iostream>
#include <cstring>
#include <stdint.h>
#include <kos/thread.h>

using namespace std;

uint8_t buf[1024], buf2[1024];

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
    FILE *fp;
    uint64_t counter = 1;
    size_t amt;

if(!(fp = fopen("/cd/1ST_READ.BIN", "rb"))) {
        cout << "Cannot open 1ST_READ.BIN" << endl;
        return -1;
    }

amt = fread(buf, 1, 1024, fp);
    if(amt != 1024) {
        cout << "Error reading from file" << endl;
        return -2;
    }
    fseek(fp, 0, SEEK_SET);

while(1) {
        cout << "Test pass " << counter << endl;
        amt = fread(buf2, 1, 1024, fp);
        if(amt != 1024) {
            cout << "Error reading file on pass " << counter << endl;
            return -3;
        }

if(memcmp(buf, buf2, 1024)) {
            cout << "File contents don't match on pass " << counter << endl;
            return -4;
        }

fseek(fp, 0, SEEK_SET);
        memset(buf2, 0, 1024);
        ++counter;
        cout << "Test pass completed..." << endl << endl;
        thd_sleep(500);
    }

return 0;
}
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Chilly Willy »

The program opens all files in use and leaves them open until you explicitly delete the refs. Then functions are called that fseek/fread the open files. In the case we're talking about, a WAD file is being scanned for chunks. It reads the header okay, then failed to read the directory. When I got it to read the directory with a work-around, it then succeeded and failed on random chunks. Switching to fs_seek/fs_read "fixed" the problem.

I don't think a small snippet will exhibit the same issue. This seems like something that only pops up in a major size app. This one is 2M. If I was forced to guess, I'd guess some kind of issue with memory barriers or the like.