Dream3DGE 1.29 source [impending release]

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dream3DGE 1.29 source [impending release]

Post by Corbin »

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about releasing the Dream3DGE 1.29 source code to the public. Even though Hypertension HD is still in development (and uses a significantly upgraded version of this engine), I figured people would be interested to check it out and maybe build their own games with it. All of the posting I did here recently (about Cygwin/etc) was to re-compile Dream3DGE 1.29, which I have done and fixed a few (but not all) bugs.

The source/engine is buggy, for instance, no sound/music (I think it can be enabled at CT but memory hits ensue), clipping issues (weapons clip through STBAR, for instance), and other minor stuff. Though, it will accept mods made with EDGE 1.29 (and lower). And since I am the sole maintainer/programmer of 3DGE now (we're at 1.37), I'm pretty much the only one who remembers/can support the old 1.29 (lots of things, including a new renderer, changed it drastically after that version number). I think it'd be cool to give other people a chance at making their own first-person shooters. They can always use the source to upgrade or take it in a different direction, too. It's licensed under GPLv2.

I'm not planning on releasing 1.37 until the moment HyperHD releases (just a personal preference to give the game some sort of commercial presence at shipping time), but I figure this can get the modding community for both EDGE and the Dreamcast up and running again. Since BoR and their mods sort of became the de-facto (also Quake, I guess), something that can truly stand as a product on its own should be cool. With a few tweaks, it can be completely stand-alone, and the modding possibilities don't exactly ground the engine in first-person, either. The fact that no other DOOM engine released on DC supports anything other than DeHacked (which this uses DDF/RTS for scripting custom content/creatures/weapons/etc) should be a nice treat for you guys.

I feel bad for releasing such an old version (this one predated the Hypertension 2009 Game Informer trailer release), but it's better than nothing. I've been looking to get the community kick-started again. I can release the source and the "binaries" to get people started quickly. We're sort of going through a boom right now (go-ahead to release lots of Scourge/Hyper shots, custom fan content, etc) and I talked with the big guys before deciding this.

Any thoughts/suggestions/dislikes? If people here support the idea, I'll wrap it up and maybe do an exclusive release through DCEmulation. I've already created some compile instructions at my home forum, and I'll do my best to support the old version until we release the revamped one.
Attachments
980506_564479196928207_966863916_o.jpg
Christuserloeser

Re: Dream3DGE 1.29 source [impending release]

Post by Christuserloeser »

That sounds great but I wouldn't expect too much enthusiasm if you label your release as buggy but do not highlight some of its features (stable frame rate? supported visual effects? etc.) as well as providing more general information on what EDGE actually is and what it is capable of.

I think I can get most of that information from what you've written but it'd be helpful if you'd write a short introduction for the release explaining the basics in one short sentence.
Insane homebrew collector.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

Of course, I plan on releasing a ton of documentation and setup guides for both the end-user and the modder. I would never just be like, "Well here you go have fun" without some sort of walkthrough.
Notable 3DGE Features

Extrafloors (3D floors), removing the original DOOM limitation which didn't allow rooms over rooms. EDGE supports real 3D room-over-room, bridges, and liquids.
DDF (Doom Definition Files), allow Mod/TC/PC creators to completely customise monsters, attacks, weapons, pickup and scenery items, linetypes, sectortypes, intermissions, and so forth... using fairly simple to understand text files.
RTS (Radius Trigger Scripting), provides per-level scripting support, allowing custom scripts to run when the player enters certain parts of the map, or performs certain actions, or when certain monsters have been killed (to name a few possibilities).
GLEDGE takes advantage of hardware 3D acceleration via the OpenGL library.
Jumping, Looking up/down, Flying (JetPack), Zooming.
Many limits and bugs from original DOOM removed (e.g. no more visplane overflow or medusa effect).
It's basically a heavily-enhanced DOOM engine, capable of playing through the official games, DeHacked mods, and EDGE-made mods (some BOOM compat exists too). It just so happens that it's capable of easy-to-understand modding and a goldmine of documentation to go with it. Hypertension was built at the base of the engine, but we did a lot of hacking for things like split-screen and other neat features that exist in the engine today.
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Corbin wrote:
Notable 3DGE Features

Extrafloors (3D floors), removing the original DOOM limitation which didn't allow rooms over rooms. EDGE supports real 3D room-over-room, bridges, and liquids.
GLEDGE takes advantage of hardware 3D acceleration via the OpenGL library.
It's basically a heavily-enhanced DOOM engine, capable of playing through the official games, DeHacked mods, and EDGE-made mods (some BOOM compat exists too). It just so happens that it's capable of easy-to-understand modding and a goldmine of documentation to go with it. Hypertension was built at the base of the engine, but we did a lot of hacking for things like split-screen and other neat features that exist in the engine today.
Sounds cool.

Kind of ironic you mention 3d floors.
Recently ( in the last month or so ) I have begun creating a map format, as a means of describing a 3d world in terms of geometry, as well as fast collision detection between objects and the world around them.
In my initial implementation, I used the term HeightMap.
My HeightMap format is essentially a jagged 2d array of 3d vertices, considered as control points,
as for any given x,z position a corresponding y value (height) could be found by x,z table look-ups and then interpolating the y value between the control points of the face.
Soon after I got things working, I realized this was limited to only 1 y value for every x,z position.
As such, it reminded me of early 3d fps titles like doom or wolfenstein3d where you only have one level of elevation for every x,z position.
This deficiency led me to the development of what I call a CubeMap.
My CubeMap format is now a jagged 3d array of 3d vertices, completed with Face descriptions to render the geometry described. The look-ups are a bit slower, but allow for multiple levels of elevation per x,z position. This allows for bridges like you mentioned, where a player can walk over and under a bridge.

Anyway, yes please upload what you have so others may learn from it :lol:
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Indiket »

Hey guys!

I would not feel bad about releasing an old version, people will have more interest (oh look, new homebrew!) and modders will be so happy to have new toys to play! :)

As Christuserloeser states, information is crucial to help newbies to understand the features of the engine.

Looking forward to see the release!
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

I just logged back in to mention Scourge in my ATF thread when this topic caught my eye, so I'm very excited about this!

Any kind of release can only be a positive thing for the community, and I think there are plenty of people that would feel motivated by this. The fact you're planning on including plenty of documentation is equally awesome.

I'm guessing from talk of the trailer that this build was from before splitscreen was added? That's one feature I'd love to see available to the community one day, as I think multiplayer (especially co-op) could add a lot of excitement to DC modding.

Anyway, thanks again for deciding to share some of your work with the community. I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out!
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

I was just wondering if there's any updates on this? Thanks.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Dream3DGE 1.29 source [released]

Post by Corbin »

Yes, it's been released. Head over to the News section of this board to view the announcement.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Awesome! I can't believe I missed that. Thank you. :grin: