Dreamcast (and Saturn) development under linux

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
petterk
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast (and Saturn) development under linux

Post by petterk »

Hi all,

I am looking to some work on both these platforms. My developer background comes mainly from Android and Web-development.

I normally use the Eclipse-CDT IDE under Arch Linux x86_64.

Is there any way I can integrate a dev environment for Saturn/DC with my existing IDE?

Im a very experienced linux user and also a experienced programmer. Just havent been doing any work on any of these platforms yet, although looking to contribute for the next months.

Regards
Petter
Norway
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Dreamcast (and Saturn) development under linux

Post by PH3NOM »

Not a linux user, so sorry cant help you there.

But good luck and welcome to the forums!
petterk
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by petterk »

Thank you! I recently also got myself a Saturn so looking forward to start developing for both platforms.

Maybe you can answer another question, since your a Windows user (Im guessing):

Is it possible to have both dev environments installed for Saturn and Dreamcast, alongside, in the same IDE?

I know SaturnOrbit comes with Dev-C++, and some Dreamcast developers stuff also comes with it, and since they're both SH-family processors, the ideal would be to just have one IDE for both, but with different templates for compilers and libraries.

Or do I have to have one installation for Saturn-dev, and one for Dreamcast-dev?
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Newbie »

I know very few little things about that but :

I think you must install a tool chain for each architecture profile (in windows or linux) , then fill two different profiles for Saturn and Dreamcast and edit config things for each profile to give compiler and linker correct path. When you create a new project, you certainly could choose the profile you want to use which means Saturn or Dreamcast compiling. On devC++, there's a profile system like this.

In windows you could make it certainly with cygwin.

It seems that making a tool chain (compiling and setting) is a hard thing ... but i am a complete newbie ...

Hope it helps !
petterk
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by petterk »

Okay thank you.

So, to get started, do you guys recommend the DDEr4 or just installing the plain (latest) KallistiOS by itself?

Does KOS include all of the libraries that DDER4 does, or are those extra libraries something I would have to download later ?

I'm trying to read as much threads as I can to get a good start, but most of the threads are very old, and I know KOS 2.0 is released, and most of the dev-bundles like DDER4 is out-dated and use KOS 1.3 and such.
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

>Is there any way I can integrate a dev environment for Saturn/DC with my existing IDE?

Oh man, that's my dream!
I want to create or adapt some opensource industrial-power ide to wrok with Dreamcast, to have the ability to load, compile, and what is more essntial for me, to debug loaded applications.
So, to get started, do you guys recommend the DDEr4 or just installing the plain (latest) KallistiOS by itself?
DDEr4 is extremely outdated. It has a very old version of compiler, KOS, and libraries.
Better choice would be to download KOS from git repository, with the lates librarties and compiler toolchain. You can build it on your own, or just download a pre-built version from dс-swat site (that's what I did).
Also, what DDER4 is essentially is just a disk with installer, old version of KOS and kos-ports and outdated compiler + some tools and copy of IDE installers (some outdated versions of codeblocks).
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
petterk
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by petterk »

Is this what you mean?

SH4 Disassemblers and Official bin utils Pack v1.0 by SWAT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Newbie »

You can build it on your own, or just download a pre-built version from dс-swat site (that's what I did).
Could you please submit the download link ?
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Newbie »

petterk
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by petterk »

I have compiled and set up KOS correctly, but I havent integrated it to any IDE yet.

Is there a guide on how to set it up through an IDE?

Like netbeans, or Eclipse?
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

Code: Select all

Is there a guide on how to set it up through an IDE?

Like netbeans, or Eclipse?
For Codeblocks there's a comprehensive guide on DDER4 disk.
For Eclipse and NetBeans there're lot of 'em on the web - there's nothing specific to Dreamcast. You just connect gcc crossplatform compiler and binutils(linker, gdb, etc stuff, that you had built).
Could you please submit the download link ?
Sure.
Here it is: http://www.dc-swat.ru/download/dev/gcc_ ... ib_1.19.7z
For arm-elf rename all binaries to arm-eabi.

So what about working on the project of unified Dreamcast IDE together, experienced developer?
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
petterk
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by petterk »

Thanks guys.

I have created 2 PKGBUILDs for Arch Linux, for those who are interested: KPIT GNUSH and KPIT Eclipse. Just PM me.

Regarding unified IDE; Im already stuck with many other projects at the moment.

Currently having a project ongoing for both Android, Saturn and Dreamcast. News will be posted @ www.petterk.net, but may take a while.
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Newbie »

Is it really possible to make independent (and legal) programming for Saturn like in Dreamcast ?
Yijral6
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Yijral6 »

Newbie wrote:Is it really possible to make independent (and legal) programming for Saturn like in Dreamcast ?
It sure is. Any homebrew development is legal as long as you don't do illegal things like any game development, such as breeching copy-write laws or saying your product is licensed by SEGA when it isn't.