Transfer Code Thru Standard Modem

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Velovix
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Transfer Code Thru Standard Modem

Post by Velovix »

So, I'm very new to this whole Dreamcast homebrew fiasco, and I'm still trying to get set up.

One area that seems particularly sticky are the ways one is expected to transfer code for testing. I'd rather not have to build a rickety coder's cable or plop down $100+ on a broadband adapter, but those look to be the only discussed options.

Is there a way to use the standard dialup modem to send in code? If there isn't, why isn't there one? I know it would be slow, but patience is cheap! Thanks!
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Transfer Code Thru Standard Modem

Post by Ex-Cyber »

It can be done, but IIRC it usually requires additional hardware anyway to provide the line voltage (unless you have a pair of phone lines you're willing to tie up for transfers). In principle you could do it with a VoIP adapter, but that requires some unusual configuration (i.e. I'm not sure most VoIP hardware actually supports it) to happen.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Velovix
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Velovix »

Thank you for the speedy reply!

Are there any guides for how this might be accomplished, or am I in uncharted ground by attempting this?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

With multi-session CD-Rs you can update the binary over 20 times to test it; you just won't be able to use the debugging tools that need a coder's cable.

Also, a SD card reader can help even more than CD-Rs, is much less expensive than a BBA, and easier to find than a coder's cable.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube