New to C++ (simple code confusion)

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Yotta2r
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to C++ (simple code confusion)

Post by Yotta2r »

Hi :)

I'm completely new to C++, and I found this forum.. I'm sorry if I'm not allowed to post here..

I'm following the book "beginning c++ game programming" by Michael Dawson, and I'm on page 14/ 15.

On those pages there are some codes, but they simply wont compile & run.. I get an error (red mark). I use Dev-C++.

I'm really sure that the code isn't wrong. I have even checked it up with a few sites..

Here is the code:

Code: Select all

// Game Stats
// Demonstrates declaring and initializing variables

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
    int score;
    double distance;
    char playAgain;
    bool shieldsUp;

short lives, aliensKilled;

score = 0;
    distance = 1200.76;
    playAgain = `y';
    shieldsUp = true;
    lives = 3;

aliensKilled = 10;

double engineTemp = 6572.89;

cout << "\nscore: " << score << endl;
    cout << "distance: " << distance << endl;
    cout << "playAgain: " << playAgain << endl;
    //skipping shieldsUp since you don't generally print Boolean values
    cout << "lives: " << lives << endl;
    cout << "aliensKilled: "<< aliensKilled << endl;
    cout << "engineTemp: " << engineTemp << endl;

int fuel;
    cout << "\nHow much fuel? ";
    cin >> fuel;
    cout << "fuel: " << fuel << endl;

typedef unsigned short int ushort;
    ushort bonus = 10;
    cout >> "\nbonus: " << bonus << endl;

return 0;
}

Can someone tell me whats wrong? :O

- Thanks! :)
Yotta2r
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: New to C++ (simple code confusion)

Post by Yotta2r »

The errors occur from:

and

playAgain = `y';

....?
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Consoles rarely every support "standard" out or in, so things like printf and cout can't be used. Also, no programming language out supports "smart" quotes, be they single or double. Use a programmer's editor instead of a text editor for coding. Visual Studio on Windows, Bloodshed, CodeBlocks, and Geany are all good IDEs with syntax coloring. Eclipse is also used by some folks, but a little heavy for my taste. I prefer Geany for my uses.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Yotta2r wrote:

You've got the first stream operator there going the wrong direction. Change the ">>" at the beginning of the line to "<<".

playAgain = `y';
You have to use the ' character for both sides. You've got a ` before the y, which is wrong.
Yotta2r
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Yotta2r »

Chilly Willy wrote:Consoles rarely every support "standard" out or in, so things like printf and cout can't be used. Also, no programming language out supports "smart" quotes, be they single or double. Use a programmer's editor instead of a text editor for coding. Visual Studio on Windows, Bloodshed, CodeBlocks, and Geany are all good IDEs with syntax coloring. Eclipse is also used by some folks, but a little heavy for my taste. I prefer Geany for my uses.
I seriously didnt understand a thing of that! Im currently too noob, haha! But really, Thanks anyway! :D
Yotta2r
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Yotta2r »

BlueCrab wrote:
Yotta2r wrote:

You've got the first stream operator there going the wrong direction. Change the ">>" at the beginning of the line to "<<".

playAgain = `y';
You have to use the ' character for both sides. You've got a ` before the y, which is wrong.

That worked! Thanks A LOT! :D
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Yotta2r wrote:
Chilly Willy wrote:Consoles rarely every support "standard" out or in, so things like printf and cout can't be used. Also, no programming language out supports "smart" quotes, be they single or double. Use a programmer's editor instead of a text editor for coding. Visual Studio on Windows, Bloodshed, CodeBlocks, and Geany are all good IDEs with syntax coloring. Eclipse is also used by some folks, but a little heavy for my taste. I prefer Geany for my uses.
I seriously didnt understand a thing of that! Im currently too noob, haha! But really, Thanks anyway! :D
Your entire program prints out a few lines, and has the user type in some input.

It does all video output and user input via cin/cout.

Sure, you can get it to compile, but problem is, this will not work like you expect it to on Dreamcast.

Simply, on Dreamcast, cout will not print to the screen, and cin will not get the user input from a keyboard.
Yotta2r
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Yotta2r »

PH3NOM wrote:
Yotta2r wrote:
Your entire program prints out a few lines, and has the user type in some input.

It does all video output and user input via cin/cout.

Sure, you can get it to compile, but problem is, this will not work like you expect it to on Dreamcast.

Simply, on Dreamcast, cout will not print to the screen, and cin will not get the user input from a keyboard.
Ahh.. Well... The whole book is using this program, so I will have to use that program for now! Thanks for explanation! And thanks for the warning! :)
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Yotta2r wrote:Ahh.. Well... The whole book is using this program, so I will have to use that program for now!
That's normal. C++ itself does not specify any sophisticated I/O framework, just the bare minimum for writing usable programs (console I/O and file I/O). There are many different ideas and standards for how to do things like graphics, sound, and GUIs, so the C++ standard doesn't try to choose these things for you. C++ doesn't stop you from doing them, but it also doesn't say how to do them, so a "C++" book won't really cover them. When you're ready for those things, you'll need to choose libraries for them and learn how to use those libraries.
I seriously didnt understand a thing of that!
He's worried that you might be using a word processing program (like Word) to write your code instead of a text editor or IDE, because the quote problem you had looks like something that word processing programs do to "correct" your punctuation.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Yotta2r
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Yotta2r »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
Yotta2r wrote:Ahh.. Well... The whole book is using this program, so I will have to use that program for now!
That's normal. C++ itself does not specify any sophisticated I/O framework, just the bare minimum for writing usable programs (console I/O and file I/O). There are many different ideas and standards for how to do things like graphics, sound, and GUIs, so the C++ standard doesn't try to choose these things for you. C++ doesn't stop you from doing them, but it also doesn't say how to do them, so a "C++" book won't really cover them. When you're ready for those things, you'll need to choose libraries for them and learn how to use those libraries.
I seriously didnt understand a thing of that!
He's worried that you might be using a word processing program (like Word) to write your code instead of a text editor or IDE, because the quote problem you had looks like something that word processing programs do to "correct" your punctuation.
1. Thanks for clearing that up for me! really nice beginner information! Should serve me well :)

2. I'm only typing in with notepad and dev-c++, but thanks to both of you! :D
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

Damn, I don't understand. Why when some idiot starts a thread, it get a tons of answers. When I start a thread, I receive nothing. Why?
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
Yotta2r
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Yotta2r »

RyoDC wrote:Damn, I don't understand. Why when some idiot starts a thread, it get a tons of answers. When I start a thread, I receive nothing. Why?
The secret is the thanks and the smiley's :)
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

Yeah, quiet it is.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

RyoDC wrote:Damn, I don't understand. Why when some idiot starts a thread, it get a tons of answers. When I start a thread, I receive nothing. Why?
The key is the fact that people knew the answer to the question posed in this thread. General C/C++ questions are usually pretty easy. Ask about specific IDEs and such, and then you limit your group of potential responders. For instance, I've never used Code::Blocks (or Dev-C++ in a very long while, for that matter). I tend to ignore questions directly about either one of them, since I have no experience with how they work or fit into the environment as a whole. I can't speak for others around here, but I'd assume most people don't bother replying to threads where they have nothing to add.

Also, calling the guy who opened this thread an idiot is rude, and not a way to get people to answer your questions either. Being rude will only make people want to ignore you (or be rude right back). Being nice goes a long way.
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

Well, that was not an insult, don't take me wrong. Idiot Was just a common idiom. You can replace it by the 'random guy'. How can someone could be offended by something that is devoid of facts? I've just used the first word that came to my head.
Well, anyway, my reputation is stained now. (And, I don't like when people begin to behave like boring asses, I'll be better quit then would continue to talk to such guys. I think you all must be more opened to people and to all new).
Sorry if I offended someone. Didn't wanna to do that, really.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

RyoDC wrote:Well, that was not an insult, don't take me wrong. Idiot Was just a common idiom.
Every native speaker of English that I know would be offended if referred to as an idiot.
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

Man, that is so not nice.
No wonder why you don't get replies.
This forum is to help people with programming issues.
We're open to new people but insulting is not the way to go...
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

Again, I'm sorry for such inconvenience. I've changed my way of dealing.