Recommended Graphics for Dreamcast

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
speewave
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Recommended Graphics for Dreamcast

Post by speewave »

So far i've seen KGL and Paralax...

What Has better Function\Easy Code\Performance-Quality

what do most of you developers use?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Recommended Graphics for Dreamcast

Post by BlueCrab »

I personally go at the hardware directly by sending it my own primitives with the pvr_* functions. That's going to be the fastest way to do anything, but it doesn't do any perspective transformations or anything else of the like that you get with KGL.

Basically, what it boils down to is what you feel most comfortable working with. Parallax is an extremely thin wrapper over the pvr_* functionality, providing a few niceties for you. KGL is a higher-level API that gives you 3D transformations without having to think too much about it. Neither KGL nor Parallax have a huge performance difference, but you will get slightly higher fillrate out of Parallax due to how thin it actually is.

If you're doing 3D, and don't feel like dealing with doing matrix manipulation yourself; or if easier portability to PC is important (note, KGL is slightly different than normal OpenGL, so your OpenGL using PC code will not just compile with it), use KGL. If you're doing 2D, and don't feel like dealing directly with pvr_poly_cxt_t and pvr_vertex_t objects, use Parallax. Yes, both KGL and Parallax can do both 3D and 2D, but they're mostly more suited toward one or the other in my opinion.
speewave
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by speewave »

now what about RAM... will KGL-X\KGL occupy more RAM over Parallax?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Well, parallax itself is extremely thin. It takes up very little in the way of code or data. KGL/KGL-X will take up more space. However, it probably won't make too much of a difference that it should sway your thinking.