xbox 360 elite vs arcade?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

xbox 360 elite vs arcade?

Post by arrowhead »

Heres what I want to do: I want a 360. Im going to do a homebrew mod, so I dont care about online play, and I doubt I would buy anything from the online store. Still on dial up anyway btw.

So, the only differences between arcade and elite are one is black, the other white. Not a deal breaker. One has 256MB memory vs 120 GB, the only real concern I have.

Is that memory plenty for day to day play and saves? Can I upgrade to more later?

For what I want to do, can I get by with the arcade? Or do I really need the memory?

Any help is appreciated.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Re: xbox 360 elite vs arcade?

Post by mrandyk »

Well I think you would really need the memory, but there is something between the arcade and elite. I think it has 60 gb of storage and is either $50 or $100 cheaper than the elite.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Can I ask 1 question, why on earth would you want a 360 strictly for homebrew? I admit I don't follow the 360 homebrew scene, but is there really much worth getting excited about? If there were a console I'd want for homebrew it'd be PSP/Xbox/Wii and I have all 3.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

arrowhead wrote:Heres what I want to do: I want a 360. Im going to do a homebrew mod, so I dont care about online play, and I doubt I would buy anything from the online store. Still on dial up anyway btw.

So, the only differences between arcade and elite are one is black, the other white. Not a deal breaker. One has 256MB memory vs 120 GB, the only real concern I have.

Is that memory plenty for day to day play and saves? Can I upgrade to more later?

For what I want to do, can I get by with the arcade? Or do I really need the memory?

Any help is appreciated.
If by homebrew you mean piracy, then you're going to need a hard drive. Actually, a lot of newer games require hard drives now IIRC. And in case you'd ever want to play an original Xbox game, you'd need a hard drive. Just get a Pro, it's only $50 more than an Arcade.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

For homebrew purposes, you might as well pick up a second-hand Xbox for $40 and mod it for another $8 or so... It's still the king.

EDIT: If you are getting a 360 for homebrew, better find a used Elite (at least used Elites are more prone to work properly) and quick.. That late summer update killed the exploit.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I use an external hdd for my 360...and wii.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Its not that I want it STRICTLY for homebrew, but I have exploited every console I have owned since the saturn, and Im not going to stop now because of xbox live. Its kind of like not liking to be told what to do by a parent: I want to do it because they say I cant.

Anyway, It seems MS is only making new elites, and arcades now. I dont want the arcade, and 300 bucks is too much right now, so I checked around, and gamestop is selling a microsoft refurbished pro with 2 controllers, and headset blah blah blah for 199. It comes with a 20 GB HD. And I guess I can upgrade to a bigger HD later if I need to. It carries a 1 year microsoft warranty, and 3 years on the red ring. So, it seems like the best choice. And I imagine if it is a refurb, then it already had the RROD so it has probably been fixed correctly.

Smiley, how do you use an external HD with the 360? Using the homebrew linux?
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

There are hundreds of banned 360s on Craigslist for cheap if you don't mind the limitation.

As for a general recommendation, I'm using more than half of my Elite's hard drive just through normal gaming usage (no movies, music, etc). Only way to go, IMO.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

You can never have too much storage and you can always have too little.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

arrowhead wrote:Its not that I want it STRICTLY for homebrew, but I have exploited every console I have owned since the saturn, and Im not going to stop now because of xbox live. Its kind of like not liking to be told what to do by a parent: I want to do it because they say I cant.
As someone who has had his older, spare 360 banned I can say I didn't find any point in modding it after I was banned. I can't play online, I can't get updates, I assume I can't use any DLC (I mainly play music games anyway) as I can't connect to Live. To me, my banned console is completely worthless. I can't even stream movies to it.

As for storage, I bought a 120GB HDD a few years back. I couldn't game without it, I only have 30GB free as it is.

Also Smiley, how do you use an external HDD?

Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

You plug the hdd int the usb and go to the videos tab...Im using a samsung 500g...Ive downloaded carp loads of ovies and tv shows....yay. No other mods required...
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Oh you mean for that. Oh I just stream mine over my network anyway. I thought you meant for games and stuff also. :lol: Yeah I've done that before, but like I said I'd rather stream them, they're on my PC already so I might as well just stream it.